Home U.S. Coin Forum

This Toned Up Quickly. 2017P Lincoln Cent.

FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 29, 2019 3:14PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Busted open a roll of 17P Lincolns and this was on the end. Actually its Pretty.

Ken

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2019 2:49PM

Yes, if you like ED spots. >:)

Contest w/no prize: What do you think the bright pink area at the bottom is from. There are two things it could be.

• FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

ED???--- Environmental Damage? If so I guess almost all of the 17P Lincoln Cents should be body bagged. I have only found a couple that have no spots at all. Opened about 20 rolls.

Ken

There are spots (mint made on lot's of the 2009's) and spots from either improper storage or something left on the coins during manufacture, shipping, or later.

What do you think caused the patch of pink? I'd like to steal your image for a quiz.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bright pink area? On my screen it looks like abrasions from the crimping machine.

@JBK said:
    Bright pink area? On my screen it looks like abrasions from the crimping machine.

There is one more thing it can be. It is often seen on Lincoln's.

@Insider2 said:

@JBK said:

Come to think of it, I have seen a lot of new cents with that effect in new rolls. Maybe a scrape from the collar during ejection?

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is one crappy looking lincoln. Quality control? Not

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

@JBK said:

@Insider2 said:

@JBK said:

Come to think of it, I have seen a lot of new cents with that effect in new rolls. Maybe a scrape from the collar during ejection?

I never thought of that. I think it is something else.

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but....

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2019 6:15PM

That is some pretty quick toning, especially since I know how dry it is where you live. ;)

Looks like a nice burnout left by a counting wheel/machine.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    I never thought of that. I think it is something else.

Do tell! It wrecks a lot of otherwise pristine cents and I always wondered about the cause.

• georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Some years ago I had a bad drain clog. A friend gave me some pro-grade liquid drain opener to use. IIRC it had sulfuric acid in it. I had some newly minted bright red cents that were among the change on my dresser. The next morning they had acquired very beautiful bullseye toning. REALLY PRETTY stuff. But I can imagine over time they changed for the worse. I didn't set any aside to see how they would fare though.

Usually, these marks are from a weak part of the strike. I got permission from the OP to use his image for a quiz but have no time at the moment. I'll image some of these. The clue that it is not any type of damage is the surface remains 100% natural with the dull "pink" color of the planchet inside the grooves.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting... the pink area does look like it has scratches... however, they seem to be in the non-pink areas as well. Cheers, RickO

@Insider2 said:
    Usually, these marks are from a weak part of the strike. I got permission from the OP to use his image for a quiz but have no time at the moment. I'll image some of these. The clue that it is not any type of damage is the surface remains 100% natural with the dull "pink" color of the planchet inside the grooves.

"Weak part of the strike"....maybe a die that is ever so slightly tilted so that one side (the side at the bottom of the portrait) is slightly higher than the opposite side (above his head)? In other words, not completely level?

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

I must be colorblind, I don't see pink. I do see the unstruck planchet copper color surface at the base of the bust and other high points though.

Collector, occasional seller

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stole this pic from ebay, don't call the police.

Collector, occasional seller

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Yes, if you like ED spots. >:)

Contest w/no prize: What do you think the bright pink area at the bottom is from. There are two things it could be.

Lighting.

Many happy BST transactions
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like your coin, @Fairlaneman .

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file