Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mintage Rarity Standing of 2018 Breast Cancer Commemorative

IntueorIntueor Posts: 310 ✭✭✭✭

The currently reported mintage of the Breast Cancer $5.00 Unc. Gold Commemorative is 4,477.
The currently reported mintage of the Breast Cancer $.50 Unc. Clad Commemorative is 11,301.
Respectively, where does each stand on the low-mintage scale of Modern Commemoratives?

unus multorum
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

Numbers like that used to excite me but I have learned that there will always be a new "lowest" mintage yet to come.

I chased a few low mintage commems but once a lower mintage came along my previous "rarities" were now just more of the same.

The mintages are so low because demand is so low.

If you can buy the gold near spot and want a potential numismatic upside (that is unlikely to ever materialize in the foreseeable future) then buy all means stack some gold commems. Same for silver, and the clad if the markup is not too high.

Now I only buy commems that I REALLY like, and even then it is still a little tough to pull the trigger.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    Does not matter. 99% will remain in original condition for the next 200 years. Interest will likely wane long before then.

+1

Additional reasons for this low mintage:

1. Collectors do not find most of the themes on recent US commemoratives interesting. This is one.
    2. The US Mint has issued at least one commemorative theme (dollar and $5) every single year since 1986. This has likely reduced the number of collectors willing and able to keep their sets current because of the cost and better alternatives for the money.
    3. I suspect that demand has been displaced by world NCLT. The most popular designs are apparently viewed as better by most collectors.
    4. I suspect that much of the reduced demand is still at least partially driven by speculators and collectors who are buying it due to the low mintage. It's based upon an ILLOGICAL comparison to circulating coinage for the reason you stated. They don't really like these coins that much if at all but buy it anyway because they view it as a low cost speculative option.
  • Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Intueor said:
    The currently reported mintage of the Breast Cancer $5.00 Unc. Gold Commemorative is 4,477.
    The currently reported mintage of the Breast Cancer $.50 Unc. Clad Commemorative is 11,301.
    Respectively, where does each stand on the low-mintage scale of Modern Commemoratives?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_United_States_commemorative_coins

See above link. I have not verified it's accuracy. One correction to my prior post, there are a few years with no $5 coin.

• Options

The currently reported mintage of the Breast Cancer $.50 Unc. Clad Commemorative is 11,301 This one is the lowest half dollar modern commemorative. So far....

The currently reported mintage of the Breast Cancer $5.00 Unc. Gold Commemorative is 4,477. Boys town mintage is lower.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Member "WCC" makes a lot of good sense. I will bring these points up with the director next time we meet, if others have not already done so.

• Options

@WCC – Thanks for the link.
    @bigmountainlion – The Breast Cancer $.50 Unc. Clad Commemorative at 11,301 is the lowest with the 2017 Boys Town Clad Unc. at 15,561. I think the $5.00 is in the 5th or 6th position. But remember, technically it is a single year “Type” coin since it is Rose Gold.
    While not an “investment position”, I have put together a complete set of Modern Commemorative Clad & Silver, Proof & Uncirculated halves and dollars. Many are below issuing price, and as others have pointed out, “of little interest”. It is not hard to find some of these really nice slabbed coins (MS69) at below issue price. Here is the thing, because of the lack of interest, I have been able to “Cherry Pick” some very nice examples both slabbed and raw. Granted if you see Commemoratives on an individual scale many are of limited appeal or value. However, when you look at a complete collection, the diversity and art are quite impressive. Ok, this is just the opinion of a low level “collector”, but as a “set” commemoratives are unusually appealing.
    Thanks for the responses. :)

unus multorum
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to keep up the modern commemorative coins, but I got bored or hostile the toward topics and tired from of spending the money every year. As it was with the old commemoratives, there are too many coins.

I let my complete sets lapse a few years ago and have not regretted it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will become rare when Breast Cancer is cured.

bob

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@AUandAG said:

bob

Not for value but for compassion, I hope that day comes soon.

unus multorum
  • Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭

Commemoratives lend themselves perfectly to box of 20 collecting.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@AUandAG said:

bob

I just want to see breast cancer cured.
    After watching my mother in law battle through it, knowing my wife’s grandmother died from it, and that my wife and her sister have to live knowing it’s not a matter of if, but when, I want BC eradicated.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olympicsos said:
    Commemoratives lend themselves perfectly to box of 20 collecting.

Not sure why you resurrected a 5 year old thread, please do not in the future unless you are adding information.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file