Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Surprise Valentines Day presents from the wife

JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 14, 2019 9:54PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Well she doesn’t know she bought them for me yet so she will be surprised. These arrived today. I will break the good news to her when she gets home from work. The best case scenario for me is that she forgot to get me something and this will ease her guilt.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

I encourage my wife to act this way also when it comes to gifts...its the Happiest way it seems and with far less returns ;)

Happy V-day!

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stunning coin 😂😂😂😂

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well played

• Options
    USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

She's very lucky to have you as a husband.

• Options
    ponderitponderit Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2019 5:56PM

I need to find a new wife.... B)

Successful BST transactions with Rob41281, crazyhounddog, Commoncents, CarlWohlford, blu62vette, Manofcoins, Monstarcoins, coinlietenant, iconbuster, RWW,Nolawyer, NewParadigm, Flatwoods, papabear, Yellowkid, Ankur, Pccoins, tlake22, drddm, Connecticoin, Cladiator, lkeigwin, pursuitofliberty
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Simply beautiful gifts from a wonderful husband <3<3 Happy Valentine to both of you B)

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's the problem? The quarter is a type II

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both nice but the SLQ is to die for! Your wife will be quite pleased you have it.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife (knowingly) treated me to a Valentine's supper at an Italian place the night before. Lots of Pasta and sour (but very good) salad.

I got her a nice store-bought card and a fancy 2 Troy oz silver heart-shaped bar/ ingot. Kitco charged me a ton for that little POS.

My hand-made valentines cards go mostly unappreciated.

• Options
    edited February 14, 2019 6:31PM

I almost didn’t make it home in time for VD. Our plane in Amsterdam hit another plane pulling Into the alley. Both our 747 and the 787 will be out of commission for a good while. In 6
    million miles of traveling it’s a first

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love them both, but especially the SLQ. Nice color.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck. Hope you will not be sleeping on the couch.

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Must be nice. I got a some chocolates

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Her taste for coins is surpassed only by your taste for shoes.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    I almost didn’t make it home in time for VD. Our plane in Amsterdam hit another plane pulling Into the alley. Both our 747 and the 787 will be out of commission for a good while. In 6

You were on that flight? I was excited about the pretty SLQ, but I'm WAAAAAY more interested in the 747. That said, I can probably just ask at work... the guys who will be working with KLM sit a row away from me. #oopsies.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

She needs a direct pipeline to CRO so you can be surprised occasionally! :D

Nice coins!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

That was pretty scary. Reminded me of a flight I was on out of Amsterdam. Just as you board the plane there is one last security check there at the gate, I noticed one of the boarders was being turned away and not allowed to board,

Several months later when the Shoe Bomber’s picture was posted I could swear it was the same individual. The Shoe Bomber’s eventual flight out of Amsterdam was on the same airline and to the same destination,

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice gifts !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    basalstatebasalstate Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

@Soldi said:
    What's the problem? The quarter is a type II

"Why are you spending money on other beauties?"

"Don't worry baby, she's not my type!"

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super nice coins!!

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

I'm not sure why that doesn't happen more often - I know airports are safe but the size of jets now adays - things are crowded!

I got a bottle of Laphroig and promised not to breath on her after sipping it ....... :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2019 8:38PM

@airplanenut said:

@Justacommeman said:

You were on that flight? I was excited about the pretty SLQ, but I'm WAAAAAY more interested in the 747. That said, I can probably just ask at work... the guys who will be working with KLM sit a row away from me. #oopsies.

Indeed. I was on the 747. They blamed it on the guy towing us. We were on the ground about 90 minutes waiting on the fire brigade and insurance guys. Cops boarded the plane, entered the cockpit and probably breathalyzered the pilot before they towed into the gate. Believe it or not we were on another 747 five hours later.

Jeremey please let me know if you find out more. My flight was to LA. Another flight to LA had to make an Amsterdam landing because of engine problems at the very same time.

m

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins! Great story! (LOL)

Looks like you had a sweet seat on that plane Mark!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome coins!

