Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Question about MS grading

How can a coin with a dig can be graded MS 62 and gold shield ? Is this mark a flan fault pre strike ?
"
Lot Description
SOUTH AFRICA. 5 Shillings, 1892. PCGS MS-62 Gold Shield.

KM-8.1; Hern-Z37. Single shaft on wagon tongue variety. Sharply struck and lustrous in the fields with soft mauve and russet tone along the peripheries. SCARCE in this quality and if not for a mark behind Kruger's head, almost certain to have received an even loftier grade.

Estimate: $1,800 - $2,400.

"

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-GNZOP

Comments

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a deep scratch to me. Graders felt generous.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

62 seems generous. Remember that grading is just an opinion.

All glory is fleeting.
  • AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

99% of times this would grade details I think due to the scratch (I have seen marks less evident getting details). I think is concerning that was graded 62 AND that the catalogue does not really do a better job with the description. This is not a mark, looks as if they tried to murder Mr Kruger... Perhaps on hand does not look as evident?

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Subjective !!! ;)

Timbuk3
  • I thought there are more than one scratches and like everyone reiterated buy the coin not the slab. I only buy graded coins these days due to the number of fakes and i don't feel very comfortable sorting out the modern fakes that are getting better and better every day. I feel disappointed and concerned since what if the grader get the authenticity wrong ?

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there something else going on above and to the left of his ear? I am not familiar with this coin.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?