Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Proof Coins From 1936-42

ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm finding these more and more interesting as time goes on. Am I to understand these were sold as single coins from the mint?
Not in sets? And how were they packaged?

@RogerB I understand you are knowledgeable about these...

I think this will be a new direction for my collecting, I have only two examples so far.

Lets see what you all have! :)

Comments

• Options

@RogerB said:
    These proofs could be bought separately. Evidently most ordered one of each denomination, but others bought a "set" plus one or two extras.

The book on 1936-42 proofs is available from hobby book sellers. It includes a CD which serves as a complete index.

I just found out about this book today and will very likely order a copy soon. I look forward to reading it!

• Options

That sounds good!

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

You'll also find that nearly all standard published mintage figures are wrong....Although, the differences don't amount to much as a percentage, collectors like accuracy.

• Options

@RogerB said:
    You'll also find that nearly all standard published mintage figures are wrong....Although, the differences don't amount to much as a percentage, collectors like accuracy.

Just ordered a copy from Wizard!

• Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭

An area I have always wanted to jump into.

Pricey halves have always slowed me.

Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

one thing that has been debated and discussed here many times is the method of packaging. since they came as single coins it's hard to imagine what they used. it is a fascinating era, fresh out of the Depression and headed for the Great War.

• Options

I figure most of the nicest ones of these coins are slabbed in plastic at this point in time.

Dollars and patience seemingly would allow one to put a nice collection of these together.

• Options
    edited February 14, 2019 3:42PM

RE: "...the method of packaging. since they came as single coins it's hard to imagine what they used."

The book includes clear photos and descriptions of coin packaging and shipping materials. One must remember that this was all done within the established Medal Department. Much of the handling and packaging used the same materials and followed similar procedures.

• Options

@sparky64 very cool!
    Can we see a close up of the quarter?

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool!

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good idea Ashie boy :)

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the proof coinage of this era and even like them completely untoned!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

Great quarters!

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

@asheland I have always liked the 1936 to 42 proofs. Many of these proofs are more affordable now than a few years ago, so it is a nice opportunity if you are looking to add any pieces to your set.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options

I am looking forward to receiving the book!

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've probably read Roger's book at least a dozen times in total. I put together the set some years ago, now enjoy going back and forth between the coins and the book a few coins at a time. Very enjoyable way to pass an evening or afternoon.

• Options

The Nickels should be fun as there's three types to find...

• Options
    EdtheloraxEdthelorax Posts: 229 ✭✭✭

I found his one raw a few months ago. FSH

http://www.silverstocker.com
    Anyone can PM me Any Time about Any thing.

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@TheRaven said:
    An area I have always wanted to jump into.

Pricey halves have always slowed me.

Nice '36 cents-both the satin finish and bright finish are pricy, as are the Buffalos. The halves have come way down as well as the Mercs and Washingtons. A really great time to put a set or two away!

• Options

@asheland said:
    The Nickels should be fun as there's three types to find...

Even more if one likes varities such as the '39 and 40's that come with both types of steps.

• Options

@SkyMan said:
    @Justacommeman ought to be posting to this thread. He has some killers.

My only proof from this era...

Yours is a kuller in itself, Skyman. Nice contrast! Possible cameo?

• Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started with the pf merc and quarter from 42 then eventually did the whole 42 set within a year or so. Believe it or not it was actually a little bit of a challenge finding a nice penny and war nickel nice in my area!!

• Options

Great coins everyone!

• Options

@JRocco said:
    Had a 42 set in the same type holder but sent that to our host to individually holder.
    Just have pics of the Walker with me from that set. One day I'll take pics of the others.

Love it!

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just ordered a signed copy of Roger's book...

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

I hope mine is signed, I didn't see an option. I got it from Wizard Coin Supply...

• Options

There's a discussion of auction sale trends in the front part of the book. Graphs clearly show that most items have declined, and continue to do so, with a few obvious exceptions. However, it is difficult to assign specific causes to this - there is not enough objective information.

• Options

I would think the cause is simple. Original collectors of these coins are no longer living. So it is all secondary collectors, people have gotten hurt for decades on proof coins purchased from the mint. So they stay away from proof coins.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@batumi said:

@SkyMan said:
    @Justacommeman ought to be posting to this thread. He has some killers.

My only proof from this era...

Yours is a kuller in itself, Skyman. Nice contrast! Possible cameo?

Skyman's coin is in a NGC PF66 CAMEO holder, and it was one of the first cameo walking proof half dollars certified by either service. It is also one of the stronger ones I have seen. If he ever bothered to resubmit it, I would not be surprised if it came back with a star in addition to the cameo designation.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like early proof sets. I have been told they came down in value as the original matched sets were broken up and the nice coins switched out. So all sets now are put together sets which is fine if they're all 66's but not if they're batches of dogs.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file