Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Original Sealed US Proof Set ?

RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1953-Proof-Set-UNOPENED-BOX-Mint-Sealed-Cameos-Double-Dies/273646158899?hash=item3fb6950433:g:OfkAAOSwNphcNPe9:rk:35:pf:0

Is this original sealed US Proof Set?
It seems original but how do I know the set has not been opened and resealed?

Comments

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe.

However the asking price is excessive. The chances of the sealed box containing Cameo's varieties, etc. that would have a value sufficient to justify the asking price is very, very, very, remote.

The few times I paid for unopened proof sets (yellow flat packs) I was disappointed. For example, I bought 4-5 sealed 1959 sets. When I opened them, not only were there no cherries in the sets, the coins in the sets were ugly as they had numerous dark spots and other flaws on them.

Pass.

• Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2019 2:09PM

Thanks "291" and "Sanction"
    I don't look for Cameo type coins because I also believe that the chances are very remote but I like to be the first person who opens the box since its issued date. Yes I agree that the price is high for the set in the link. Years ago, I bought an opened 1953 box proof set (sight unseen) for $265. All the coins in that box set were average except the dark red and beautiful Lincoln Cent.

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    You don't.

I have heard of people purchasing 'unopened' proof sets and viewing the washers that were inside.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

That tape can be steamed and very easily resealed looking like it was never opened.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

it looks OK to me but the Premium precludes opening the set. I would move on and look for much more reasonably priced sets at coin shows where you can actually look at the coins.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seller has OBO on listing.....make an offer you would be comfortable with.

• Options
    earlycoinsearlycoins Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

How does one actually know the year? It appears that the numerals 1 9 5 3 are hand written on the box in ball point.

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be
    Could be home made also

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are experts on here and elsewhere that can give you an idea if it had been opened. I don't like that look, and I don't like the hype attached.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

tape too clean.... shows no age.....pass

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

pig in a poke

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

How crazy is it to contemplate paying too much money for the urge to open that package to find what? Oh by the way...no returns on whatever is inside. Dude, go to a coin show and buy exactly what you are looking for from a reputable dealer.
    Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

It could be, but I must warn you that counterfeit gray boxes have been around for a long time. I would also warn you that the chances of getting any cameo coins out of this are slim.

Having said that I do have this in my collection. Here is a group of five 1952 Proof sets with original outer mailing wrapper. It was originally mailed to a Catholic priest in Dorchester, Massachusetts. Two of the boxes have not been opened. I am quite sure that they don't contain any Cameo coins. The other three sets are the typical very bright, highly polished Proof coins that one normally encounters with the 1952 Proof sets.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lottery ticket might be more rewarding and give you a similar thrill ;)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    A lottery ticket might be more rewarding and give you a similar thrill ;)

Cheaper too.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just say no.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file