Help a newbie....looking to continue a legacy

Hi all,

Coin collecting newbie here. I am a long time member on the sports card side of CU with several sets on the registry. However, coins are completely new to me.

I am doing this mainly to give my Dad and myself something to enjoy in his twilight of life. He has been a coin collector since the early 60s. I never took up the hobby. He is now retired, 75 years old and his body is starting to turn on him. I thought I would start collecting something he and myself could have conversations about. I bought 2 Morgan's off of Ebay, took them over to him to look at and his eyes lit up like a kid at Christmas. He went down to his basement where he keeps his coin stuff, grabbed a blue book and a red book (I have no idea what they are) and started looking up the dates, what he thought they would grade, how many were made, etc., etc......I know how much of a rabbit hole you can run down with collecting stuff, so I have decided that I will just focus on these silver dollar coins. They seem to be plentiful, are nice looking and have enough variation to enjoy collecting. With that being said.....I am looking for some direction on what would be the best route to go, what to look for, what is a decent price to pay and best place to find stuff. I know there are literally hundreds of on-line publications, but I like the community here at CU and feel collectors, that have no vested interest in click traffic, are a better resource for honest information. And from my experience on the PSA side of the pond, there knowledge base here is vast and, usually, friendly and helpful.

So with that.....any Morgan collectors out there that can help a brother out?

Comments

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are one of the most widely available US coins, and certainly from the 19th century.

Based on your questions, it would be best to buy coins certified by a major third party grader. (PCGS or NGC). MS63 and 64 common dates are going to run somewhere in the $40-$60 range and are available in any quantity you want. Most raw coins in this grade range are not worth the additional fees to have graded unless you can pay somewhere around melt.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since your background on sports cards has no doubt made you familiar with all of the doctoring and "improvement" that can be performed on cards to fleece the unaware, keep in mind that the same goes with coins.

If your dad is willing to sit at a computer, have him join this forum as well. Work with him to learn and understand how to better identify quality, and maybe purchase certified coins and study them in hand. Purchasing accurately represented raw coins on eBay is a bit of a crap shoot.

Welcome, guys!

• jedmjedm Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2019 9:57AM

I've accumulated a few of them - like around 40 or so over the years. I have some in plastic some raw, some are pretty toners and some that are "circ-cam"- mostly I buy what I like the look of and a clean cheek is a big plus. I am trying to not buy duplicate years as of late; however I do have a few years where pretty examples abound ,1886 and '96 seem to be where I have the dupes. Have fun with them, I sure do! Edited to add: WELCOME.

• Well, getting Daddy to sit at a computer is like asking him to get a root canal without novocaine. So....if I wanted to grab "raw" coins to put in one of these blue Whitman books for him, what price do I look to pay? I may grab a few slabbed coins to see if he likes those. Great idea to get some of those to study and familiarize myself with the characteristics of the grade. I do know the 2 I purchased earlier and put in one of his old folders he about had a duck when I touched the thing with my bare hands. It was pretty comical. Of course, I am the exact same way with an embossed or "chrome" sportscards because of fingerprints. Thanks for the input....every little bit helps.

• JBKJBK Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not sure I have any worthwhile advice, but that sounds like a great project.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2019 10:17AM

Excellent. Borrow the Red Book and study the photos and comments. Try to "talk coins" with your Dad by asking him questions either about specific coins he has or what it was like in the 1960s when silver coins were still available in circulation. Keep the sessions fairly short - as much for you to avoid being overwhelmed, as for your Dad to have something to look forward to and keep him engaged.

The greater your positive interactions, the better will be his emotional and physical well being.

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 11,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Also, I don't presume to know your budget but there are several dealers here on the forum who would likely be able to throw a roll of circulated Morgans together and ship them to you.
    Your Dad would lose it

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 468 ✭✭✭

Welcome! There are a few Morgan dollar experts here so ask questions.

