Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Expert opinion needed on this strange 84-CC GSA Morgan.

JasonGamingJasonGaming Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 19, 2019 4:56PM in U.S. Coin Forum

As I am not an error expert, I would like some others to chime in. I checked the VAM listings for this coin but it seems this one doesn’t match up to any of those. Not sure if these are die scratches/gouges or just bagmarks. There are also very many die cracks (some shown in second to last and last photo) running around on both sides and through the words, motto, stars, USA, and “ONE DOLLAR.” Thanks for anyone’s help.

Always buying nice toned coins! Searching for a low grade 1873 Arrows DDO Dime and 1842-O Small Date Quarter.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

From your pictures, I would say there are some legitimate die cracks, though minor... and the rest look like PMD.... Cheers, RickO

• Options

Thanks @ricko :)

Always buying nice toned coins! Searching for a low grade 1873 Arrows DDO Dime and 1842-O Small Date Quarter.

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2019 6:16PM

Images 5 and 7 show die clashes. The vertical line coming up from the eagle's right wing is a clash from Liberty's neck on the obverse, and the mark between the eagle's left wing and the wreath is from her hair. Lots of Morgans can be found with these clash marks. On the obverse, you might see a diagonal line extending into the field from Liberty's neck; this is the edge of the eagle's wing from the reverse. The clashing indicates the obverse and reverse dies struck each other because there wasn't a planchet in the press during one or more of the strikes, and parts of the design from each transferred to the other. It could also be the cause for the cracks.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

Really good information, @cmerlo1 I appreciate it! Now I have to research if the other marks on the coin mean anything.

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

The only thing I can say is great close up pic taking there!

• Options

@fc who needs expensive cameras when you have a phone and loupe?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file