Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Seattle Boeing Employees Coin Club Show Report

KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

I arrived about 15 minutes before the doors opened at 10 AM. There was a long, single-file line extending basically to the building's outside door. When the doors opened, everyone rushed in. As I walked the bourse floor through the day, it was evident that there was steady business happening. The aisles were crowded, especially in the morning and early afternoon, and upon talking to several dealers they said it was "way better than last year" and "a really solid show." I heard almost no complaints from any dealers, except for one who said it was his "worst show ever" - he had a lot of overpriced silver in his cases. I saw several dealers who pretty much did not sit down from 10 AM - 12 PM, they were so busy. The seats at the ANACS table seemed to always be full as well.

As for me, my main specialties are sample slabs and numismatic literature, both relatively unlikely things to find on a regional show's floor. However, I was lucky to pick up one sample and one book. I also enjoy pieces with some cool history, and a dealer friend of mine found for me an unopened box of OPA points which I am ecstatic about. I also grabbed some other miscellanea.

I had one other purpose at the show. Every year, the American Numismatic Association, at their Summer Seminar, hosts an auction. This auction is run entirely by the YNs attending the Seminar, and all the money raised from the auction goes towards providing scholarships for kids to attend the Seminar in future years. The kids do EVERYTHING - from lot donations to cataloging to lot viewing to running and recording to finances. There is one YN that oversees them all, and I was appointed to do that this year. Since the auction's lots are all donations, one of my responsibilities is to find some donors before the Seminar begins, and so I approached several dealers at the show about donating. Their generosity was overwhelming. If you, too would like to donate to this great cause, DM me.

Finally, after the show the Pacific Northwest Numismatic Association held a board meeting, which I just attended out of interest. Several of the guys on the board knew me already, and we all had a good discussion about the show. Then, just as I was leaving, the President of the board asked if I would like to be a board-appointed YN board member, and I said yes. The board voted unanimously for me, so now I am a board member!

Purchases during the show:
-David Hall Signed Label PCGS 30th Anniversary Medal
-The previously mentioned unopened box of OPA Points
-A 1953 perpetual coin calendar
-An encased IHC in probably the best condition I've ever seen for an encased piece
-An encased Memorial cent advertising "The Coin Den"
-A token from the 1962 Seattle World's Fair advertising the "$1 Million Exhibit"
-A transit token from the 1962 Seattle World's Fair
-An elongated cent from the 1962 Seattle World's fair advertising the Space Needle
-Washington State Trade Tokens by Al Erickson
-An octagonal token issued by the Pikes Peak Numismatic Association
-A lot of old, junky coins pulled from an estate which I will be releasing into circulation for the Great American Coin Exchange this April
-A 2017 silver eagle

The show continues today, but unfortunately I will be unable to make it. Overall, it was an excellent show.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your show report @KellenCoin and your unanimous appointment to the Pacific Northwest Numismatic Association.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report! Congrats on the appointment to the board.

Now, I saw that Hall signed 30th Ann. piece and it wasn't for sale - how did you get that?? :D What was the sample?

Sorry to have missed you - was there later in the day visiting with Bochiman and having Carr pieces graded by ANACS.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    Nice report! Congrats on the appointment to the board.

Now, I saw that Hall signed 30th Ann. piece and it wasn't for sale - how did you get that?? :D What was the sample?

Sorry to have missed you - was there later in the day visiting with Bochiman and having Carr pieces graded by ANACS.

The Hall piece, despite not being technically a sample, is what I called a sample above. But yes, it is the piece you saw.

I won't tell my secret for how I got that :)

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report and it is great that you were appointed to the PNNA board! This is what is needed to help generate interest for the next generation of numismatists.

You must have got some of the items from Del Cushing's collection - a token and medal legend who passed away last year.

The Erickson book is excellent.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the informative report and congrats on your appointment

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very good report and Congratulations on your appointment. Great efforts on your part for YN's and the hobby in general. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats @KellenCoin and thanks for the great report :smile:
    Boston

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    FishproFishpro Posts: 381 ✭✭✭

Lots of floor traffic on Saturday morning. About 2pm it slowed way down. The show was very well run and was fun to be part of. Thank you for a great show.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to see your post and show report Kellen. I hope you are keeping up with your studies, too! Where should I send some donations for the auction?

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report. I have sent a couple "bargain lots" to the ANA for the YN auction.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file