Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Advice wanted on shipping expensive card

Hi All - I have sold one card for close to $900 that I need to ship. Should I go insured and with signature confirmation for this? I thought that eBay suggested signature confirmation for items $600 and over for seller protection but can't seem to find it on eBay's site.

Daniel

Comments

• dictoresno1dictoresno1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

I would do signature confirmation. Insurance is up to you, from what I've seen USPS barely ever pays out for claims even with proper documentation.

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2019 11:34AM

For sure you want to go with signature confirmation. If you use a the label from Ebay it will have it on there for you for that price amount. I don't typically get insurance from the PO because I am covered elsewhere. Even if you have insurance from the PO making a claim can be difficult from I have read from other posts. Good luck.

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

PWE and a couple stamps should do it! ;)

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

i never get signature confirmation, it's a waste of 3 dollars. go first class with a tracking number on anything under 1,500 of value. the lady at my post office said they only lost 3 packages in the past 28 years.

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:
    i never get signature confirmation, it's a waste of 3 dollars. go first class with a tracking number on anything under 1,500 of value. the lady at my post office said they only lost 3 packages in the past 28 years.

Yeah, but you're not dealing with just your post office. You're also dealing with the other person's post office. And being a former resident of Hollywood, CA, I can tell you that there are beyond the pale incompetent post offices out there that are just a nightmare to deal with. They lost 7 packages on me one Xmas.

Arthur

• wadevlwadevl Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

N Houston lost 3 in the last 28 minutes,,

Lucky
    BIGLEAGUE SportsCards
    "Respect The Hobby"
    www.bigleaguesc.com
    https://www.ebay.com/str/bigleagueseller
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely sig confirmation

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

My vote is USPS w/ signature required for delivery. Skip insurance as all it does is tell guys in the mail sorting room that your package is worth stealing. Instead, you can buy a collectibles insurance policy that covers your items at home and when they ship.

• LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

I would do USPS Express and use a flat rate envelope. Request proof of delivery signature, it's included in the price, and required for ebay's "seller protection" for anything $750+. I don't do USPS insurance, I prefer speed for higher priced stuff.

Matt

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

for what it is worth

paypal/ebay do require sig conf for that amount

I would make sure it is packaged very very well....in a box surrounded with bubbles

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I will definitely go with signature confirmation, packed super carefully (I'm pretty good with that always). I am hearing a lot of scary things about postal insurance so will have ti think about that.

Daniel
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:

You're asking for a chargeback from an unscrupulous buyer. I believe the amount is $250 but over a certain amount Paypal requires signature confirmation for proof of delivery. Without it, it's the same as not delivered.

• coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@coinpalice said:

You're asking for a chargeback from an unscrupulous buyer. I believe the amount is $250 but over a certain amount Paypal requires signature confirmation for proof of delivery. Without it, it's the same as not delivered.

talk to a eBay Concierge member, signature confirmation is recommended but not required. once the tracking number shows delivered that is the proof of delivery, I've been selling for 19 years, 7,000 packages, no problems, no lost packages, no signature confirmation-signature confirmation is not required on any value as far as e bay is concerned

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

Just to help clear the confusion, ebay used to require signature confirmation over $250, but not anymore.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2019 7:32PM

There’s lots of good advice here.

You should do whatever will put your mind most at ease. I too have never had any issuse (other than a delay where it was stuck at a facility a bit). As long as you have tracking on the package and pack it well I’m guessing you’ll be fine.

Never hurts to chat the buyer up in the interim, too.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:

Not this

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:

@Tabe said:

@coinpalice said:

talk to a eBay Concierge member, signature confirmation is recommended but not required. once the tracking number shows delivered that is the proof of delivery, I've been selling for 19 years, 7,000 packages, no problems, no lost packages, no signature confirmation-signature confirmation is not required on any value as far as e bay is concerned

Note that I referred to PayPal not ebay. The amount is actually 750 not 250 but I'm still right:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/seller-protection

Directly from ebay site seller section

eBay protects you
    eBay works to identify, warn, and restrict buyers who file unusually high numbers of cases.
    You can track the number of times eBay Money Back Guarantee cases have been removed from your account as a result of these actions in your seller dashboard.
    Protection when shipping within your stated time: If a buyer claims that they did not receive an item, the related eBay Money Back Guarantee case will be found in your favor if you shipped within your stated handling time and provided tracking information (with signature confirmation for transactions of $750 or more) before the case was escalated to eBay.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets

USPS registered mail is by far the safest way to send. It is slower but even the most dishonest USPS employees
    (yes they have some) know not to mess with this.

Remember Macy's slogan, "the customer is always right."
    USPS slogan we are always right

Dealing with the USPS can be like working with the KGB.
    Even with insurance and full proof of value they can and do refuse a claim.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Absolutely signature confirmation IS required over 750. Even if you have delivery confirmation, you as the seller will lose an item not received claim 100% if not signed for.

Don't buy USPS insurance.

at what dollar amount would you consider getting on a plane and finalizing the transaction face to face? $15,000-$20,000? More?

@miwlvrn said:
    My vote is USPS w/ signature required for delivery. Skip insurance as all it does is tell guys in the mail sorting room that your package is worth stealing. Instead, you can buy a collectibles insurance policy that covers your items at home and when they ship.

would you mind sharing a link or the name of your collectables insurance carrier? I may be interested in that.

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use these guys for insurance policy, based on threads that have appeared here on the CU board

https://collectinsure.com/

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    at what dollar amount would you consider getting on a plane and finalizing the transaction face to face? $15,000-$20,000? More?

Depends on the destination. Being in sub zero temps the last few days, I'd get on a plane to finalize a $10 transaction if it was someplace warm!

Promethius881969@yahoo.com