Home U.S. Coin Forum

1966 LINCOLN -what are these splits/cracks?? Opinions plz

Flyguy1982Flyguy1982 Posts: 46
edited February 3, 2019 10:36PM in U.S. Coin Forum

These pictures I took to best show how the cracks/split looks as you can see its raised up like let's say for instance, it could
Snag something ,to show it's not just a flat split..any helpful opinions are greatly appreciated, thanks coin family...

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

A crack in the metal, commonly called a lamination error, though the technical metallurgical term is de-lamination. Could have been caused by an air bubble in the cast ingot before it was rolled out, or some impurity in the metal. Not rare and no premium value.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Thank you sir for weighing in, I appreciate it,dont know if it because I'm new or something but it kind of seems a little tough to get help with questions but I'm still new so I'll just wait a bit& see how this goes,thanks

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Copper pennies are not pure copper. This year, 1966, the cents were 95% copper and 5% zinc. Sometimes in the mixing of the molten metals they don't cooperate and it ends up showing as a defect on the struck penny. Pretty common on cents. Zinc and copper don't always like to dance...
    Sharp eye, keep a look'n.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • 👍thanks Bob surely will

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

You won't get many comments if you post after midnight... Don't be discouraged by that. Welcome!

• Thanks but it was not just about late at nite ,lol I can figure that much I was really referring abt earlier times of day ..but I understand now thank you

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    Copper pennies are not pure copper. This year, 1966, the cents were 95% copper and 5% zinc. Sometimes in the mixing of the molten metals they don't cooperate and it ends up showing as a defect on the struck penny. Pretty common on cents. Zinc and copper don't always like to dance...
    Sharp eye, keep a look'n.

bob :)

I hope you don't mind me adding to this. Overworked metal (not enough heating to loosen the grain structure as its being worked) and contamination can also cause what you are seeing.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Flyguy1982

Good reference for many errors on coins and more information about lamination as many posted previously:

http://www.error-ref.com/?s=Lamination

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent pictures and the explanation by @CaptHenway covers the issue....Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file