Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Admitting that you've lost money on a coin(s).

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the current state of the Hobby it seems easy enough to say something like "My collection has lost value" and everyone understands. There is a little difference in saying "I Iost money on a coin" which a lot of people are loathe to admit. If that's you, how do you cross the bridge to get there??

For my own part, I am in the black if i look at what I have bought, what I have sold and what i still have. All the same I have made some noteworthy blunders and taken some baths, not easy to admit. I usually keep such mistakes around for a bit to remind me before relegating them to the "hold" box. That's the important part for me because stuff gets in there I have fully detached and I can easily sell them.

Is it hard for you to admit mistakes, take a loss and learn the lesson??

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    zodiac65zodiac65 Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2019 9:48AM

It used to really bug me.
    Now, I live by that old motto, you win some, you lose some.
    Funny how it all averages out to the positive in the end.

What bugs me a whole lot more right now, is with the depressed market,
    how many dealers & collectors get miffed, when I hit them with a fair market offer.

Like, I'm the bad guy, because the market is down/way down, and they are buried, asking multiples of fair current market!

"They lost because their phenoms failed to phenominate." - Yogi Berra
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. It ain't FUN, but it's happened too often for me to pretend I'm perfect and never lose so I take the "loss" and move along.

The "loss" usually gets put into something else that I like better.
    My only TRUE loss would be keeping a coin I don't like.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2019 9:47AM

@TommyType said:
    I think it's easier if you just admit to yourself, "This is a hobby. There are no cheap hobbies."

There are actually a lot of cheap hobbies. Things like tennis, ping pong, hiking and even coin collecting low condition or from circulation come to mind. Of course, cheap hobbies can be made expensive if one has the funds and the will.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2019 10:24AM

It happens and is typical for this market. I had a really bad show recently where they weren’t buying squat - same broke crowd, worthless waste of time flippers, no fresh money coming in, dealers trawling for rips, etc total waste of time, loss after expenses. Online store has beaten shows hands down.

Take your time and sit on it awhile before taking loss. If bay blow out start a couple bucks below bluesheet, realist if not sell reduce a buck or two. Blow out bullion first you might get lucky and retail a numismatic item or two.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. I freely admit I got my Ass whopped when I sell it and move on. I have dealer friends that have coins priced 100%-400% over current value because they were not able to do the same thing.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cut your losses on your losers and move on. No sense in keeping them around, waiting for some miraculous rally.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate losing when I sell. But sometimes I see the writing on the wall, and realize I need to sell for a loss to move on.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. I have made mistakes, key is to learn from them and move on. No point to loathe on it and drag it behind you. Focus on future endeavors.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't recall ever selling a coin for less than I paid for it. However, I have actually lost tons of profits because I neglected to find out where the market was at the time of sale or being too strict with my grading: AU's becoming MS's as soon as I sold them. :( That's not going to happen anymore if I sell something .

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@TommyType said:
    I think it's easier if you just admit to yourself, "This is a hobby. There are no cheap hobbies."

There are actually a lot of cheap hobbies. Things like tennis, ping pong, hiking and even coin collecting low condition or from circulation come to mind. Of course, cheap hobbies can be made expensive if one has the funds and the will.

Still pretty expensive hobbies. Tennis racquets, court rental fees. Ping pong table and equipment costs (table can be expensive). Hiking - good boots, back pack, survival gear (unless your urban hiking).

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why is it easy to tell someone you bought a coin and later resold it for a profit?

Why is it hard to tell someone you bought a coin and later resold it at the same price you paid for it, or at a loss.

When one buys a new or used car from a dealership you know that if you sold it the next day or month or year you would sell it at a loss. No one I know has any problem telling someone they resold a car at a loss.

Same with jewelry, books, furniture, etc.

What is it about coins which makes it hard for someone to acknowledge they resold at a loss?

