Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Neat coin

Fellow collectors,

Regardless of what genre of numismatics anyone is interested in, interest boils down to some level of appreciation, respect and perceived value for rarity. Since rarity is no more than a mathematical equation sometimes things surface that make me (and likely others) wonder "what are the odds"?

Although the posted coin may not be of interest to many I feel it's still a fun one to wonder (as in a genuine mathematical equation) "what are the odds"?

To me, the dynamic of this specimen that's more inconceivable than the oddity and rarity of itself is that it's circulated to the level of XF. I don't have any clue how many times a copper cent needs to be handled to transform from mint state to XF but it's amazing to me that this oddity and rarity went that long (MS to XF) unnoticed!

The coin is a 1955 Doubled Die Lincoln struck on a tapered (end of planchet strip) planchet.

Kinda fun! (sorry for the less than ideal images)

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a really neat coin and I see what you mean.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2019 10:33AM

A significant error on a major variety. No idea on odds, but slim to say the least. Nice coin.

As to how it went unnoticed for so long, I don't think it did. It went unappreciated for a period of time (assuming it did not spend some time as someone's pocket piece).

My aunt told me the story of how she gave a 55 DD to the paper boy back in the day. She saw what it was but did not think it worth saving at the time.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super cool!!

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe there are at least two (including the OP's)
    '55 Doubled Dies on tapered end planchets.There
    might be a few more.

Great 'Double Error' piece.

I have a '55 DD with a small clipped planchet in a
    old small white ANACS holder, AU I think.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome...and nice coin!

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to CU :) that is a Very Vey Fine 55/55 <3

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

welcome to the forums as well. that is nice ddo 1955, I like

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:

Whaaat? Isn't the 55 DD a die variety? ;):D

As a young collector I always called it an error but I learned somewhere along the way that a DD is a variety. Did I get bad information? :#

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice presentation of the 55 @EScott83! Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

@FredWeinberg said:

Whaaat? Isn't the 55 DD a die variety? ;):D

As a young collector I always called it an error but I learned somewhere along the way that a DD is a variety. Did I get bad information? :#

This coin has both an error and a variety. The DDO is the variety, and the tapered planchet is the error.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    TrazTraz Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭

Back in the 90s. I found a DDO. Not knowing what it was I tossed it into the “beer fund” jar. Oh well.

Always nice to have one, congrats

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool indeed! Welcome to the forums.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing it with us! Welcome!

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredWeinberg said:
    I believe there are at least two (including the OP's)
    '55 Doubled Dies on tapered end planchets.There
    might be a few more.

I have a '55 DD with a small clipped planchet in a
    old small white ANACS holder, AU I think.

Fred,

I have also seen two tapered planchets, one was an old white ANACS XF45 and the other might have been raw. The ANACS coin was tapered at the date, which killed the eye appeal of the DDO.

I would love to see your clipped example, I heard third-hand about one that Mike Byers sold, I wonder if yours is the same coin.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not everyone back in the day had an appreciation for these pieces. My mother spent one to pay the water bill in upstate New York. She actually commented on the coin as she was handing it over to the clerk... "the guy that made this must have been drunk"...

...and the rest, as they say... is history.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool to find a major error on a major variety. Congrats and welcome.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    EScott83EScott83 Posts: 90 ✭✭✭

Hi Gang!

Thanks for the kind words and for the nice welcome!

It's a fun coin and I'm super happy to have a place to share it.

John

• Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭

Very nice and interesting coin! Thank you for sharing

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool coin. I've wondered if errors on rare coins increase or decrease the value compared to an un-errored rare coin. Either way, that one is neat.

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sean, now that you mention it, I might have
    two of 'em.

One I bought back in the mid-late '70's, and
    yes, I kinda remember Mike B.'s coin, which
    I think I also bought !

At some point, I'll have to go thru my material
    and see if I have both of them.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2019 8:12AM
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

@savitale said:
    Cool coin. I've wondered if errors on rare coins increase or decrease the value compared to an un-errored rare coin. Either way, that one is neat.

This topic has been covered many times on the forum, search the term "white elephant" and a few threads will pop up. My experience buying key dates and/or varieties on incomplete planchets is that the error will bring anything from a slight premium to about a 20% discount, depending on factors like overall rarity and eye appeal.

The problem with valuing coins like the OP's is that variety collectors / set builders will typically want their key dates error-free, while error collectors will not want to pay a premium for a rare date. The tiny area in the Venn diagram where those two types of collectors overlap (and where I like to hang out) is where you have to find your market.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options

Interesting info posted!

Just as blanket offer....I'll purchase 100% of all errors on a 1955 Doubled Die cent at a slight premium to 20% discount of the going value of the parent 1955 Doubled Die parent coin.

I'll report back with how many offers come my way and post images of the coins.

Exciting stuff!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EScott83... Welcome aboard... and that is certainly an interesting cent...I had not seen one before...
    I do not understand what you said in the post right above this... .. What is a 'parent' coin'?? Cheers, RickO

• Options

Hi Ricko,

Nice to (sorta-kinda) meet. Thanks for the compliment. First let me apologize for typing "parent" twice....oops!

I've heard talk of other 1955 Doubled Die Lincoln's on tapered planchets but in 25 years I've yet to see one or even a photo of one.

The term "parent" coin refers to the primary base coin of a given variety or error, AKA the entity necessary for the birth of the variety. An example would be that the parent coin for a 1955 Doubled Die would be regular 1955 cent. If there were no 1955 cents there would be no 1955 Doubled Die cents. The "parent" for a regular 1955 cent is a blank planchet and so on.

I must confess that after reading what I wrote it was incorrect. Technically the 1955 Doubled Die on a tapered planchet would be a 1955 Doubled Die on the "parent" tapered planchet.

Chat soon!

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to CU, very nice example !!! :)

Timbuk3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file