Home Sports Talk
Options

What has happened in Pittsburgh and what will happen now/next??

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would seem to me that the Pittsburgh Steelers have had, on paper, some of the best players in the NFL and overall one of the most talented Teams for a number of years. All the same they fail to achieve the ultimate prize. There always seems to be some sort of "Drama" going on. Now it's Antonio Brown stating that he's gonna be traded.

With all the apparent egomaniacs there, what/who do you think is the real problem??

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leveon Bell’s situation is not the Steelers fault, the guy wants more money than the Steelers want to give and I’m on their side with that, they never low balled him with an offer and stuck to their guns rather than overpaying this guy especially when they inserted James Connor in and got outstanding production at a fraction of the cost. Antonio Brown? They got fed up with him and benched him for the last game of the season but who knows how long they tolerated his crap? Either way they got fed up and benched him and publicly have pretty much stated it is what it is with Brown. They had a tremendously talented team but that doesn’t always equate to a strong playoff run. Tomlin is a horrible manager of games, that is the biggest problem with the Steelers.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2019 6:01AM

Tomlin is like the coach of a pee wee team. He paces up and down the side line and hollers "Let's GOOOOO" clapping while the players do whatever they want.

Antonio is talented Bell is talented but its a team game they can be replaced with 3rd round draft picks and the payroll will be 40 million lower , maybe the team has one less win but still gets in the playoffs. The lack of an entitled social media presence adds that one win back on.

• Options
    edited February 13, 2019 6:09AM

I am left with the overriding thought that Tomlin mis-manages more than just the games, and that is probably the root cause of everything. to have the off-the-field distractions that have happened and the egos that seem to be battling each other is someone's responsibility. trust me on this, I'm from Cleveland and a lifelong Browns fan who is regrettably too, too well acquainted with such things.

Bronco, everyone thinks it was the right thing to go with Connor and "teach" Bell a lesson --- the Team didn't make the playoffs. now they think they can do without Brown. how will they make the playoffs?? BR is close to the end, how will they make the playoffs?? there are deep problems in the organization, even my closest friends who are all Steelers fans are not talking about it. that tells me they are worried.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least the Steelers have won several Super Bowls. My Vikings, despite having the best(?) team on a few occasions always fall short.

Didn't even make the playoffs last year with a great defense and some very good "skill" players on offense.

"Wait 'till next year"

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

I thought Connor was okay in the games I saw . Maybe he doesn't catch the ball the same as Bell but he could run.

The coach had to cost them at least 1 win and the Browns stole another.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, Pittsburgh must be really sweating now. Who makes it to 7 first, them or new England???

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

the Steelers are not exactly notorious for canning their field generals -- do you guys realize they have had 3 head coaches in half a century? which, in this case, has proven detrimental because Tomlin should be the one leaving town, not their best players. he is considerably overrated and has mismanaged the hell out of that team, imo. with B&B gone, the slow deterioration in Steel Town is in full effect.

• Options

Tomlin definitely has naked pictures of somebody

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭✭

IMO, I think they have overvalued some of their talent. The defense recently has been good, even very good at times, but just not good enough when going up against the really good teams in the playoffs. Shazier's loss was huge and you just can't replace a player like that. On offense, they have the talent and during the regular season, they just kill it. The loss to the Jags at home in the 2017 playoffs was inexcusable. Big Ben isn't what he used to be; the years seem to have taken their toll. With him at the end of his career, I would have done everything in my power to make that push last season. I wouldn't have sat by and let Bell sit out the season in one of the last years of Ben's career.

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    IMO, I think they have overvalued some of their talent. The defense recently has been good, even very good at times, but just not good enough when going up against the really good teams in the playoffs. Shazier's loss was huge and you just can't replace a player like that. On offense, they have the talent and during the regular season, they just kill it. The loss to the Jags at home in the 2017 playoffs was inexcusable. Big Ben isn't what he used to be; the years seem to have taken their toll. With him at the end of his career, I would have done everything in my power to make that push last season. I wouldn't have sat by and let Bell sit out the season in one of the last years of Ben's career.

he still threw for 5000 yards I think. He is exciting to watch , he can make the throws stage comebacks whatever but this year they had a lot of shootouts because defense wouldn't hold the opposing team after the offense scored. They were like a lot of other teams in that respect

• Options

the Steelers "peaked" way too early this year, around game 10-11 they were playing as well as anyone. then they lost and it seemed like panic set in and they lost 3-4 straight. that isn't so much on the players. the HC and the other staff need to get that stuff right.

I don't think the players are to blame. they ultimately are, but they need to be "coached" even though they are grown professionals.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Being a NE fan, you get to see what happens when everything comes together just right. In Pittsburgh, even with all the talent, that isn't happening. Who is to blame?

Tomlin, if I remember correctly, is the recipient of the second highest fine against a coach ever (Belichick, spygate). That was for tripping/interfering with a player. He said it was unintentional. I just re-watched it. It looks intentional. I remember when this happened that it made me see the Steelers in a different way. Tomlin clearly does not make good decisions.

