Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is up with this 1857 Flying Eagle Cent?

davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does not seem to be fully struck, and has weak areas on both sides. Is it a grease filled die, an adjustment strike or a counterfeit? The weight is normal, so not a tapered planchet.

Comments

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say weak stuck. Not uncommon with the high relief on these coins!

• Options
    KeithMS70KeithMS70 Posts: 192 ✭✭✭

Just a weak strike I’d say

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Philadelphia Mint had persistent trouble brining up the design of FE cents. Relief was too high for the power of available equipment, and 88-12 alloy was very difficult to properly heat treat for soft planchets. These were primary reasons for the change of a Liberty portrait. The public was also confused because they associated an eagle with silver and gold coins, and the flying version was not "normal" on a US coin.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Typical weak strike. I've seen them so bad that the eagle's head is almost gone.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

agree with all the above - it's a weak strike,
    not a struck thru, filled die, etc., in case
    anyone was wondering.......

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a weak strike especially seeing the reverse.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

An excellent example of a weak strike and RogerB gave good information on the problem. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

So if I send it to PCGS, how do they grade it?

technical grade of XF but market grade of VF ?

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally don't think that's a good candidate to send for grading but that's just my opinion I know people have different reasons for grading stuff and I'm not gonna judge

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent this nice 1857 FE cent to ICG where it graded as an AU58:

This other one has a flat strike:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file