Home U.S. Coin Forum

To buy or not to buy,,,,,,, 2019 Platinum Coin Preamble to the Declaration of Independence - Liberty

GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 29, 2019 3:28PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This coin goes on sale Thursday at noon. 15,000 max mintage Household limit of 1 per.
Anyone pre-buying these?

What is everyone's thoughts? Winner or Loser

GrandAm :)

To buy or not to buy,,,,,,, 2019 Platinum Coin Preamble to the Declaration of Independence - Liberty

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2019 3:46PM
    No Flip potential

15,000 is too high of a mintage for a Platinum 1 oz coin. The ones that have risen were in the 4,000-5,000 range.

Last year’s issue had 20,000 mintage and is still available (hasn’t even reached 15,000...only 12,411 as of the last report) and can be bought in aftermarket auctions for under issue price.

If you like the coin, I’d suggest waiting and buying one later (my guess is they will be less unless spot has significant movement).

• botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Probably the main motive to buy is, if you've been collecting these, to merely continue the collection. I find the artwork uninspiring to say the least, appearing as if it were low-grade clip-art.

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't buy

Where is the Renaissance of Coinage that Ed Moy boasted was coming?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure

Some good information here,,,,,,, can I change my vote? ;)

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't buy

@U1chicago said:
    15,000 is too high of a mintage for a Platinum 1 oz coin. The ones that have risen were in the 4,000-5,000 range.

Last year’s issue had 20,000 mintage and is still available (hasn’t even reached 15,000...only 12,411 as of the last report) and can be bought in aftermarket auctions for under issue price.

If you like the coin, I’d suggest waiting and buying one later (my guess is they will be less unless spot has significant movement).

Most of the buyers must be speculators or bullion stackers. I don't believe there are even anywhere near 4,000 collectors of this series.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No Flip potential

I like them, but no flip potential, and they will go down in value, so no buy for me

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2019 5:22PM

That’s a nice coin design but doesn’t look like it has anything to do with the Declaration of Independence. No “We the people”, covered wagon? Something seems very off.

Was a real person used as the model for Lady Liberty?

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't buy

Not no but Hell no

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't buy

Exergues are borrrrrring! Nope

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No Flip potential

@WCC said:

@U1chicago said:

Most of the buyers must be speculators or bullion stackers. I don't believe there are even anywhere near 4,000 collectors of this series.

I agree. My guess is that there may be a few thousand dedicated collectors of the Platinum Eagles. I actually like them since the designs change every year (with the exception of the 2017-which was the same as the 1997) and that may have drawn some people into buying an example every year.
    However, ending the fractional sizes in 2008 likely hurt the collector base since more people could afford the smaller ones (even if the premium over spot was higher).

I won't buy

@U1chicago said:

@WCC said:

@U1chicago said:

I agree. My guess is that there may be a few thousand dedicated collectors of the Platinum Eagles. I actually like them since the designs change every year (with the exception of the 2017-which was the same as the 1997) and that may have drawn some people into buying an example every year.
    However, ending the fractional sizes in 2008 likely hurt the collector base since more people could afford the smaller ones (even if the premium over spot was higher).

I'm not knocking anyone who wants to collect it. The change in design adds appeal and platinum has been relatively cheap versus gold for a few years now; first time to my recollection since I became a collector in the mid-1970s.

Concurrently though, I suspect that many who buy the lower mintage issues from all US Mint NCLT do so because they don't think like collectors. There have been many low mintages from commemoratives, First Spouse, AGE and this series. Some sell for small multiples to melt but few or none are likely to sell for a lot more except because of the spot price, a marketing promotion or it's a 70 where the population is (relatively) low. Too many low mintages as has happened recently negates the importance of a low mintage, most will remain in high quality indefinitely and all are a lot more common than high quality circulating coinage of any value.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't buy

I'm not totally against moderns but they have to be very eye appealing for me to even consider it. I usually spend my money on classics.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't buy

Sadly, this has become like the spouses. Low collector base and too much for a premium from the Mint that later is worth near spot. There are some nice designs and I have a few but largely uninspiring.
    On a positive note, spot platinum is down. Because in the end, I only see these as spot. Just like the spouses. And the spouses overall are just terrible designs.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will buy

Hey, cool!

I'll be the only guy to own one! Pop 1/0, baby!

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2019 7:55PM

I really believe Platinum will come back in the next several years.to above $1,000 and probably even $1,200.

I will buy one in a 70 PCGS slab for sure.

• illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure some people will be lining up at the Mint booth at the Long Beach Show to buy one... but likely not me!

:+1:

• botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Aside from the arguably mediocre coin art, another factor I expect will result in underwhelming first day and first week sales is awareness of the fluctuating spot price of Platinum, which during this month of January 2019 has twice dipped below 800. Another such dip for about a few days will reduce the mint's selling price 50 bucks, from what is projected to be an offering of 1220 when it goes on sale January 31st back to the 1170 you can still buy the 2018 for until tomorrow, Wednesday morning January 30th. You might get it for less by waiting.

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

UGLY, with way too many mottos, etc. jumbled about. The eagle could have been a hit if made MUCH larger in size with the mottos/legends hidden away a bit more (are there regulations concerning the size of the font/lettering, etc.?).
    I want to be a fan of the platinum and have quite a few from over the years - the 2016 was a bit nicer IMO, but none have really been all they could have been.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2019 9:27PM
    Don't care,,,,,,,,

If I bought all of this stuff, I would have no money left for what interests me.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not sure

ill wait for after market

• Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't buy

Not enough money I would much rather buy a nice old gold.

I won't buy

@BillJones said:
    If I bought all of this stuff, I would have no money left for what interests me.

This is one of if not the primary reason this stuff is primarily bought by stackers and speculators. It isn't interesting.

I am not sure

Isn’t lady Liberty pretty close in appearance to the BIG Star one everyone was so highly praising a couple years back?

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't buy

You are right. There is a resemblance. I am just not a fan of all the busyness at the bottom of the obverse.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I won't buy

Liberty looks like Jane Wyatt.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

edited January 30, 2019 3:56PM
    I am not sure

Well, I like it but will wait and buy a graded one if it gets cheaper than issue cost at some point.

Well,,,, it will have to get alot cheaper. Platinum spot = $825 today,,,,,, Mint Issue Price = $1220.00 = $395 over melt
    :o:o:o:o:o

• batumibatumi Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭
    I will buy

I will buy one-in the secondary market graded PR70 in the secondary market for less than the mint issue price like I have for the rest of the moderns I have purchased since 2008.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file