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

Although the "learn the lesson" part is harder to evaluate. I enjoyed the coins I've sold while I had them and don't regret turning them over to get other coins I liked better. I didn't buy them to make money and yes, a churn put me in the negative. I see the turnover as healthy on two fronts - new coins I like better and freshening up the collection.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being that I mainly collect early commems, I have lost my ass. That being said, I have enjoyed these coins so much that there is a cost built in there, I think. I have hit some real home runs over the years, but overall im down significantly. I write it off as the enjoyment factor.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's natural phenomena ........ called EGO ...... hard to admit you are a looser even to your spouse.
    I always told I bought low and sell high to my friends :D

@SanctionII said:
    Why is it easy to tell someone you bought a coin and later resold it for a profit?

Why is it hard to tell someone you bought a coin and later resold it at the same price you paid for it, or at a loss.

When one buys a new or used car from a dealership you know that if you sold it the next day or month or year you would sell it at a loss. No one I know has any problem telling someone they resold a car at a loss.

Same with jewelry, books, furniture, etc.

What is it about coins which makes it hard for someone to acknowledge they resold at a loss?

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy low. Sell high. Definitely time to buy And buy the best you can afford.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2019 6:41PM

@3stars said:

@Zoins said:

@TommyType said:

Still pretty expensive hobbies. Tennis racquets, court rental fees. Ping pong table and equipment costs (table can be expensive). Hiking - good boots, back pack, survival gear (unless your urban hiking).

Many, but not all, places have free tennis courts.

A ping pong table can be expensive but it can also be cheap.

For hiking, many people use their normal clothes and sneakers. I’ve even skied in my jeans.

Money comes down to perspective.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Cherry Picking more than makes up for my mistakes.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    BGBG Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I go through all my collecting years, which are not many compared to most, I'm probably at a loss. When my family has a need, i.e., car problems, paying rent, etc., i'll sell a coin to try and help them. So I sell coins too soon. Hurt's for a while, then I get over it. Short term memory. It's a hobby and I never did expect to get rich.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Loss is realized at the sale, if you don't sell then you never lose. ;) I've done ok on the things I've sold, but I know I have a lot of stuff that I would lose on.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2019 11:34AM

@Coinstartled said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I lose money on coins all the time on items that I want to blow out in order to free up cash to buy new better coins.

Business 101

Business chapter 7.

If you look at it that way then I do not want to see your inventory. :o>:)

ALL of My losers are now GONE, all I have left are winners B)

Business 201

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me. red is the new black.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Coinstartled said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I lose money on coins all the time on items that I want to blow out in order to free up cash to buy new better coins.

Business 101

Business chapter 7.

Business 201

Deutsche Bank Loan Purchases? ;)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2019 11:53AM

@Broadstruck said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Coinstartled said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Business 101

Business chapter 7.

Business 201

Deutsche Bank Loan Purchases? ;)

Zero Debt.

I have found that having a cash reserve allows one to act extremely quickly with force ( Strong Bid or Offer) to get the best eye appeal out there :)

• Options
    MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

Speaking of losers, I bought some bitcoin in Sep/Oct of 2017 and decided to cash out and buy gold around Feb/Mar 2018. Instead of looking at a ton of red on a webpage, I get to look at some fantastic gold on my Dansco 7070 gold page!

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2019 12:03PM

No, I have no problems admitting mistakes. Everyone makes them. If someone pretends he hasn't lost money on a coin he is either a) lying, b) oblivious, or c) never sells so no loss materializes during his life time.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

It gets easier after the first thousand

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Luckily about a half dozen home runs wiped out most of the hundreds of strikeouts.

Probably still in the red, but at least have not completely bled out.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although I collect as a hobby only, part of the fun is the research to determine realistic prices (always a snapshot of course) to try to minimize a loss at time of sale. I'm really careful about what I buy now and my most recent sales were to fund other coins I wanted. I can say I have mostly sold at my original cost or a slight loss and that is just fine with me. For my most recent sales, I lost a little bit but had purchasing power parity (so to speak) for other things I wanted.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

You realize your blunders when you go to sell. When I sold off the bulk of my collection around 2011, it was indeed a learning experience and my "tuition" for numismatics. Coins that I had gotten for what I thought was a fair price, brought 50% or more in profit from a sale. Other coins, mainly key dates, that I thought I had gotten for cheap, ended up being where I lost the most money. ...ie, think 1909-S VDB... (for you newbies... it really isn't that rare of a coin!)

