1944-P NICKEL THAT LOOKS LIKE A PROOF AND STICKS TO A MAGNET - PLATED? WITH WHAT?

I was hoping someone could tell me what happened to my five cent piece. It weighs 5.0 grams and looks like a proof, so I assume it is plated with something, but what?
It sticks to a magnet.

Successful deals with:Ciccio-Nibanny, Wondercoin, Republicaninmass, Utahcoin, Abitofthisabitofthat, Doubleeagles59, Peaceman

Comments

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nickel plating would be magnetic, wouldn't it?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Rooster1Rooster1 Posts: 327 ✭✭✭

I think you are correct. it is probably plated in nickel. Does plating add weight? It weighs 5.0 grams

Successful deals with:Ciccio-Nibanny, Wondercoin, Republicaninmass, Utahcoin, Abitofthisabitofthat, Doubleeagles59, Peaceman
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 36,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless the plating is excessively thick I doubt it would be enough to attract a magnet. The US Mint has struck coins for other countries at various times, Is it possible that this coin was struck on a steel planchet intended for some foreign coin?

Perryhall, The magnet will pick up the coin, but the attraction is not as strong as if it was pure steel.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin is not very attractive but it does have a certain animal magnetism to it.

Will it stick to an animal?

Bronco, it will stick to an animal, but only if you pull its tongue out and put the coin on it.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rooster1 said:
    Bronco, it will stick to an animal, but only if you pull its tongue out and put the coin on it.

you were thinking heads but I guess I was thinking tails :D

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

A chrome plating will make it magnetic enough that if you lay it on a smooth surface and put a magnet next too it you can drag the coin sideways.

An error coin expert I used to work with told me that he once talked with a guy that replated chrome bumpers (back when cars had real metal bumpers you could push another car with) and the guy told him that when he was mixing up a batch of plating solution he would just take a coin out of his pocket and use that to test the solution, and then just put the coin back in his pocket and spend it.

Live your life in such a way that the Preacher does not have to lie when you are dead.
  • rickoricko Posts: 67,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does appear to be plated.... Or it could be a wrong material planchet....Interesting piece... If you do further analysis, let us know what you find. Cheers, RickO

CaptHenway, I can pick the coin up completely with a magnet. The coin is a bright chrome color. The picture I took was with my android phone and did not turn out well. As it turns out I found a 1943-p that looks the same as this one, but the 43 can be moved with a magnet, but can not be picked up completely.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 21,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

My neodymium magnets do not move my war nickels. NON magnetic.

bob :)

BST deals: Dozens of buys/sells. Will provide a list upon request.
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), [email protected]
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Struck on a Canadian planchet?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

These coins must be plated with nickel since this is about the only metal besides steel that will stick to a magnet. After reading about what mercury feels like (slippery) on coins I thought that might be it, but mercury is not magnetic. Here are some more bad pics I took with my phone. I put both the 43 and 44 together and a regular nickel beside them.