Home U.S. Coin Forum

Charlotte Coin Show Report

yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 9, 2019 5:55PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Drove about 7hrs round trip just to get away from a hectic work week and have the day to myself.

Arrived at 8:55 on a cool morning. Greeter poked his head out and said... "Anyone want raffle tickets...come on in."

$5 for 6 tickets sounded like a good deal to get out of the cold. Why not? I am way ahead in the raffle game, having won a door prize of a bunch of Morgan's at a Cape Fear Show a few years ago

Made my way to one end of the room and quickly found Mickey. He let me peruse his proof sets. I ended up buying five from the early 1960's. Enjoyed his story about Sally Field (?). Swear I had heard the same story at another show. Pleasant fellow and a good start to the day.

Worked my way to aisle 2 and found another gentleman (sorry names are not my strong suit). Helped me with some SMS sets and I picked them up for $25.

Not much I could find in proof sets (or they weren't in the open.) Traffic seemed light, but it was early. Still, there seemed to be alot of business going on.

Alot of diversity and alot of Morgans! Large cents... Gold... Foreign... US/World Proof Silver....
Modern.... Toned Morgans? Checked all the boxes.

One Charlotte dealer (corner table) had a very nice spread and diversified stock.

Was ErrorsonCoins in Charlotte? Guy was super nice but always had customers so I didn't want to bother him.

Dealers dealing... The conversations were about as interesting as the coins. Overheard two guys talking.

Dealer #1 "Did so and so spend $1500 with you?"

Dealer #2 after a short pause " Nah... $5500... he bought all of...(couldn't make out)"

Don't know if it was gamesmanship or truth but the money seemed to be flowing.

Another guy was ready to deal. Vest pocket dealer maybe? Cargo shorts, tattoos, milk crate on wheels! I was admiring the setup when I glanced at the table seeing with multiple boxes of slabbed coins on the table working hard on a deal. Milk crate full of boxes. Sign taped to it said something about Consignments. I left them to deal.

Worked my way to the other side and found another proof set with a really nice looking Lincoln.

Hit the books in the back and bought some supplies. Only three hours in, and I was already tired. Spoke to my wife and decided to hit the 2x2 boxes. Lighting was not too good but took a gamble on an 1887 Morgan that looked clashed "E" for $30.

Headed home not long afterwards.

All told... $173 in coin purchases and $14 in books/supplies
$118 for 6 proof sets from 1960-64...nice blue toned Jeff nickels, a dime, and a purple Franklin.
$25 for 3 SMS set 1965-67... mostly because I have never owned them and wanted an example.
$30 for raw AU/BU 1877 Morgan.... likely a phantom "E" lol
$11 in supplies flips and a couple boxes
$3 for an old print World Commemorative Coin book at the YN table.

Felt pretty good about my first purchases easing back in Numismatics. Proofs to start this time around.

My lack of knowledge limits me from taking alot of risks.

My past experience with Morgans is something I will pursue in the future after taking the ANA grading class.

Like...
Big UNC Silver
Toners are neat, but I find myself preferring blast white.
DCAM Moderns are mesmerizing
Proofs are a fun treasure hunt

A few of the proof coins will be graded just for shot at high grade. More than a few toners are for grading and possible flips. Those blue Jeffs will be hard to part with, however.

In the future, I will spend a bit extra to fly to Charlotte (Dalton, Orlando, etc...) and a room. Get in two full days and not worry about a 7 hr drive.

Got some camera and copystand upgrades on the way... will post pics next week.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

Comments

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @yspsales for the report. Proof coins and supplies are a good way to start back up in the hobby.

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report!

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mickey is from the same town I am, his shop is across town from mine. His story is true, also, when he does the Wilmington show, sissy spacek (who is a collector) personally comes and deals with him at his table. Mickey likes the ladies, and the ladies like him too. he is very nice and cordial with them. You should she all the women that come in our local show , and first question they ask "where's mickey"

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Drove north or south to hit it? Nice report

• Sorry I missed the show. Will be there next year. Didn't know Mickey is a ladies man!

No good deed goes unpunished

carolinacollectorcoins.com
  • yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2019 8:27AM

I don't know if it helped or hurt... lack of signage.

There was a gun and knife show competing next door. Probably close to a 100 people milling around the entrance. Large signs and lots of other signage directing people.

Without "over there" directions of the lot attendant, I would have eventually deduced the general idea as to location.

Wandered and headed towards the other buildings a bit to find the the coin show. Saw one small sign at the door. When I got to the entrance there were about ten people waiting for the doors to open.

A 10x20 sign outfront may have brought some of the gun crowd/PM types.

The YN's seemed were present and eager to serve.

Full and part time Dealers get my upmost respect.... and cured me of ever entertaining the thought.

