Home Precious Metals
Options

Cool new addition

ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

So my friend that has a coin shop buys scrap silver and gold. Every year or so, he gathers up the sterling and breaks up what needs broken up and gets it ready for shipment to the refiners.

I’ve helped him a couple of times in the past as it’s a lot of work, plus he likes that I can advise on what pieces not to melt.

Anyway yesterday we did a batch and I found this super cool serving fork. I asked him if I could buy it for my collection and he said “we’ll talk when everything is done”

The job is finished and he says ah, you can just have it. :smiley:

So, as a super cool gift, I added this to the asheland collection:

Let’s see if anyone is familiar with the maker... it’s an earlier example, too. c.1925-30
@Weiss should like this one.

Comments

• Options

Thanks!

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice Asheland! I was surprised to see so much info on Georg Jensen while doing a quick search. I’ll have to read up on them.

• Options

@Downtown1974 said:
    Very nice Asheland! I was surprised to see so much info on Georg Jensen while doing a quick search. I’ll have to read up on them.

They made some nice stuff and it can get pricey. I was thrilled to get this example... :)

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, that's a cool piece. Jensen is highly collectible. Do a search on their jewelry!

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool silver piece..... I like the old items... and still searching for a one pint tankard... sterling...I have seen a few, but either engraved, damaged or priced beyond reason... I am a patient man.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko patience is your best friend in this business.
    Once the silver bug bites you, you’re finished! ;)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland .... Very nice items....I know what you mean about the 'silver bug'... I have a few engraved tankards (not the traditional shape I seek).... However, the engraving, though well done, is not pertinent to me. So I will look for what pleases me...maybe sell the engraved pieces at some point. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice pick-up, congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

way cool asheland, a nice score :)

• Options

Thanks everybody! :)

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is cool! What was the use for the fork? Did a quick goog and the best I could figure was for pastries?

• Options

@Hemispherical said:
    That is cool! What was the use for the fork? Did a quick goog and the best I could figure was for pastries?

I'm not really sure on this one, I just call it a serving fork. Possibly a cold meat fork...

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

That may be a rarer pattern for Georg Jensen - I'm not sure but I haven't seen that one before although I immediately suspected it was a Georg Jensen design when I first saw the picture.

• Options

@dcarr said:
    That may be a rarer pattern for Georg Jensen - I'm not sure but I haven't seen that one before although I immediately suspected it was a Georg Jensen design when I first saw the picture.

From what I have gathered so far, indeed it's a lot less common. I can't find any specific information about the year it was designed but I suspect it's one that Georg Jensen designed himself. Compared to the other patterns available, it seems much scarcer going on the quantity of available pieces. It can be found online simply as pattern #72

Acorn is like the 1881-S Morgan, there are pages and pages of available listings, this pattern throughout the internet, I want to say I found less than ten examples around. I'm happy to add such a piece to the collection. :)