Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

An Excellent Coin Roll Hunt

Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yesterday I finally got around to picking up a $500 box of half dollars that my bank ordered for me. I brought it home at lunch and took a look at the enders to see if there was any low hanging fruit. I saw a silver reverse end so had to take a look. Opened it up and found two 40%ers. Decided to open the next roll adjacent to it and was very excited to see the following:

There was a 1964 and two more 40%'s. I had to get back to work, so I left it at two rolls eagerly anticipating going through the remainder of the box. 5 silvers in the first two rolls boded well for an epic hunt. Finished out the box last night, and it was a blast. Wasn't quite as epic as the first two rolls suggested it might be, but managed to find 4 more 40%'s and another 1964. This was my third box and I was skunked on the first two. Told myself I'd move on from halves if this box was a dud as well. I guess this box certainly won't be my last.... The thrill of discovery is a blast.

Comments

• Options

Awesome

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2019 9:36AM

I've searched quite a few half dollar boxes as well. After a looooong dry spell, I finally stopped. I sure enjoyed it though!

photo 67d9a1e2-39f7-4b42-8431-bbeccb396ffa.jpg
    photo IMG_2907.jpg

• Options

@Meltdown said:
    I've searched quite a few half dollar boxes as well. After a looooong dry spell, I finally stopped. I sure enjoyed it though!

photo 67d9a1e2-39f7-4b42-8431-bbeccb396ffa.jpg
    photo IMG_2907.jpg

I'd kill to find a Walker. Must have got your heart racing when you saw one on the end!

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was the one & only time I found a Walker! Yes, that was cool. Over about 5 years, I think I filled up 3 tubes of 40% and a full roll of 90%.
    Cheap & easy... I stopped after silver hit the roof on it's way up to $40+ per oz. I think a lot of folks were catching on the roll hunting. It may be time to start back up again... I do miss the thrill of the hunt.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have searched many half dollar rolls... never tried a big box.... You did very well.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great finds, congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great adventure in roll hunting. Find anything of particular note?

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Nothing special really. Some of the pieces had nice toning or were in nice mint shape, but nothing to write home about. Always exciting when you see that line of silver appear though. I’d love to see pictures from one of those 100+ silver boxes.

• Options

What do you do with the coins that you don't want to keep? Does the bank take them back?

Successful transactions here and ATS with: jwitten, Rob41281, bajjerfan, cucamongacoin, Jim F., physics-fan3.14, x2rider, Wahoo554, Weather11am, Relaxn, jimineez1, Ronyahski, Bliggity, SurfinxHI, McGrump (thru BAJJERFAN), ms71, Downtown1974, ad4400

• Options
    TheRegulatorTheRegulator Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

Well done!

The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

Nice find.....CRH is so much fun. I took a break for a while due to ,” I wasn’t getting anything done at home.” Thanks for sharing!

• Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

Great find. I gave up after a couple of boxes. Totally skunked.

Too much work and a real pain to get rid of the halves.

The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options

@dan_marinelli said:
    What do you do with the coins that you don't want to keep? Does the bank take them back?

No problem bringing them back to the bank (after I hand roll them). I generally make multiple deposits at different branches so as not to over-burden the tellers with too many half dollars. They’d be fine with taking them all at once, but I want to avoid being a nuisance. I generally hang onto about $10-$20 worth of halves to confound random cashiers with strange currency from time to time.

• Options

Sounds familiar. Many branches in our area (MN) are starting to pass on the cost of ordering rolls (10 bucks a box!), so I'd say our days are numbered.

I too like to spend/distribute them. Also randomly give out the Bi-centennials to kids (with their parents permission). It's fun.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found a Barber once in my searches! Wasn't much left of it of course, but still. Pretty cool!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file