Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

fake michael jordan rookie cards

i was given two cards , i think they are fake, or reprints, i will make a video of them and post the link, i don't wanna sell them on ebay until i am sure, my eyesight isn't too great, i will purchase a good magnifying glass and trying to see the comparison with real and fake cards on youtube and other places, i am like 99% sure these are fake but how can i be certain? people talk about the decimal point on the back, and other things, i certainly don't wanna cheat anybody. thank you

Comments

• Options
    wadevlwadevl Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

the fact they were "Given"
    unless it was via a Will or inheritance, should give you some pretty good insight

Lucky
    BIGLEAGUE SportsCards
    "Respect The Hobby"
    www.bigleaguesc.com
    https://www.ebay.com/str/bigleagueseller
  • Options

my fiance's husband was a internet ebay sports card seller, my fiance sent me these cards so i can verify if it is good and then sell them on ebay to invest in a new business, she has 7 more cards to send to me,these two cards were sent to see if they can be shipped to me successfully or not, and yes one more jordan card, i finally got the right glasses, and yes looking at the videos i see on youtube, my suspicions seem to be correct. They do seem to be reprints or fake michael jordan cards, i will still get the magnifying glass and check it out further. one place here charges only $3.50/card to grade it and the shipping would be $32 round trip, gma on county line rd here in florida, maybe my fiance would like to make sure they are fake, that might be the best way, i haven't touched a card since the 70's! i had a great collection of baseball cards locked in a steel box, my mother throw away the box! but what are you gonna do right? forgive mom and kiss her! i can't believe how much psa charges ! i haven't called them up yet. sgc i called up and they seem to be ok, except that how am i supposed to know the value of a card? i mean the card is off center, so even if it was a real mj rookie card, it would be a 10. and the prices on ebay are very big range! yet these places want you to estimate the value! lol. and i have seen some people in videos who receive cards get a grading of 8, then they guess as to why they got an 8? these companies don't tell you what kept it from being a 10? wow! i guess it would take a little while to write you a note telling you why it wasn't a 10, but when your talking about a lot of money, i think it would be good to know exactly why the card didn't get a 10 right? well i hope the other 7 cards will be legit, and if not , oh well, they didn't cost me anything. well except that i was hoping to do a couple of things with the money. but first i need to be sure these cards are legit or fake. perhaps the husband before he died was scammed himself, or he didn't trust his wife with a real michael jordan rookie card or who knows what was the reason. i will scan it and post it and see what is what, thank you for your replies, have a nice day. beckett , i called them, some indian guys answered the phone and both times they said someone would call me back, and i never got a call from beckett, they are in dallas texas which perhaps would cost me like $102 in shipping one way with fedex and proper insurance. but first i have to make sure they are real or fake. just because the dead husband got scammed or he lied to my fiance back then, doesn't mean i have to scam another right? i have done my good deed for the day! lol

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you have a proper plan in place. Everything makes perfect sense. If you do not have a quality magnifying glass take a Red Solo Cup and cut off the bottom. Take saran wrap and cover the bottom and keep in place with duck tape. This will work for magnification plus you can still drink beer from it. Good luck!!

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

Once you get them, post scans here. You will get answers very, very quickly.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh dear....

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like reprint cards that look like the real thing.
    I bought something off of eBay. This was sent in the package.
    It clearly say reprint on the back.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options

@UFFDAH said:
    I think you have a proper plan in place. Everything makes perfect sense. If you do not have a quality magnifying glass take a Red Solo Cup and cut off the bottom. Take saran wrap and cover the bottom and keep in place with duck tape. This will work for magnification plus you can still drink beer from it. Good luck!!

wow i need more coffee! did i just read what i read?! lol

• Options

@stwainfan said:
    I don't like reprint cards that look like the real thing.
    I bought something off of eBay. This was sent in the package.
    It clearly say reprint on the back.

yeah that makes it easier for sure! and i see that my cards have the front arrow the same yellow color, so i am like 99.999% sure it is false

• Options

looking at this card with a madnifying glass

what is supposed to be
    27.2 for michael jordan avg is just 27 2
    so i guess this is a fake as far as i can see on the net, right?
    also the lines on the bulls forehead isn't very clear when magnified

and if it really was real, why didn't the original owner the husband of my fiance grade the card and sell it?! he knew it was fake! unfortunately i might have to send it to a grader to [prove to my fiance that her husband lied to her and told her these cards were very valuable, or he was scammed, but would a guy who sold cards on ebay for a living not realize these are fake?! nah

oh well i still can wait and see the 7 new cards and see if they are real or not, those might be harder to see if they are real or fake, these are not as copied as mj's rookie card!

my sister . who has a collection of baseball cards says i should send it to be graded because by my own opinion i am not an expert but seeing these tell tale signs seem to indicate there are fake,,,what's the use eh?