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

What sweet pickups! When I was scrolling down I thought that is one killer slq.
    Then I saw the gold........very nice Valentines gifts. Much better than chocolate or flowers.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2019 8:39PM

@1northcoin said:

That was pretty scary. Reminded me of a flight I was on out of Amsterdam. Just as you board the plane there is one last security check there at the gate, I noticed one of the boarders was being turned away and not allowed to board,

Several months later when the Shoe Bomber’s picture was posted I could swear it was the same individual. The Shoe Bomber’s eventual flight out of Amsterdam was on the same airline and to the same destination,

I was flying from Kyiv, Ukraine to Amsterdam on 24 December 2009 then had a connecting flight from Amsterdam to Detroit to make another connection. Our flight out of Kyiv was delayed because of the snowstorm, we arrived in Amsterdam two hours late and had to run to make our next flight to Detroit. We arrived at the gate as they were closing boarding. If we hadn't been able to make that flight 253 that day we would have been on the same flight the next day - the one that had the so-called underwear bomber on it.

As for non-terrorist related near misses the closest would have been a near crash in Siberia back in 1991.

Edited to add for news story on the collision at Schiphol:

https://simpleflying.com/two-klm-flights-collide/

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lucky man. About the coins, not the airplane. A Valentine's Day move like that at my house would get me couched.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

This whole game plan of buying the most eye appealing coins off the EB without regard to make and model is very clever. I can't imagine how that half eagle was graded 55.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely looking coins!!! Be sure to give your wife a Big kiss. BTW, do you know what you've "bought" for her this Valentine's or will she let you know later? ;)

I'm glad your plane didn't go up in flames. The deadliest plane(s) crash in history involved two planes. Both of them were 747s. One was a KLM 747.

• Options
    sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Very nice pickups! I am glad you are safe after the incident at the airport; I hope you remain safe when the wife finds out what she bought you! My gf only got me beer because the coin shop was closed 😕

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh ! Veeeery nice.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two nice coins!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats MJ that SLQ is top notch and awesome gold on gold... Nice pair of OGH`s and glad to hear that you were unscathed on your flight... AB

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry all you got for Valentines Day was a chain mail covered breast 17 Type 2 :'(

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins! You didn't hint to her about the men's edible gummy undies? :|

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your wife has very good taste in coins. ;)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins... particularly the gold .....Nasty incident though... I hate problems when flying...When I was working, I flew a lot, and delays were annoying... I hope your Valentine's gift to your wife was equally as welcome... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Indeed. I was on the 747. They blamed it on the guy towing us. We were on the ground about 90 minutes waiting on the fire brigade and insurance guys. Cops boarded the plane, entered the cockpit and probably breathalyzered the pilot before they towed into the gate. Believe it or not we were on another 747 five hours later.

Jeremey please let me know if you find out more. My flight was to LA. Another flight to LA had to make an Amsterdam landing because of engine problems at the very same time.

I'm not sure how much I'll be allowed to say if I find out anything, but if I can pass anything along, I'll try. We generally just look at how to fix it in a case where it wasn't an airplane system that didn't work as expected. The good news for the planes is that there isn't much to break on the wing tip other than the tip, and that isn't too hard to replace. There's nothing structural out there.

And of course you were on the 747. If I couldn't tell that from your photos, I would not deserve the title airplanenut :)

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

SLQs with attractive toning are rare birds. This one is especially nice. The gold is just as good.

Airport fender-bender. The pilot is lucky he didn't have to sit in the back of a cop car while they sorted it out.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

thats nice of her to do tat. the good wife :)

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is so nice of you to think of relieving her Guilt...what a guy!!!

I was chatting with one of the guys from the Aloha Air flight where the roof came off. I couldn't believe he still flew. He said "what's the chance of that happening to me twice?".

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are too cool, Mark. A guy like me has got to love the looks of those gorgeous pieces.
    Very well done and please do let us know how your wife likes giving them to you😊

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't comment often but in this case I feel that I have to.
    Mark, those are both outstanding.
    The quarter is stunning.
    Congratulations.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@airplanenut said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

Ah, it's just a flesh wound. ;-)

I saw this on Instagram, crazy that you were on it.

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

Attractive and subtle toning.....I like the coin a lot. Thanks for sharing it.
    Years ago when taxiing a 757 an Evergreen 747 taxied in and tore off the end of the right wing, tip and more. Impressive to watch. The 30ft. light pole he hit rocked back and forth. I think that plane sat on the ramp for over a month until Boeing people completed the repair. He was on the narrow body centerline into the ramp. Oops....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file