Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Silly eBay question...

First, I’m definitely a collector. I have been on eBay for just about 10 years and collecting much longer. Like anyone else, I’ll occasionally sell an item (maybe 5 a year on average - some more some less, almost always to buy a card I want more).

Anyway, I just got a message that says, essentially:

‘Your items below are in a few peoples carts already so lower the price and we’ll notify them right away.’

My silly question is I should just leave the price where it is and wait for the next eBay % off or bucks promo, right?

And as I typed, would that message be better sent to buyers? Assuming it is legit, I think as a buyer I may be inclined to pull the trigger on a watch list item if I knew, say, 10 other people had an item in their cart (mine exact cart number is not indicated that I can tell, for the record).

Just curious if anyone has anything to offer on the topic and confirmation that I’m reading it the right way.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

Comments

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 27, 2019 2:12PM

I would agree with your assessment. I personally have items in my cart for just such occasions.

I’ve received similar messages about “eyes are on it “ it’s on X number of people’s watch list. Never about being in a cart though.

Kevin

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cut the full shot down some because it has my items pictured in the email.

I’d never got on with carts, have seen watch list referenced before, as well.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depending on how competitive your pricing is, I would make a slight <5% drop, see if the buyers bite.

I have received similar emails.

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

If ebay really wanted the sale, they could say

"You have items in your card waiting to be sold, so we will help you by giving you the chance to offer it to the buyers at 5% less, by taking 5% OFF your ebay fees"

Other than that, I just ignore the messages

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get both of the messages at the same time but separate. Items in your cart message and a separate message of eyes on your items...or whatever it is. I have previously lowered the prices of those items by 5%...maybe Ebay sends the buyer a message and maybe they don't. Really has had no effect. If I were to lower them again, I would probably just wait until a there is a Bucks or discount promo and if they don't sell, do the 5% to see if entices anyone to make a purchase. You can set the length of time you want your items reduced.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks everyone. I do appreciate all the good advice.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

I get both of those messages as well. when I first got the cart message, I lowered stuff by 5% and didn't sell anything, so now I just wait for the right buyer. Did ebay actually let the buyer know, I have no idea. I feel like I price my stuff competitively with recent sales, not recent asking prices, so if I start lowering prices, I'd be too low and leaving money on the table.