Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you ever pay sales or use tax on your coin purchases?

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depending on where you live, how you buy your coins, or what you do for a living, you may be able to legitimately or illegitimately avoid sales or use tax on most or all of your coin purchases.

I'm NOT interested in hearing about how you manage to avoid the taxes, or why you shouldn't have to pay the taxes.

I WOULD like to hear about purchases that you have made despite having to pay the tax, or deals that you have not done because they were taxable.

FWIW, I've found that most buyers at coin shows will walk away a deal if they are required to pay sales tax. But that's just my experience. I'd like to hear more.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    Depending on where you live, how you buy your coins, or what you do for a living, you may be able to legitimately or illegitimately avoid sales or use tax on most or all of your coin purchases.

I'm NOT interested in hearing about how you manage to avoid the taxes, or why you shouldn't have to pay the taxes.

I WOULD like to hear about purchases that you have made despite having to pay the tax, or deals that you have not done because they were taxable.

FWIW, I've found that most buyers at coin shows will walk away a deal if they are required to pay sales tax. But that's just my experience. I'd like to hear more.

If you are at a coin show that requires sales tax then technically EVERY dealer needs to be charging you sales tax. [Bullion exemption noted.] So, you could probably make some money turning in the dealers who aren't charging sales tax.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am fickle, I cut back purchasing from some dealers because they started charging it, others I always paid so it wasn't an issue. I think net net I have purchased less because of it.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

My last purchase from GC was subject to sales tax. I was aware of this ahead of bidding. I wanted the dollar. So, the 10% is extra dirt on the burial. I fully understand that some deals will fall apart over the extra 10% dead costs.

• Options

As a dealer, I’ve never had to pay sales tax. I do, however, sometimes have to pay VAT and export taxes on overseas purchases, and customs fees (on non-dutiable coins!) that I bring back to the USA.

Andy Lustig

• Options

@JBN said:
    My last purchase from GC was subject to sales tax. I was aware of this ahead of bidding. I wanted the dollar. So, the 10% is extra dirt on the burial. I fully understand that some deals will fall apart over the extra 10% dead costs.

Frankly, this is where a national VAT would level the playing field for everyone.

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in a no sales tax state.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2019 10:01AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@JBN said:

Frankly, this is where a national VAT would level the playing field for everyone.

True, but you might not like what would happen to the market if the tax causes people to think of coins as less of an investment or a savings plan, and more as “money spent “.

Andy Lustig

• Options

ational VAT would level the playing field for everyone.

True, but you might not like what would happen to the market if the tax causes people to think of coins as less of an investment or a savings plan, and more as “money spent “.

Actually, I would LOVE that. I tell everyone (on this board and elsewhere) that that is EXACTLY how they should view coin purchases.

I personally don't care if the price of coins goes up or drops. I don't care if demand goes up or down. You deal with the market as you find it.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2019 10:11AM

Not sure I've ever seen Sales Tax computed separately at a coin show(?)

My assumption is that either:
    1) The dealers are (legally) taking the total sale price, and backing out the required tax for the state.
    or
    2) Just not collecting and submitting it. (Which puts them in significant legal jeopardy, I would think. Particularly for local dealers doing it as a business at local shows).

I honestly don't know what MY requirements under either scenario are....particularly since I don't know which is taking place. I'd be interested if anyone would willingly tell me what they do, whether as a show dealer, or as a collector/buyer. ;)

As for online or auction sales tax, I keep it in mind when purchasing/bidding. I don't necessarily mentally add it to my bid or cost, but am just aware. I figure we all need to pay our taxes....somehow!....or the whole building collapses.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still trying to make enough money to pay income tax in this business.

• Options

@TommyType said:
    Not sure I've ever seen Sales Tax computed separately at a coin show(?)

My assumption is that either:
    1) The dealers are (legally) taking the total sale price, and backing out the required tax for the state.
    or
    2) Just not collecting and submitting it. (Which puts them in significant legal jeopardy, I would think. Particularly for local dealers doing it as a business at local shows).

I honestly don't know what MY requirements under either scenario are....particularly since I don't know which is taking place. I'd be interested if anyone would willingly tell me what they do, whether as a show dealer, or as a collector/buyer. ;)

As for online or auction sales tax, I keep it in mind when purchasing/bidding. I don't necessarily mentally add it to my bid or cost, but am just aware. I figure we all need to pay our taxes....somehow!....or the whole building collapses.

Well, first of all: some states don't have a sales tax on coins.

Some dealers will say (pretend?) that sales tax is part of the price. Whether it is or isn't depends on the honesty of the dealer. It is rather hard for States to track cash transactions. It is also a question of state-by-state laws as to whether it is even legitimate to (allegedly) include the sales tax as part of the price.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2019 11:15AM

Only once that I remember. It was at a coin show in California. It was my first purchase from a very well known, respected, dealer/numismatist. In my opinion he's the top expert in his field. Good guy too. Anyway, after that he never charged me any sales tax again. All my other purchases from him have been via the internet or through auctions conducted in a different state. I didn't mind because it's the law around here. Business is business. I just considered that he was being honest. Nothing wrong with that. Also, at other times when I have inquired about a coin.....he just sends it to me for approval. Even if I don't ask. Very trusting man. I think that says a lot about him. Those who trust are usually the most trustworthy. I think.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Luckily in NC they finally abolished sales tax on coins, currency and bullion. But in the past, I just bit the bullet and paid it. If I want the coin or whatever bad enough, I just figure it as part of the cost.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 58 years I have paid sales tax twice.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2019 12:14PM