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bundle the losers into a trade, if I like the new one it eases the pain. Lol.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

You only loose when you sell and I do not sell. B)

• Options

Luckily about a half dozen home runs wiped out most of the hundreds of strikeouts

I had a strange experience where I hit a "HomeRun" that really did that. back in 2009 after that bail-out fiasco I lost my job and was unemployed for just about a year. needing money to survive, I turned to some of the best items I had, swallowed hard and started to sell. the only regret was the reason I had to do it, not in the selling. interestingly, I get to see some of the medals when other members post their pictures.

temporary custodians, that really what we are.

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2019 12:59PM

@lkenefic said:
    think 1909-S VDB... (for you newbies... it really isn't that rare of a coin!)

I know some have this opinion and I find it interesting. 484,000 mintage compared to in some cases hundreds of millions more makes it pretty rare to me. The closest in terms of mintage is the 31s at 866,000. Saying it is not rare based on a few other key coins in the series of course does not negate the market dictated price, but is your point that 484,000 is a lot of coins compared to key coins in other series?

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the times I have lost money on coins, I offset the disappointment by thinking of the enjoyment I had owning them. It cost money to have fun - no matter what it is. At least with coins you have something tangible to show for it.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m heavily into classic commems...nuff said there.

Cheers

Bob

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul said:
    I’m heavily into classic commems...nuff said there.

Cheers

Bob

These have always appealed to me but I never collected them.

Now sure seems like it might be a good time to start collecting these. I think that there's good value in the 64-65 grade range, handpicking nice examples for those grades.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2019 1:51PM

Learned dealing baseball cards...

Sell the trash and keep the treasure and keep the cash flow going... baby.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

it hurt the first time. build a bridge and get over it. buy better next time

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

REMEMBER THAT OLD COIN IS ONLY WORTH FEW DOLLARS IN PHYSICAL MATERIAL VALUE - THIS IS WHY VALUE IS AN ESOTERIC CONCEPT IN MANY WAYS AND IT MAY BE VULGAR TO ASSIGN ANY MONETARY VALUE TO OLD COIN UNLESS YOU ARE A RUSSIAN OLIGARCH OR CHINESE SHODDY GOODS FACTORY OWNER.
    -BONGOBONGO

Bongobongo also famously said,
    "If you buy what you like, at a price you can afford at the time, then things will be easier. If you buy what other people like, borrow to fund it and expect multiple of return, then you are likely to be unhappy. Bongo say nearly everything depreciates over time. Bongo would not pay $500 for a silver bell this Christmas and expect it to be worth $550 next year, but Bongo knows a Silver Bell is not old coin. Or is it? Bongo maybe not surprised that old coin is like any other limited non essential commodity and subject to the whims of taste and market. Put the coin in book and enjoy it. If it is worth more when you come to sell it, well done. If not, then you have had enjoyment out of it. "

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

so Bob, you're so far under water that fish don't even swim by!!! B)

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

ok everyone who says they are ok admitting a loss please post an itemized list. :D

Admitting to an abstract loss is much easier than providing details ,

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

I've recently purchased 4 - 2018 Gold Proof Buffaloes . I might add another ( if they don't sell out first) to match the 5 - 2017's I got last year. There's just something about these Big New Gold hunks of medal with an old Classic design. Sort of reminds me of the good feeling I got way back when, after seeing my first Morgan Silver Dollar , as a young Child.

I get the same feeling out of a nice $20 Liberty but these modern Buffaloes are perfect marvels. No other modern junk does anything for me at all.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sometimes buy very pretty widgets at retail+ and down the road sell them for retail. To me the time I hold and enjoy the widgets is worth the difference in price between retail+ and retail.

Other times I break even.

And far less often I score big on a sale.

But alas, I am just a humble collector.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file