Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1893-s XF45 PCGS Fake?

When I first saw the picture I thought "fake" but I don't want to give the bad news to the guy without being 100%.

I didn't see a prior auction record where I could compare the coin attached to this cert # in its prior sales to this piece.

By the way: is there way to tell from a PCGS cert # what the proper generation slab of a coin is?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

...the 3 looks weird but I have way too many king-size Drumstick waffle-cone shrapnel pieces all over my man breasts...and now I have to figure out how to get up and off the Lazyboy withought losing any of them before getting onto the hardwood floor...then it’s dump and the dog takes over from there...yeah gotta go ;)

• Options

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:
    ...the 3 looks weird but I have way too many king-size Drumstick waffle-cone shrapnel pieces all over my man breasts...and now I have to figure out how to get up and off the Lazyboy withought losing any of them before getting onto the hardwood floor...then it’s dump and the dog takes over from there...yeah gotta go ;)

The overall surface looked wrong to me date included. I figured I would lookup the cert # and see it had sold at Heritage X number of years ago and see the real one so I could 100% tell him it is fake.

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kenriles012 said:

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:

The overall surface looked wrong to me date included. I figured I would lookup the cert # and see it had sold at Heritage X number of years ago and see the real one so I could 100% tell him it is fake.

...ok I made it off without ruining my cashmere sweater as none of the waffle cone pieces had any chocolate melt while I finished eating what was left in my hands. Thank God......don’t take my word for it that it’s fake though (the coin, not my sweater) cause I’m sugar-drunk and it’s back to Fraiser I go ;)

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2019 1:57AM

The image is good enough to determine that the date is NOT in the right position. The 93S is the easiest to authenticate, as only one obverse die was used. If the one isn't over the 4th dentil to the right of the point of the neck it's no good. I enlarged the image, this Morgan is a no doubt counterfeit, without question. Attached is an image of the date of a genuine 93S, the 1 isn't quite squarley over the 4th dentil but close.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

kenriles012, Give the seller the bad news, this baby is counterfeit without a doubt. Not sure about the slab though but the coin is a no doubter.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    ArizonaRareCoinsArizonaRareCoins Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2019 3:32AM

Coin and PCGS holder is 100% COUNTERFEIT. The PCGS barcode translates to: 7226.64/13663977
    Which is an 1893-s Morgan $1 graded PCGS MS-64. Here is the link to the barcode:
    https://pcgs.com/cert/13663977

Everyone should get a barcode reader app or learn to decipher barcodes at:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interleaved_2_of_5

NOTE** The FAKE PCGS Morgan Dollar holder has the same exact barcode as this COUNTERFEIT coin that sold on eBay, located at the bottom of the PCGS certification page:

• Options
    ArizonaRareCoinsArizonaRareCoins Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭

Here's the barcode print-out of the OP's holder:

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the typical not very convincing fakes coming out of China these days.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

The crappy scans tell you everything about the seller and the coin.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great catch and some helpful information in this thread.... Now I need to learn more about deciphering barcodes...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy the book before you make the coin.

Scary part is they may get it right one day.

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, you guys are good. And for all the counterfeiters efforts, you'd of thunk they would have figured out how to match the bar-code with the #.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file