Home U.S. Coin Forum

Charleston SC Low country coin club show report

COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a show..... we set up early Friday morning and after setting up we immediately were busy doing deals with other dealers. At noon the show opened to the public. a good amount of people came in and we were instantly busy again. Through out the day we had multiple collectors at our tables conducting business. During the afternoon I got to meet forum member @WaterSport. I always enjoy meeting forum members at shows. unfortunately I was very busy and couldn't chat long. Business continued through out the day until about an hour before the end of the show.

Saturday morning started with more dealer to dealer sales. At 9 the doors opened and it took about 30 mins before collectors really started to pour in. We remained super busy most of the day. We were exhausted by the end of the day.

Sunday was slow but we still managed to conduct some business with dealers and collectors. At 3 pm we left the show and began our 10 hour drive home. At least we had the super bowl on the radio to keep us company.

Some observations I made during the show....
90% was being bought from dealers for around 10.5 and sold for 12 to 12.5. Many people were asking for 2019 eagles but only one or 2 at a time I'm guessing to fill books. Lots of customers were looking for new 2019 coins.

It seemed higher grade type coins as well as Lincoln cents, Indian head cents, and walking liberty halves were a hot topic at least at my tables. This show seems more apt to have collectors that prefer raw coins over slabbed at least at my tables. Gold was a big discussion with many dealers wondering and predicting what would happen to the price this year.

I was able to buy some low and mid grade key dates for all the barber series, some key date Lincolns and Indians and some mid grade tougher morgens. I also bought a complete set of BU Washington quarters and a complete set of BU Roosevelt dimes. Many of the Roosevelt dimes have great old album toning. Those will be saved for a customer turned friend I have in Richmond va that is putting together a nice set of roosey toners.

Last but not least I want to throw out a thank you to Richard and the low country coin club for putting on a well organized, fun, and busy show. We have been ding this show for a few years and always look forward to it every winter and summer.

Next stop is the Charlotte NC the 8th-10th. If your coming to the show stop by and say hello!

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
HAPPY COLLECTING

Comments

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for a good report.

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2019 10:19PM

Good write up! I wish I could do more shows....being in Hawaii limits things.....

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • TiborTibor Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report. The bullion prices are always interesting.

• rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report

• kazkaz Posts: 9,141 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report, I really enjoy reading show reports, that show perspective from both sides of the table.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting report.... These show reports (last several months) seem to belie the doom and gloom market posts.... all seem to show a healthy buy/sell activity... and I know more (much, much more) business is being conducted on the web. Perhaps it is just a certain segment of the market that is depressed... Cheers, RickO

• COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Interesting report.... These show reports (last several months) seem to belie the doom and gloom market posts.... all seem to show a healthy buy/sell activity... and I know more (much, much more) business is being conducted on the web. Perhaps it is just a certain segment of the market that is depressed... Cheers, RickO

I think the dealers who have been adjusting to the falling prices are doing well. The ones standing firm on prices are just gathering stale inventory and are being overlooked

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file