Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Funky lookin' 1969 S Lincoln Cent

Found this on the ground today while I was waiting for the bus. The front of Lincolns coat has an odd effect to it, too.

Comments

• Options
    rmorganrmorgan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭✭

I'm more intrigued that the penny you happened to find on the ground was a 69-S. These days that is not easy to find in circulation. I've been working with my grandson on his Memorial collection. We've gone through over two thousands pennies and, to my surprise, we've yet to find that one.

My strategy is about collecting what I intend to keep, not investing in what I plan to sell.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2019 8:48PM

coin needs a manicure. Welcome to the forum.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

Thanks for the welcome derry. @rmorgan, I can't believe it either! Still cant

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2019 11:56PM

Looks like two different coins or is it for comparing?

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options

Here are some more pictures; hopefully, better ones

• Options

Like I said in the beginning, this coin looks strange. I'm gonna submit. I'm still very green, but I think this qualifies.
    Honest to God, I found this on the ground! A millionaire planted it as a gag :D

• Options

WAIT!! WTF!!!!

OBVERSE!!!! 9 O'CLOCK!!!!

ADMIN PLEASE!!!!! SOME HELP OVER HERE!!!

• Options

Can someone tell me what im seeing on the obverse rim bottom 7 and 9 o'clock. I think I'm hallucinating

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea, admin, please help! :D

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MstrXplodR said:
    WAIT!! WTF!!!!

OBVERSE!!!! 9 O'CLOCK!!!!

ADMIN PLEASE!!!!! SOME HELP OVER HERE!!!

?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MstrXplodR said:
    I'm gonna submit. I'm still very green, but I think this qualifies.

Qualifies as what?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MstrXplodR said:
    Like I said in the beginning, this coin looks strange. I'm gonna submit. I'm still very green, but I think this qualifies.

This qualifies as a regular cent. There is nothing about it worth submitting unless you want top spend $30 to entomb a coin worth one cent.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Posting Rule 1.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MstrXplodR said:

This qualifies as a regular cent. There is nothing about it worth submitting unless you want top spend $30 to entomb a coin worth one cent.

just puts the OP on par with most of the other coin investors around here. :#

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MstrXplodR said:

just puts the OP on par with most of the other coin investors around here. :#

LOL. SOME, I think, not MOST.

• Options

@MstrXplodR said:
    Can someone tell me what im seeing on the obverse rim bottom 7 and 9 o'clock. I think I'm hallucinating

It's your thumb.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Time for me to put on my bowtie :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

Forgive my slip of the keys. Won't happen again. Excited is all

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MstrXplodR....Welcome aboard.... There is nothing but rim damage in those locations... you have a '69S cent that has spent time on the ground and received the expected damage. You can certainly submit it, however, IMO, you will be wasting your money. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum,
    As has been already stated, it is often cost prohibitive to send coins in for grading, especially a common coin ent found on the ground. Doesnt make it less interesting, but it is just not worth the time and money to slab it.
    My advice is to get a good loupe and hit the bank every week for a $25 box of cents to search. It can be a relaxing hobby, and the only investment is time.
    Eventually you'll find a doubled die, something worth submitting to PCGS. Here is my best find, a 1983 doubled die reverse found about 6 years ago:

Sent that one in and it graded PCGS MS64RD. Worth about $250

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

Okay thx all

• Options

Following up:
    I found this on the side of the road. It was hidden under a banana peel ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file