Resale licenses work :)

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't remember B)

• Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins are exempt in GA so if I am somewhere where there is tax I arrange for the seller to ship me the coin. The idea of paying tax on a five figure coin is a deal breaker.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

My coin buying has dropped dramatically since ebay heritage Doug winter etc started to charge people in my state sales tax. I am a collector and dont mind losing some money on coins but adding another 5% has pushed me over the edge. I have purchased 1 coin since tax went into affect.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only once at the last big shooooow in Philly.
    One of the foreign mints charged me 60 cents tax on a sale, I told them there was no sales tax in PA on coins, but to no avail.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I paid use tax when I was dealer, when it was the law to do it. I have also been hit with sales taxes on foreign coins from Heritage.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

I currently don't have to pay sales tax on coins where I live. If I'm at a show where tax is in play, then I'll figure that into what I'll pay, and therefore be less likely to make a purchase.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never ever. Sales tax on coins? Collecting would be over for me.

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

South Carolina is another state that exempts coins and currency so I don't have to worry about it.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a collector the vast majority of my purchases are over the internet, so there's no avoiding it.

Especially here in NJ where we are about to get taxed on rain.... No, I'm not joking. Look it up.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in PA near the NY border.
    At the small shows in NY most of the dealers have their sales tax paper displayed in one of the cases.
    I've never had sales tax tacked on the price at a show.
    In B&M's I've paid sales tax a few times and it catches me off guard.
    I now ask for the final all in price.
    I will nix a purchase if sales tax is added in at the end. Especially for bullion.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sales tax chez moi wouldn't be a show stopper, but it wouldn't help either.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in New Hampshire. What's sales tax?

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2019 6:40AM

I see it as part of the overall cost of the coin like shipping. Or a cost of doing business.

But decades have passed since anyone charged me sales tax separately and coins are exempt from it here in Texas.

A seller might be wise to simply have it in the markup equation like “free shipping” vs driving away business assuming it’s not collected by some third party.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

@Cougar1978 said:
    I see it as part of the overall cost of the coin like shipping. Or a cost of doing business.

But decades have passed since anyone charged me sales tax separately and coins are exempt from it here in Texas.

A seller might be wise to simply have it in the markup equation like “free shipping” vs driving away business assuming it’s not collected by some third party.

State law could require the sales tax to be called out separately.

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Under Pennsylvania tax laws and regulations, www.revenue.state.pa.us, there is a state wide sales tax of 6%, with additional taxes of up to 2% possible in some locales. There is an exemption for purchase of coins and bullion, as long as the value is based on the metal content and not the form of the product.

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes I pay my use tax on out of state purchases when filling my state tax return. On the other hand, in nearly 60 years of collecting I do not remember being charged an additional sales tax at the time of a local purchase more than once or twice. My assumption is that the local dealer is including it in his total price.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in NY

I have to pay sales tax whenever I buy from Heritage or Stacks.

It’s an expensive state to live, but it has its perks.

• Options
    AblinkyAblinky Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

It's only happened to me once in Michigan. Coins are exempt from sales tax but I guess medals and paper money isn't when buying in a retail setting. It caught me off guard but was only like $5 so I wasn't too concerned.

Andrew Blinkiewicz-Heritage

• Options
    JekelJekel Posts: 11

State of Indiana. It's illegal to charge taxes on legal tender currency regardless of the amount or age.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2019 2:28PM

I refuse to pay taxes on money. So, I skirt the taxman, like it or not.
    I'm in NV and if the seller is a dealer (business) in NV he has to collect tax. Fortunately I have a son in ND. He buys my local coins for me without the tax and just sends them on.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Some_of_itSome_of_it Posts: 111 ✭✭✭

I don’t mind paying sales tax on coins. Seems odd that I do pay taxes on on-line purchases and in retail shops but not at coin shows.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2019 4:21PM

I get charged 8.9% WA sales tax if I buy slabbed coins from Apmex, but not if I buy encapsulated coins with an external value above and beyond the base value of the underlying Precious Metal from the US Mint ;)

The state of Washington requires the collection of sales taxes on certain products sold by APMEX and delivered to a Washington address. These taxes must be collected on Copper products, numismatic products, accessory items and processed items. All other products sold by APMEX are exempt from these taxes.

Numismatic Products. Products with an external value above and beyond the base value of the underlying Precious Metal, due to the item’s rarity, condition, age or other external factor.
    Accessory Items. Items such as holders, tubes or coin flips.
    Processed Items. Precious Metals that have been processed by third parties into items valued on more than their Precious Metal content, such as jewelry, statues or colorized coins.
    Sales taxes in Washington are calculated at checkout on the APMEX website based on (1) the taxability of products sold by APMEX in Washington set forth above and (2) the specific tax rates established by the taxing jurisdiction of the delivery address in Washington.

APMEX began collecting sales taxes in Washington in October 2018.

This is where you can see what the sales tax rules are for your state.
    https://www.apmex.com/state-sales-tax-information

And yes, to answer your question I only buy from them and others if the overall deal with tax is still OK. I do try to find the same items where tax is not charged, if I can end up with a lower total cost.

• Options
    Wil1858Wil1858 Posts: 52 ✭✭✭

When appropriate yes.

Then otherwise just a victim/get in line fee (mandated) waiting to be handed over 😎

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file