Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are there any magic coin dates or numbers for sales?

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember a dealer who 20 or so years ago advertised in Coin World "need a date": ie. a date you or a relative was born in. Then you have old dates with American historical significance. We also have centennial years like the 1799/1800 changeover and the 1899/1900 change. Can coin sales people successfully use certain dates as evocative of something special?

Comments

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know there was some funny business going on all around the country once back in 1976, but I forget now what the fuss was.

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

The Civil War era is always popular with collectors and has been used as a marketing technique over the years for any 1860s coinage.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

The telemarketers were really pushing the 1900 + 1901 dates in 2000!

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the leading rare gold dealers told me how much more attractive coins from the 1700s would appear after we got into 2000.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Columbian halves were getting heavily promoted back in 1991,leading into 1992....I remember shipping circ lots for pretty good money.

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

World coins that circulated in early America dated 1776. Gold rush era coins dated 1849, are a couple that come to mind.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Centennial and bi-centennial dates, along with civil war dates....personal dates such as birth, anniversary, wedding etc. are always sought,...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:
    World coins that circulated in early America dated 1776. Gold rush era coins dated 1849, are a couple that come to mind.

That's silly. ;)

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read somewhere that the number 8 is considered a lucky number in many Asian cultures and that some Asian coin collectors look for coins dated 1888. Not sure how true this is but I thought it was interesting.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

1921 is my favorite 20th century date- a real beast to put together a year set.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file