Something always competing for their dollar... Ebay, Guns Show, and life in general. A police officer was buying a commen or medal for his sick father. The dealer shared his dedication to veterans (being a vet). Small $30 purchase but a great human interest interaction.

The amount of work it takes to set up must be enormous and some do it every few weeks.
    The $$$$ invested in inventory to be everything to everybody and cover alot of bases is crazy!
    The few common widgit Morgans I follow were priced accordingly.
    I didn't bother with any rainbow-esque Morgans as they were not marked in price and not on my radar.
    Conventional wisdom be damned... taking the time to share history or fascinating personal stories while dealing with small timers like me for $30 or $100 tells me they ARE friendly and people oriented.

Having been in and out of coins a couple times in the past decade, I don't know if PM's need to tank or take off to attract more participants.

In the book section there was old one titled... "Investing in Classic Commemorative's." The prices were silly high, and aside for some rare keys, couldn't help but wonder if coins collecting in general is headed down the same black hole.

With my limited perspective, I think milk crate guy and the errors guy had found their niche.

A few others had some interesting modern mint (world?) product selections. Not sure how they fared but there is some gorgeous modern stuff. Should have bought something as a gift for my SIL's upcoming birthday or a moon landing coin for my brother's birthday.

Some personal reflections and realizations...

Inquired about their show schedule and might rotate shows... vary my attendance. For example throw in a Long Beach show every other year and drop one on the East Coast. No sense traveling to see the same stuff every couple months.

Always thinking contrarian and seeking value, so I have never found something that I couldn't part with for a price.

Cherry picking for variety is too energy consuming.

Not that it's been a successful pursuit, but finding raw coins to make a grade seems to be my overriding joy.

As a guy with a million baseball cards..... never outgrow the milk crate... hahaha

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report! Sounds like you learned a lot, had some fun and picked up so good stuff. Well done! :)

• zodiac65zodiac65 Posts: 275 ✭✭✭

Thank you for the report.

I only made it there on Friday, almost all day, and the floor traffic was light, for most of the day.

I looked at ancients (almost none were slabbed though), world gold (few were PCGS graded), and Morgan toners (great examples, but the pricing was too optimistic, IMHO). Territorial gold, early gold, Charlotte, Dahlonega, and CC gold - very few in PCGS to consider, and all of the NGC were "automatically buried" @ asking price. Finally, almost no patterns, so I struck-out completely in coins.

I did wind up doing about $2.5k in trades, all was Large Size Federal currency, and Nationals, so if I were to elaborate, I should post to the Currency forum.

Thanks again, and good luck, on your future shows/trips. Cheers.

"They lost because their phenoms failed to phenominate." - Yogi Berra
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report!

• CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report.

Looks like this show is headed downhill as attendance is flagging.

Why? The Charlotte Coin Club needs to take a step back and ask why.

I had my checkbook loaded up for some serious buys. But I despise the venue. Time to move on.

I will spend the funds that could have gone to this show at Dalton or on the web.

When the highlight of the show is Mickey (I know him well and not a member of the forum AFAIK), you gotta shake your head in wonderment. Mickey attends ALL of the local shows in NC so you don't have to put up with the Expo in Charlotte to see him. Maybe I should dress up like a woman to see if I get a better deal from him!

Don't get me wrong. This show used to be GREAT. But now is mediocre at best despite the best efforts of the few that execute the whims of the club board.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report.... lots of detail. Good luck with your searches.... I like white Morgans too...Cheers, RickO

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Appreciate the report, I always enjoy reading these.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2019 7:25PM

LOL! When the show was great it was exactly where it was this time! You must be new to the CCC shows as it was here for many,many years before the Metrolina venue! I've been doing the show for over 20 years! I must say I'm really surprised at your negativity. Put up or shut up and find a venue in the Charlotte area that would work! I'm sure the club would welcome you with open arms! They have not committed for next year as they are looking. If they don't find a place or make a decision soon they may not have a place to have the show!

PS! I bet I could see Mickey's face towards you if he read this! Attendance was much better this year than last year and I'm sure it will continue to grow once people get used to the area again.

@Cameonut said:
    Thanks for the report.

Looks like this show is headed downhill as attendance is flagging.

Why? The Charlotte Coin Club needs to take a step back and ask why.

I had my checkbook loaded up for some serious buys. But I despise the venue. Time to move on.

I will spend the funds that could have gone to this show at Dalton or on the web.

When the highlight of the show is Mickey (I know him well and not a member of the forum AFAIK), you gotta shake your head in wonderment. Mickey attends ALL of the local shows in NC so you don't have to put up with the Expo in Charlotte to see him. Maybe I should dress up like a woman to see if I get a better deal from him!

Don't get me wrong. This show used to be GREAT. But now is mediocre at best despite the best efforts of the few that execute the whims of the club board.

• coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

A nice view of the show and people. Thank you.

• sniocsusniocsu Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

Very nice report. Thank you

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report!! Good Job!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file