Home Precious Metals

Modern gold commemorative

I’ve recently noticed that some of the modern gold $5 commeratives can be found for slightly above melt, but some at premiums lower than normal generic old gold ( lcs has old generic gold at usually melt +5% for cash). I have Seen some modern at <5% over melt...any views if old half eagles are better/worse/same as the modern $5 coins...not a true bullion play as I get entertainment from researching and learning about the coins history, but realize the value is only really due to the gold...

Comments

• ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2019 12:52AM

There's a lot of designs, 15 years ago ( 2004ish 😩)you could pick it up for $90 to $100 in OGP. You could get the 2 and 3 piece sets for no extra $$$ which paid for shipping. The downside you ended up with a 30 gallon trash bag of boxes/certs to store the gold in an SDB. Lot's of interesting coins.

Now the dealers just sell them in the capsules as a gold play. Depending how much your buying I'd pay the $30ish a coin and buy graded classic. The moderns have always been a gold play on most of them. Even the Jackie has steeply fallen, I'd hate to brought that one at $3k.

With all the fakes I'd stick with graded, nothing wrong with either but no one seems to want orphaned modern gold in capsules only, it's like the stearling silver of gold.

My .02

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2019 8:01AM

I'd put modern gold commems (including the gold spouses) and classic gold into the same category - only mess with them if you plan to form a collection. They are simply not bullion, even though the premiums may shrink in that direction.

In other words, there are more examples floating around than there is demand for them and (probably) the only saving grace will be the melt value - for some time to come. In that case, you might as well buy bullion and dispense with the concerns over fluctuating premiums.

However, maybe about 30 years from now, after another bullion melt or two - collections of modern gold will be few and far between - and the grandkids who inherit these collections will marvel at how cool their grandpa was to have assembled them.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

with a few mintage exceptions all modern gold comms should be valued at 4-5% over melt.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least the spouses are exactly 1/2 oz of gold...

@asheland said:
    At least the spouses are exactly 1/2 oz of gold...

common date spouses are a good way to stack gold. Often they can be bought for less than gold eagles.

• SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the feedback

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would only take the gold spouse coins for sub-melt prices....they are not easily sold and decreasing in collector value... so sub-melt to account for carrying costs...Cheers, RickO

• NPD1078NPD1078 Posts: 110 ✭✭

ricko Do you feel that way about all the gold spouse coins?
    Today I had a dealer offer me 2- 1 once gold eagles for 4 spouses (early years and graded ms69).

NPD1078

I have completed positive sales and purchses from the following members:
    jclovescoins, dpoole, dmarks, guysmiling, Ducky1100 , piecesofme, ericj96 ,Classof67, ModernCoin, MrOrganic, 53BKid, nychad10, GUINZO1975, derryb (3 times), PinkFloyd
  • tincuptincup Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing wrong with gold modern commems for around melt. An inexpensive way to own gold minted by the U.S.A. and a known quantity.

----- kj
  • ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2019 1:18AM

@NPD1078 said:
    Today I had a dealer offer me 2- 1 once gold eagles for 4 spouses (early years and graded ms69).

I could see that, both being bullion coins. Many bullion investors want 24k gold and these half ounces would be cost effective instead of the 1 ounce buffaloes. I like the non-spouse spouse coins in the series.😜

Smaller units allows the investor to cost average as well, both buying and selling. When playing poker do you want to be always all in with one big coin?🤷🏽‍♂️

gold spouses are "sleeper bullion."

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes the spouses have been resting face down and intoxicated on the carpet for quite a few years but I agree they are a sleeper. And pure, if not soiled a bit.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate the spouses , if I bought them near melt I'd gouge my initials in them before I pass them on to make sure they sleep with the fishies :D

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2019 5:25PM

I've been thinking about collecting the gold spouses and the modern gold commems. I really have. :)

Then, I go ahead and buy more bullion. But still...………….for collecting purposes, I just can't get interested in "classic gold"...…………..just can't justify it.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    I've been thinking about collecting the gold spouses and the modern gold commems. I really have. :)

no no bad jmski52 no .

not collecting that trash , piling it as raw gold fine but no set building. That book has led too many people to disaster

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2019 5:58PM

Ungraded early first spouse are very high mintage and are effectively bullion if they are not a label rarity.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NPD1078 said:

A very fair trade

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the modern $5 commemoratives are a nice way to stack and learn a little history in the process. When available at my local show I've been able to buy them at melt to melt plus $5 and sell at 98% of melt.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't speak for the spouses, but I like the lower mintage commems at close to spot. I think the $10 bi metal is a steal.

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2019 8:51PM

The difficulty for me with the spouses would be walking into a coin shop with any dignity and hope that I’m not laughed at (due to the demeaning knowledge that I bought them in the first place), for bullion purposes or not.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.