Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question:

A guy offered to buy this Morgan dollar from me for $20 is that a RIP off?

Comments

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

Melt value is $12.41, so the offer could be worse.
    I'm not a series expert, so I can't tell you from the photos if it is fake or if it has been polished or whizzed.
    From the photos you suggest it is PL or DMPL. You can look up some prices here:
    https://www.pcgs.com/prices/priceguidedetail.aspx?ms=1&pr=1&sp=1&c=744&title=morgan+dollar
    But these really only apply if it has been authenticated and graded by PCGS.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pictures are horrible. That might be way too much money, the right amount, or not enough. The reverse looks like the coin could have been messed with. If so, $20 is not unreasonable. But it's impossible to tell from those photos.

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks cleaned, probably worth melt value. Since you spent more than melt witch is around $12 you probably got ripped off. I suggest find a nicer affordable Morgan, ideally graded👍

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@markelman1125 said:
    Looks cleaned, probably worth melt value. Since you spent more than melt witch is around $12 you probably got ripped off. I suggest find a nicer affordable Morgan, ideally graded👍

Most any Morgan dollar trades above melt value. Also, the original poster stated that he was offered $20, not that he paid that amount.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

A problem-free BU example of this date and mint should sell for $40-$45 retail. I can't tell if your example is problem free or not.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2019 7:59PM

@MFeld I know Morgan’s sell for more than melt. Cleaned avarge date Morgan’s are worth vary close to melt value when they are cleaned. $20 might be alright for the coin but I cannot be 100% sure because the picture is not good enough to show the extent of the damage done to the coin. It looks cleaned. I recommend @Charleshicks51 not get a cleaned Morgans, But save up and get a nice Morgan graded 1880s Ms 63 or Ms 64 for around $50-60. This is my Morgan’ graded Ms 64

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

1) the coin is in a hard case, so the gloves are really not necessary.

2) To get an accurate idea of the value, the coin should be taken out of the holder

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

Lol. Thanks guys, I appreciate it

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2019 2:00AM

Why do say ripoff? I see your posts on BST and your sell on EBAy items including PCGS and Morgan dollars etc and you have no idea if its a good buy or not :#:# .

But yet you have a good ,idea as to the value of items selling?

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭

Yout selling a $650 coin but not sure about a Morgan Dollar of minimal value?

Humm!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the dings and chatter on the obverse, the clean reflective surface is strange... which indicates to me that it has been cleaned - possibly buffed in some manner. Likely the reason you were offered only $20. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file