Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2019 12:16AM

To much of this going on.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang that's a lotta gold! Someone took a big hit. I figure that's about 120 ounces of gold! Hope they catch the malefactors ... and @habaraca I sure hope it wasn't yours!

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ughhh....I have a pit in my stomach after reading that. Absolutely horrible!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow.... I certainly hope that is solved and the coins recovered....with the last known station, it is narrowed down a bit... Not much detail there. I hope we get follow up reports on this. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

Iffn yer gonna steal, steal something fenceable.

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes keep us informed maybe they will get their dues

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Copied it to the Coin Dealer Network.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

So they were in UPS possession when stolen? Either something sounds fishy or someone hit the random package jackpot.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 586 French 20 Francs is not something seen very often.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:

And after they hit the melting pot, those will not be seen again.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see 12 posts to this thread (including OP) but the post count shows 21....

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:

@davewesen said:

I doubt they will be melted. It's not like they have serial numbers that can identify them as coming from a specific source. Also, it would be difficult to sell a large unmarked ingot of gold. If they're smart they'll wait until things cool off and then sell a few at a time here and there in a location far from where the crime took place.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does UPS insurance cover bullion? I believe it doesn't.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

We had a gun point robbery in my area last week, Monday. No fire was shot, no-one was hurt. One of the two black robbers did jump over the counter. They took off with cash, no coins. I was driving by shortly after it happened on my way to bowling, there were 4 squad cars there.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@BillDugan1959 said:

@davewesen said:

I doubt they will be melted. It's not like they have serial numbers that can identify them as coming from a specific source. Also, it would be difficult to sell a large unmarked ingot of gold. If they're smart they'll wait until things cool off and then sell a few at a time here and there in a location far from where the crime took place.

Don't agree. The demand for old (19th Cetury) European gold coin is pissy. Lots of this stuff has been melted (legally and honestly) in the last five years. Not really a loss to numismatics. Napoleons and Roosters are kinda drecky, but gold is gold.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't imagine sending that amount of gold uninsured.... but I don't think UPS insures it... wonder what the details are. Private insurance hopefully?

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shipping bullion to Germany via the mail seems like a lot of risk for way too little reward, even with insurance.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

UPS is not the mail BTW!

@MrEureka said:
    Shipping bullion to Germany via the mail seems like a lot of risk for way too little reward, even with insurance.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    UPS is not the mail BTW!

@MrEureka said:

Oops. Interesting to me, though. I didn't even know that UPS delivered internationally, although it should have been obvious. Then again, I've never received an international package via UPS, and I receive a lot of international packages!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope the sender had private insurance. Seriously doubt ups will cover the loss although they will likely investigate and cooperate with the proper authorities.

• Options
    maplemanmapleman Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ups is imho the carrier of last resort.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stolen gold in Philadelphia! It is gone. When perps steal precious metals that cost them nothing, it's sold for weight. Too bad.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    botanistbotanist Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Seems to have been an inside job from the info provided. Were the contents correctly described on the attached customs form, showing a value of over $150K?

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@BillDugan1959 said:

@davewesen said:

I'm thinking they will be melted.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neither UPS or Fed-ex will cover coins. That tell ya anything? I never use either!

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do they sell it once melted? Where does one take a 120 oz blob of 90% gold for a legitimate sale? Just curious.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@savitale said:
    How do they sell it once melted? Where does one take a 120 oz blob of 90% gold for a legitimate sale? Just curious.

Something like that would raise a giant red flag at any legitimate refinery. Also, these are coins without serial numbers so once you take them out of their original packaging and put them in fresh plastic tubes it would be impossible to prove their source.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file