Any premium on this 100 oz bar?

USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭

Came across this 100 oz bar at one of my local shops and wasent sure if it had any kind of premium.

Comments

• cmanbbcmanbb Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭

Most 100oz bars regardless of rarity don't fetch much over spot. The seller can ask, but rarely get it.

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭✭

Large JM bars are a good way to own physical silver. Premiums on 100oz bars (even JM bars) are low. APMEX currently offers this type of bar at $1.29 over. That is full retail so don't expect to get more than melt if selling.
    apmex.com/100-oz-silver-bar-johnson-matthey

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think those went out of production 2-3 years ago, so not a vintage item. Asahi now owns what was JM, so new product that comes from that mint has Asahi logo to it. Same quality product different name.

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 10,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, I like it !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the big dogs run specials so if your patient you will see specials .29-.49 cents per oz over spot.

Expect to be offered 95-98% of melt when you go to sell, once you find a dealer not trying to rob you blind anyway.

Semper Fi!

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

My bid right now is spot -10 cents. Just need to find an honest retailer near you so you don't have to ship.

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even though there is no premium on that specific bar, those poured JMs are my favorite 100 oz. bar.

• USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the info gents

• rickoricko Posts: 67,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never purchased a 100 oz. bar.... just consider that it would be difficult to sell at best, and if liquidity was urgent, likely a loss would occur. Cheers, RickO

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 40,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

A pour is a pour. And poor is poor. Why pay a premium ?

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 12,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I have never purchased a 100 oz. bar.... just consider that it would be difficult to sell at best, and if liquidity was urgent, likely a loss would occur. Cheers, RickO

The ONLY bars I kept were the 10 ounce bars.
    They just FLY off the shelves at coin shops. Of course I'm no fan of silver in any form.

10 oz and 90% are the only silver products that seemed to hold wholesale demand no matter what silver did or does.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 40,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2019 2:28PM

I purchased an Engelhard 100 ounce bar, and the seller pleaded with me to "hold it" for him. I made no promises.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

I purchased an Engelhard 100 ounce bar, and the seller pleaded with me to "hold it" for him. I made no promises.

That's a nice one! I got a couple very similar ones:

• ashelandasheland Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got two from this lot. They aren’t available often. I think they are about as cool as they come!

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic bricks guys!