Ben is to blame also. He does not handle his business publically in a professional manner. You can tell that his attention to the little things is not always there, IMO. Not a good leader.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's convenient to blame Tomlin. He won a Super Bowl, and has a good record in Pittsburgh. He deserves a portion of the blame but Roethlisberger has been temperamental and moody -- first he said he was considering retirement, then the Steelers draft the kid from Ok-State with a high pick and Ben pouts about it and says he won't be mentoring anyone.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options

ask most any diehard Steeler fan and they'll echo this --- Tomlin won with the Team that Cowher built. his record since 2012-13 in the season is good but then it's pretty much one-and-done, and that is with some pretty good Teams and players. he is unimpressive and seems to have "lost" them this past season.

JMHO.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭✭

I still go back to saying that Ben has dropped a peg or two, and has not played well enough. They didn't get to the playoffs this year, and in a few of the games they lost down the stretch, he had chances to pull it out and didn't. As I stated earlier, he was absolutely terrible in the playoff game at home against Jax in 2017. He ran up some stats at the end, but they were playing from behind the whole game because he put them in a hole early. I'm sorry but losing AT HOME to Jax with BLAKE BORTLES at QB just proves my point! JMO

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

Putting up a lot of yards and stats as a QB doesn't mean what it used to.

Robb

• Options
    MjwagsMjwags Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

Tomlin would have a job tomorrow if he were to be replaced. It's not all his fault but the dynamics in that locker room are horrible. Brown and Ben have been going at it for years but always seemed to put aside their arguments because they were winning. They are in a division that see's a Browns team on the rise and a promising Ravens team and Brown see's the need to get out now. The Steelers are going to be looking at 3rd in the division, as soon as next year. Ben is on his way out in a year or two and they have no plans to replace him. They will move on from one of the top receivers in the game and that will hurt them. Their defense is inconsistent at best. They have more issues than most know and it is catching up to them.

• Options

Putting up a lot of yards and stats as a QB doesn't mean what it used to. wait, I'll fix that for you!!
    Putting up a lot of wins and stats as a HC doesn't mean what it used to.

insuccession the Steelers lost Bell, are losing Brown and will lose Roethlisberger. the only questionable HOF'er on that list is Bell, and if he continues what he's done he'll make it.

Mike Tomlin has watched his defensive standouts leave with only modest replacements. with the Offense now heading south what will he do?? I think he'll follow them out the door.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Three sentences can explain the lack of Steeler success.

LeVeon Bell never fumbles and James Connor does.

The defense is not very good.

The team is undisciplined (too many mental mistakes and penalties).

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Three sentences can explain the lack of Steeler success.

LeVeon Bell never fumbles and James Connor does.

The defense is not very good.

The team is undisciplined (too many mental mistakes and penalties).

There is a LOT of #3 going around!

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Lack of discipline, players texting in locker room, players blaming others publicly, players wanting top dollar/sitting out, lots of talent doesn’t equate to victories

• Options
    edited February 17, 2019 6:36AM

discipline starts at the top and if Tomlin doesn't reign things in it will get ugly in steel town. I see a "cleansing" on the horizon.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

An undisciplined head coach that allows selfish players like Brown and Roethlisberger to run wild leads to chaos. Their problems start with Tomlin.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Tomlin should've been let go years ago.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2019 4:27AM

As an impartial observer, it is hard to blame Tomlin for the problems in Pittsburgh. Inherited team or not (Barry Switzer, George Siefert, Jon Gruden), when you win it, you win it. I know his personnel management and decision making has been called into question this season but he’s never had a losing season and Ben and Antonio are two of the biggest divas in the league. That’s not on Tomlin.

The biggest problem in Pittsburgh is that the Rooney’s are cheapskates. I can’t remember the last time the Steelers went out and signed a marquee free agent (James Farrior? 20 years ago? If that counts), many talented players have walked out the door in order to get paid reasonable money even before this LeVeon Bell disastrous season - for both he and the Steelers.

I’m not going to say that the Steelers win it all with Bell this year (that’s just not fair or realistic) but I think it’s fair to say the he makes them a better team and they missed on a playoff spot by one game...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    As an impartial observer, it is hard to blame Tomlin for the problems in Pittsburgh. Inherited team or not (Barry Switzer, George Siefert, Jon Gruden), when you win it, you win it. I know his personnel management and decision making has been called into question this season but he’s never had a losing season and Ben and Antonio are two of the biggest divas in the league. That’s not on Tomlin.

The biggest problem in Pittsburgh is that the Rooney’s are cheapskates. I can’t remember the last time the Steelers went out and signed a marquee free agent (James Farrior? 20 years ago? If that counts), many talented players have walked out the door in order to get paid reasonable money even before this LeVeon Bell disastrous season - for both he and the Steelers.

I’m not going to say that the Steelers win it all with Bell this year (that’s just not fair or realistic) but I think it’s fair to say the he makes them a better team and they missed on a playoff spot by one game...

marquee free agents blow , giant waste of money. Should they rent OBJ to replace Brown? Those days are over , owners around all the leagues are sick of doing that.