Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is your response time (load time) on the PCGS Cert Verification Page when loading the full img?

WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 16, 2019 3:02AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Help me out.

1. Go to this page ... https://www.pcgs.com/cert/36172113

2. Click on the TrueView Thumnail Image ...

3. And post how many seconds elapse before the larger TrueView Image loads on your screen

Comments

• Options
    edited February 16, 2019 3:12AM

For me, running on a high speed wired network (with download speeds clocked at 110 Gbps), the larger (full size) TrueView image loads in ...

16 seconds

Wow, that seems really long. Studies have shown that most web visitors will "click away" (aka "leave") if something doesn't load in under 5 seconds. High speed internet has made most web surfers really impatient.

I wonder if this is the same for everybody or if it's just me. (Maybe the fact I am in Maryland and PCGS is in California? That can't be it.)

I am having a hard time believing that the cause is the PCGS Server (or data base access) is that slow. So it must be something else.

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

19 seconds at 125.4mbps download speed.

Worth the wait though, that's a beautiful Lincoln.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2019 3:13AM

Oh I think I see one problem ...

PCGS is linking to the HUGE 5757 x 2905 pixel size image (the _Max version in their database). That weighs in at a whopping 47.8 MB. Nobody will be able to fully view a 5757 pixel width image (even on a huge desktop screen).

PCGS should be linking to the "screen friendly" 1140 x 575 pixel size image (the _Large version in their database).

This will load much, much faster. Improving the response time for the Cert Verification Page and make PCGS look like they know what they are doing. Altho I am sure PCGS won't be motivated to fix that.

I least I see now why the PCGS Cert Verification Page is messed up

• Options
    edited February 16, 2019 5:49AM

if PCGS ... On all Cert Verification pages ... instead of linking to the MAX size 5757 pixel width TrueView image (47.8 MB) ... instead linked to the LARGE size 1140 pixel width TrueView image (1.8 MB) ... the click-through photo would load 27 times faster! Reducing the response time or load time from a way-too-long 16 to 20 seconds ... to a lightning fast 1/2 second.

Most huge desktop screens display only about 1920 pixels max, and laptops and mobile devices much less (under 1000 pixels). So loading a huge 5757 pixel width image is a huge overkill, which unnecessarily slows down response time.

PCGS should hire me as an internet consultant. ;)

Easy changes like this would really make pcgs look much more competent and user friendly.

PCGS are you listening?

• Options
    KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2019 3:04AM

I agree, I'm not sure why PCGS links to the full-size image. Linking to the large one should be more than enough for casual viewing and verification.

If you are ever in a rush, and want to check the TrueView on the cert verification page, you can right-click the loading wheel icon and select "open image in new tab" and then change the URL manually, from "max" to "large".

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

at 300bps pers sec +. it still takes a good 10 seconds

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are very large images.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

It took my laptop 7 seconds, but the image that opened wasn't max size. Although when I drag it to my desktop it says it is 5757x2905.

• Options
    BrettPCGSBrettPCGS Posts: 159 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s slow right now due to some temporary additional security layers our IT team has had to implement on our website. Loads very fast on the mobile app as that’s unaffected.

Brett Charville --- I work at PCGS

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

15 seconds on 120MB service. It is always slow on those giant files on the PCGS site. (Not just lately, for me anyway)

I think you are tricking all of us into looking at your nice coin!

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

20-30 seconds for me on my MacBook Pro.
    Pretty much standard for me but kind of a disappointment.
    5 seconds would be better.

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2019 12:45PM

I dont think there’s much need to link to the huge pic on the cert verification page. Most of the time it takes 3 or 4 tries and usually only a portion of the pic loads on my mobile.

Seems like it would free up a lot of bandwidth especially for people constantly refreshing their “order” screen. :wink:

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2019 2:33PM

It took me 13.35 and 9.33 seconds just go to to that page :(

1. Click on the TrueView Thumnail Image ...

2. And post how many seconds elapse before the larger TrueView Image loads on your screen

It took just 2.78 and 2.16 seconds to bring up the image.

• Options
    TrazTraz Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭

About six seconds. The problem for me is that link usually hangs half way so I immediately click the download icon at top right and it opens without issue.

Never investigated but it’s all of my devices.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, it was fourteen seconds.... Not bad... but most of the time, things load faster.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited February 16, 2019 5:06PM

I also get a lot of those frozen loads — partially completed. Maybe 10% of the img loads then it frezzes. Same issue in the registry.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been slow for quite a while. Unless it's something I'm really serious about buying, I seldom even bother trying anymore.

• Options

Pcgs has some real problems serving images.

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

Oof... serving a 48 MB file as the first image.. that is like a web developer fundamental error. Show a couple meg image with the choice of viewing the full after the smaller image loads.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file