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@victorious said:
    my fiance's husband was a internet ebay sports card seller, my fiance sent me these cards so i can verify if it is good and then sell them on ebay to invest in a new business, she has 7 more cards to send to me,these two cards were sent to see if they can be shipped to me successfully or not, and yes one more jordan card, i finally got the right glasses, and yes looking at the videos i see on youtube, my suspicions seem to be correct. They do seem to be reprints or fake michael jordan cards, i will still get the magnifying glass and check it out further. one place here charges only $3.50/card to grade it and the shipping would be $32 round trip, gma on county line rd here in florida, maybe my fiance would like to make sure they are fake, that might be the best way, i haven't touched a card since the 70's! i had a great collection of baseball cards locked in a steel box, my mother throw away the box! but what are you gonna do right? forgive mom and kiss her! i can't believe how much psa charges ! i haven't called them up yet. sgc i called up and they seem to be ok, except that how am i supposed to know the value of a card? i mean the card is off center, so even if it was a real mj rookie card, it would be a 10. and the prices on ebay are very big range! yet these places want you to estimate the value! lol. and i have seen some people in videos who receive cards get a grading of 8, then they guess as to why they got an 8? these companies don't tell you what kept it from being a 10? wow! i guess it would take a little while to write you a note telling you why it wasn't a 10, but when your talking about a lot of money, i think it would be good to know exactly why the card didn't get a 10 right? well i hope the other 7 cards will be legit, and if not , oh well, they didn't cost me anything. well except that i was hoping to do a couple of things with the money. but first i need to be sure these cards are legit or fake. perhaps the husband before he died was scammed himself, or he didn't trust his wife with a real michael jordan rookie card or who knows what was the reason. i will scan it and post it and see what is what, thank you for your replies, have a nice day. beckett , i called them, some indian guys answered the phone and both times they said someone would call me back, and i never got a call from beckett, they are in dallas texas which perhaps would cost me like $102 in shipping one way with fedex and proper insurance. but first i have to make sure they are real or fake. just because the dead husband got scammed or he lied to my fiance back then, doesn't mean i have to scam another right? i have done my good deed for the day! lol

If you send them to GMA, odds are they will come back in a holder as original even if they said reprint on the back. Remember, you get what you pay for when it comes to grading/authentication. There's a reason they only charge $3.50/card and have them back to you in a week. It's a dude in his basement basically putting the cards in holders. And if you knew the were indeed real, that is for sure not the place you want to send your valuables. Just my opnion.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options

this is one card

• Options
    PopeyesSpinachPopeyesSpinach Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2019 10:48AM

@victorious said:

@UFFDAH said:

in fact why not just leave the cup full of beer and look directly through the beer? You know how beer makes everything look better haha

• Options

i scanned it with scan app on my computer it doesn't seem to be able to be posted here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx1Rr23YIgg

• Options

youtube got it, hopefully the next 7 will be real!

• Options

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@victorious said:

If you send them to GMA, odds are they will come back in a holder as original even if they said reprint on the back. Remember, you get what you pay for when it comes to grading/authentication. There's a reason they only charge $3.50/card and have them back to you in a week. It's a dude in his basement basically putting the cards in holders. And if you knew the were indeed real, that is for sure not the place you want to send your valuables. Just my opnion.

perhaps, they guy didn't want me to deliver it there, where as the place in ft lauderdale fl (sgc) did say they accept cards in their store! sgc! i pray the next 7 are real, buyer beware eh? that would be very bad if they were to come back as original! hmmm i guess i could google map the address and see what it is!? and business , a house , or what i am curious! yes if i get a real card, sending it to any place is a risk, but o did feel god about sgc! beckett definitely not, with the indian call center guys, i felt like they were to sell me a code to unlock the error message on my computer or take my credit card information to pay my taxes! lol psa i never called them , but i guess one has to be very careful, perhaps make a good video of the whole card and seal it up and ship it out on video , just in case they send you the wrong card!

• Options
    remedylaneremedylane Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

SGC is legit. That's who I use. Anyone will tell you that PSA and SGC are by far the most respected in the hobby.

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@victorious said:

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@victorious said:

perhaps, they guy didn't want me to deliver it there, where as the place in ft lauderdale fl (sgc) did say they accept cards in their store! sgc! i pray the next 7 are real, buyer beware eh? that would be very bad if they were to come back as original! hmmm i guess i could google map the address and see what it is!? and business , a house , or what i am curious! yes if i get a real card, sending it to any place is a risk, but o did feel god about sgc! beckett definitely not, with the indian call center guys, i felt like they were to sell me a code to unlock the error message on my computer or take my credit card information to pay my taxes! lol psa i never called them , but i guess one has to be very careful, perhaps make a good video of the whole card and seal it up and ship it out on video , just in case they send you the wrong card!

Any of the big 3 are fine to use. PSA, SGC or Beckett. If it is fake, they will let you know.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@victorious said:

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@victorious said:

Any of the big 3 are fine to use. PSA, SGC or Beckett. If it is fake, they will let you know.

If it is fake, they will let you know.

ty that made my day! lol

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PopeyesSpinach said:

@victorious said:

@UFFDAH said:

in fact why not just leave the cup full of beer and look directly through the beer? You know how beer makes everything look better haha

Trust me that beer trick works. I've had beer turn a 5 into 10 so good luck!

Kevin

• Options

beer trick might not work on me, i have enough trouble without drinking! if i was to send these cards in , and it was to come back as real, that would really be something? almost grand theft!

• Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

If it ends up being fake I hope you make the right decision. If it’s real then I’d share your excitement. The ups and downs that make this hobby so addictive!

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums