Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's the transition period for California fractional gold?

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I ...used to...have the book on them. Forget the title but as I....recall.... it said that the ones in the 1850's were actual pieces for commerce and the 1870's were more ...jewelry... intended.

??? :)

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please clarify the question.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

As I recall, the book I had on fractional CA pieces said that the gold fractionals in the 1850's period were used for money.

And... the later ones (1870's era) were for jewelry purposes.

Or it didn't. As I said, I no longer have the book.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have the book either, but you are correct I believe.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you really want to know what circulated and what did not, take a look at the population reports. If all known specimens are uncirculated, that's a pretty good clue that they were probably never used as money.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2019 11:41AM

I've found this article to be pretty useful. It breaks these coins in to Period 1, 2, and 3.

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/2349/Fantasy-and-Souvenir-California-Fractional-Gold/

Here's a small excerpt:

Those struck from 1852 to 1857 are termed “Period One” issues and are believed to have actually circulated, while the “Period Two” strikes from 1858 to 1882 were struck as souvenirs of the Gold Rush by local jewelers. NGC grades Period One and Two issues, as well as 15 Period Three varieties (mostly struck in the early 1900s), but modern replicas are very common and routinely submitted. A few helpful tips can make sure you never get fooled by these sometimes deceptive fantasy pieces.

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was not aware of this, thank you for sharing. I do not own any fractional gold, yet, but I like the history of the great western migration associated with them.

• Options
    CaptainBluntCaptainBlunt Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

1852-1857 Period 1
    1858-1882 Period 2 Jewelry

1852-1853 or 54 coins souvenirs too
    1855-1857 gray area not as clear
    1858-1882 Period 2

In early 1860 Cal manufacturers Frontier and Deviercy advertised that they
    were selling Jewelry coin.

Regarding circulation BG 101, 206, 207, 209, 401, 501, 602 and 603
    are some of the coins that appear to have circulation wear

BG 602 and 603 are very rare round dollars dated 1854....

BG 101, 206, 209 among other varieties were found on the wreck of the Winfield Scott
    which ran aground on Anacapa Island on the night of Dec. 2, 1853.

401 SSCA

I know during the first salvage on the SSCA 4 Cals were found all BG 111 (quarters)

Second salvage 2014 112 CALS were recovered

Probably because in 2014 a wider area of the wreck was explored including
    where her passengers had left their gold behind. The first salvage effort
    concentrated on the commercial shipment of gold found in the so-called
    "Garden of Gold."

I think the first gold (ingots) recovered in 2014 were sitting in plastic trays
    that CADG had placed on the bottom and never got the chance to bring it to the surface.

Obviously the dominant date of the CALS recovered from the Winfield Scott was 1853.
    The dominant date recovered from the S.S.CA appears to have been 1856.

The dollars may have reached their zenith in circulation in 1853 based on the newspaper
    accounts and the number of Nouzillet dollars recovered from the Winfield Scott in comparison
    to just a handful of CAL $1 gold pieces apparently recovered from the S.S. Central America.

I know some will ague that the CALS recovered from the SSCA proves they were used as money
    in 1857...fair enough...I know a large number of these coins must have been shipped back from
    California in sealed letters as souvenirs and the SSCA was also carrying mail, however those pieces
    must have drifted away within their envelopes.

So yes passenger's gold equates more CALS being recovered ....but we are still talking about less than
    $100 1857 face value on a ship carrying over $1.2 million dollars in gold at 1857 prices.

Most of the Period 1 pieces are lightweight and their small size made them an attractive souvenir.
    So while they originally were made to circulate they probably for the most part became
    souvenirs before the end of Period 1.

Still it is amazing that they recovered these pieces from such a great depth.
    I don't know if any were found in the pokes of gold dust.
    It would have been hard to hang on to these pieces because of their small size.

I helped put together BG 2. I don't know if there will ever be a BG 3. Mike Locke at calgoldcoin.com
    and Bob Leonard are the true experts in this field.....

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2019 12:30PM

@MrEureka said:
    If you really want to know what circulated and what did not, take a look at the population reports. If all known specimens are uncirculated, that's a pretty good clue that they were probably never used as money.

Actually not. Many of these pieces from every period were somehow preserved in TRUE MS condition (no trace of wear) when viewed under magnification.

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

This might help:

Manufactured by Hershfield & Mitchell, Leavenworth, Kansas. Proprietors arrested and Mint asked for guidance on legality of "Californian 50-cent gold coins." Mint assay showed only about 50% of face value in gold.

“Most of the coin are put in circulation by being enclosed in prize candy packages and then disposed of on the [street] cars.”

U.S. Attorney for Kansas
    Aug 23, 1871

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@MrEureka said:

Actually not. Many of these pieces from every period were somehow preserved in TRUE MS condition (no trace of wear) when viewed under magnification.

I wasn't suggesting that a mint state coin proves that the issue didn't circulate. I was suggesting that the existence of circulated coins indicate that the issue circulated. And that, likwise, the non-existence of circulated coins indicate that the issue probably didn't circulate. It sounds ridiculously obvious, but it's an important point.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptainBlunt ... .Thanks for the history associated with these little beauties... imagine how many of these tiny pieces are forever buried in the ocean depths....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any of the phony pieces that ended up in sea water have likely been eroded to dust by now. A gold alloy much below 90% will be consumed.

• Options

@ricko said:
    @CaptainBlunt ... .Thanks for the history associated with these little beauties... imagine how many of these tiny pieces are forever buried in the ocean depths....Cheers, RickO

Many were "buried" under the old wooden sidewalks when they restored Columbia, CA to Columbia State Park.

http://www.visitcolumbiacalifornia.com/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file