Home Precious Metals
Options

So, I strangely want this...

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭

Maybe not a real PM but folks do hoard copper. See photo. $7.99 oz.

Oh, and to make this a legit PM message. As soon as spot silver went over $16 I posted an ASE ad and sold all 10 in minutes at $18, ding marks, spotting, and all. Albeit better stuff than I had been selling for that price.

COA

Comments

• Options
    MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

Cool, but 7.99 oz! Yikes! I know Geiger stuff commands a premium, usually, but that just seems like a cash grab to me!

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2019 11:46AM

Hate to say what X melt this cost. :)

• Options

I have a feeling if they were going to bother with the copper market, it had to be worth more than a dollar profit. I would do the same. But its not an investment thing as much as a collectors thing.

@MattTheRiley said:
    Cool, but 7.99 oz! Yikes! I know Geiger stuff commands a premium, usually, but that just seems like a cash grab to me!

COA
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know a guy that bought a bunch of tin ingots , he insists that there will be some sort of demand for it

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

I own a generic kilo brick just for fun. I think way back when I paid $9.99 and thought I was nuts. I suspect it will be worth less than melt until we have dug all the copper. Any day now.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Swampboy said:
    Hate to say what X melt this cost. :)

Mine was a gift. Kind of. I bought a collection and this was in the pile of things I didnt want, they were going to throw it away so I kept it as a paper weight.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way "cool" !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options

I'm not so sure why some would collect copper as well, but I do. They make great gifts.
    I've tried this too; Put an eagle or silver quarter in one palm and a copper 1oz coin in the other palm, and ask which one they want.

@idratherbgardening said:
    You need all three!

COA
  • Options

I would def like all three, but maybe start with the silver and copper.

COA
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking collection tneig! I do not own any, but I see why you like them.

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2019 9:36AM

@MsMorrisine said:
    I own a generic kilo brick just for fun. I think way back when I paid $9.99 and thought I was nuts. I suspect it will be worth less than melt until we have dug all the copper. Any day now.

I notice that APMEX is selling Geiger Copper kilos for about 66 bucks a piece.

I like the look of it, but the price turned me off...

https://www.apmex.com/product/87445/1000-gram-copper-bar-geiger-poured-9999-fine

Tneig, I feel there same about the one ounce... It's pretty yes, but so much premium for an in production semi-precious piece.

Don't forget, it's most likely gonna look like a square of chocolate after a while if it doesn't come in/stay sealed in plastic.

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few years ago, I got the 500g and kilo poured coppers by Geiger, I overpaid, but it's ok. I like them. :)

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the look of the small lump better

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭✭✭

@idratherbgardening said:
    You need all three!

I'm surprised how close in size those appear to be. The thickness must be quite different no?

• Options

@VanHalen said:
    I'm surprised how close in size those appear to be. The thickness must be quite different no?

Yes the thicknesses are different especially on the gold one. APMEX had both the silver and copper for sale at one point but the gold one I had a friend buy for me in Germany.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not 'collected' copper rounds or squares... I do have a couple of copper rounds that I acquired somehow... years ago... do not remember how or why. I stick with gold or silver for my PM stacks... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

I really like the look of a set of copper, silver, gold. Nice!

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

I looked for these but I could not find any for sale right now. I want the Cu and Ag ones, I really like the look of the full set with Au, but I could afford the first two now!

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you can buy it wholesale, buy copper tubing.
    https://www.macrotrends.net/1476/copper-prices-historical-chart-data

It's not only copper, but a fabricated product that is always in demand.

:)

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got a few copper rounds thru the years that's about it.