Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA Graded Items

Is anyone else seeing more interest and higher prices for superstar PSA graded items? I bid on quite a few items weekly and am seeing prices go significantly higher than the PSA price guide. I know the guide is just that, “a guide”, and is probably not current, but many auctions bid close to that value. More interest in graded items, undervalued guide, or both?

Comments

• Options
    PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 301 ✭✭✭✭

Good luck getting anything close to the SMR value, whether it's auction or Buy It Now. If you enjoy the thrill of the hunt and have the time and patience, wait for those raw card auctions that receive limited views/bidders and pounce when you have the opportunity. Then wait another 6-8 months to receive the disappointing grade back from PSA!

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

@PNWcollector said:
    Good luck getting anything close to the SMR value, whether it's auction or Buy It Now. If you enjoy the thrill of the hunt and have the time and patience, wait for those raw card auctions that receive limited views/bidders and pounce when you have the opportunity. Then wait another 6-8 months to receive the disappointing grade back from PSA!

Have purchased some raw cards from Greg Morris auctions, sent them to PSA, and had mixed results. Wonder why PSA doesn’t update SMR moreoften, too much work, not enough staff, etc.?

• Options
    PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 301 ✭✭✭✭

@PatsGuy5000 said:

@PNWcollector said:

Have purchased some raw cards from Greg Morris auctions, sent them to PSA, and had mixed results. Wonder why PSA doesn’t update SMR moreoften, too much work, not enough staff, etc.?

PSA can't even get cards graded in a timely manner, so I doubt they have the time to update the SMR. I stay away from the Greg Morris auctions as you are bound to overpay due to his huge following and his sometimes aggressive grades he assigns.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2019 3:32PM

I think the SMR values are there as a guide and nothing more. If you want up to the minute pricing, use PSA APR (Auction Prices Revealed) - free and solid tool for PSA cards.

I think comparing the two can give you a nice range.

I know when I sell some cards to load the coffers from time to time, I go right to APR to see what my card is worth and usually go to the lowest price it has sold at recently and lost it at the price.

I would also say that who sold the card matters. And I must understand that I am NOT going to get PWCC or all time high prices on something unless it is very unique and hasn’t been up for sale/auction in a long time AND is in great demand. Tempered expectations help sales and if you are buying or selling, be informed and willing to negotiate some between both SMR and APR and you should reach a deal...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest