Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Willmington Coin club Coin Show report

COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

the show was interesting to say the least. attendance was down from what I understand from the folks running the show but that wasn't due to the lack of advertising or anything. there was snow the first night and the next morning there was still some slick spots. and on Saturday there was a threat of winter weather moving in so a lot of dealers packed up early so they could get home before getting stuck in the storm.

now I don't sell ms 65 graded coins with cac stickers or anything, I'm more of a mid grade dealer so I don't really follow the market surrounding the real high grade stuff. but what I can say is the low and mid grade stuff is still being saught after as long as its problem free. there were many lists being shown to me from people wanting to fill witman folders and dansco albums. I also heard quite a few customers saying they wanted to fill some holes from there childhood collection and that they were getting back into the hobby after a number of years I was asked for half cents through peace dollars in all grades. as I walked around the show and talked to friends that are dealers they told me they were selling lots of new 2019 American eagles as well as graded gold. also a coin I don't get asked about to much seemed to be a hot ticket item for some of my friends and that was seated half dimes. 3 or 4 of my dealer friends told me they were selling lots of these and I also sold a good amount as well.

it was nice to see a new dealer that was younger. he had a nice spread with a large mix of foreign coins and us coins as well as bullion and tokens. through out the show I looked over and he seemed pretty busy. and wow did he know his stuff about coins.

all in all it was a good show. normally this show is great for us but this time I will say it was just good due mostly to the fact of all the weather scares. but we handed in our contract for next year and am already looking forward to it.

sorry probably not the best show report but just figured I would write one to give a perspective to the low and mid grade market

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
HAPPY COLLECTING

Comments

• Options
    StupidStupid Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

Thanks for writing the report.

I like hearing about all aspects of the market.

• Options
    rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Nice report, thank you, nice to hear from a dealer who deals with coins some of us can actually afford

• Options
    BigJohnDBigJohnD Posts: 329 ✭✭✭

Nope, probably not the best show report I've ever read, but in the top 5. There are more people here that relate to the lower end than the top end.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report @COINS MAKE CENTS

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, I appreciate the effort. I enjoy hearing about all aspects of the market.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way to cover the show. Thanks!

Was most stuff selling graded, or in 2x2s?

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2019 3:11AM

Your remarks on the weather hampering attendance reminds me of the 1985 Wilmington Coin Show, it was held in a hotel just off I-95 on Naaman's Road. I was there on this date (January 20) and it was the beginning of one of the worst cold waves of the century. Braved light blowing snow and about 9-degree temperatures to drive to this show. Sad to say for the dealers, it was a quiet morning for attendance, as I recall. For me, all went well - I managed to pick up a key coin I needed for my collection, a 1923-S Standing Liberty Quarter. Paid $400 back then, the dealer was someone who I wasn't familiar with. Just last year I finally submitted this coin for grading and it came back AU-58.

I guess things could've been worse - the following morning, the temp went down to -14 degrees in Wilmington.

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SurfinxHI said:
    Way to cover the show. Thanks!

Was most stuff selling graded, or in 2x2s?

Alot of it was in 2x2s didnt really get many people who asked about slabs

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report... good to see that there was brisk business (despite the weather) in the mid range coin market.... It really is the largest segment of the hobby. We tend to forget that here on the forum with all the talk of high grade slabs and CAC stickers... many people are still filling albums or just personal collections....Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file