• EdtheloraxEdthelorax Posts: 101 ✭✭✭

@Greedoguy said:
    Well, getting Daddy to sit at a computer is like asking him to get a root canal without novocaine. So....if I wanted to grab "raw" coins to put in one of these blue Whitman books for him, what price do I look to pay? I may grab a few slabbed coins to see if he likes those. Great idea to get some of those to study and familiarize myself with the characteristics of the grade. I do know the 2 I purchased earlier and put in one of his old folders he about had a duck when I touched the thing with my bare hands. It was pretty comical. Of course, I am the exact same way with an embossed or "chrome" sportscards because of fingerprints. Thanks for the input....every little bit helps.

I would recommend finding a Local Coin Shop and get to know the owner. My LCS are both very knowledgeable, honest and willing to take the time to answer questions. Buying coins here would be similar. Unfortunately you can't look at a wide variety of coins, in your hand, online.

Buying raw coins on ebay is very risky for a newer collector to say the least.
    Other sites retail are worse. The amount of counterfeits is sickening.

TPG's are the easiest way to protect against counterfeits, especially until one can gain some experience.

Ask your dad what HE thinks would be the best coins (Morgans) to collect or how to collect them. I think being able to give his opinion to you will mean as much as the coins. I am glad I had the chance to enjoy coins with my dad as a child, then again when I was an adult and he didn't have much to offer besides his knowledge and opinion.

It's nice to hear you are making the most of the opportunity of sharing time together. I sure am glad I did. It's about the time spent, not the money. You always can make the money back.....................

http://www.silverstocker.com
    Anyone can PM me Any Time about Any thing.

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a wonderful family story and you are definitely a good son to think about your DAD that way <3
    There are a few Morgan collectors as well as experts here who would be more then happy to advise you.
    Have fun in US coin forum and send my warmest regards to your Dad B) <3

• Update so far.....I have purchased roughly 20 so far. 12 ungraded and 8 graded. Only common dates, from what I can tell. 2 things I have learned so far.....there is definitely no shortage for most of them and not that pricey, ungraded. The other thing, my dad is a VERY discerning collector. The ungraded ones we have gotten in, which are advertised mostly in some degree of MS, my dad sees and gives the VG/XF grades. Regardless of details present, if it has a scratch, of any kind, he is hyper critical. It is kinda funny. Even the couple of graded he has seen, he doesn't agree with the assessment. I was surprised, almost. Secondly, his knowledge base in this hobby is unbelievable. I had no idea. I guess I never really took the time. And he studies these things with an ENORMOUS magnifying glass. I didn't know they existed in such a size. I look at my cards with a jeweler's loupe. It pales in comparison. So, to all that have helped, thank you. It has been quite a week and has brought a bit of joy and excitement to Daddy I haven't seen in quite some time.

• rickoricko Posts: 63,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Greedoguy.... Welcome aboard.... This is a great thing you are doing... both for your Dad and for you...Making memories is important... and, you will learn some things along the way. Good idea to get both raw and slabbed coins... the raw are less expensive and fun to study... the slabbed coins can be used to compare the grades to raw coins too...Good luck and keep us posted on how the hobby progresses. Cheers, RickO

• Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭

Want to really go down a rabbit hole? Go to VAMWorld.com. learn all about Morgans and die varieties. 😉 Nice that you are doing this to connect with your Dad.

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another idea is to put together a 1944 type set (assuming this is his birth year).

I think it is great what you are doing and I wish my Dad was still alive to do the same. Bravo to you!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • GreedoguyGreedoguy Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited February 18, 2019 7:55AM

@Catbert said:
    Another idea is to put together a 1944 type set (assuming this is his birth year).

I think it is great what you are doing and I wish my Dad was still alive to do the same. Bravo to you!

I actually bought him a set of his birth year some 10 years or so ago. He still has it. He has now pulled out his coins from their storage and has them sitting on his downstairs bar. There are literally 1000s of coins there. He has an entire gallon jug full of indian head cents. Same for buffalo nickels. I was, and am still, dumbfounded. I thought my card collection was over the top. I now see where the genetic propensity to collect stuff comes from.