Home U.S. Coin Forum

Seattle Boeing Coin Show report

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got to the show about 45 minutes after it opened. All tables were taken. Traffic was there. Wasn't too busy but it wasn't slow. I could walk through the aisles without bumping into someone on each side but each table/dealer seemed to have a person or two engaged at all times.

I took a few coins to try to sell (dupes from upgrades, etc....and some 90% to give me some quick coin cash).

The 90% was quoted as 10.4x face. I didn't have to deal with shipping or waiting or anything, so I did it for a couple of rolls of quarters (I had bought the $100 face from apmex on ebay a couple of times, to help fill in our dansco, and had more 90% than I wanted to keep). I brought more than that, but at 10.4, I only sold the 2 rolls.

Shopped around some coins as well. Had some interest in a few of them, but very lowball from a handful of dealers. I don't "need" to sell, and I do like some of them, but was looking to sell for an acceptable price, if offered, to help fund other coins. I'll likely try to get them up on the BST and/or ebay soon.

Had an old small holdered ANACS 1912 MS64RB Lincoln (should have been BN...I wasn't the original submitter but I have had it since 2006....decided to finally sell it). It was nice. Correctly graded, imho. Smooth looking. Offers were $50-$65. Ok, I get it. It's not high grade. It's not a key/semi-key. It's not "red". It wasn't in the "right" holder (PCGS). Recent sales of "comparables" was around $60 (not toned and not great looking...just going by the number on the holder). However, if one was a dealer and had anyone interested in toned lincolns, it was NOT a $60 coin. Sold it to a dealer for twice that that the others offered...but he was a dealer who knows about toned coins and has customers for them. I figured it would end up with him, if anyone, and so he was the last one I showed any coins for sale to.

Morgans (non-toned) were DEAD on the selling side. Everyone had a ton for sale but dealers really either really lowballed or didn't even want to offer (even on PCGS graded "common" morgans).

No one there that specialized in EAC that I saw. Normally, a couple of guys, but not this time. After I showed the first dealer a couple of PCGS graded half-cents, since he asked if I had other items for sale, I just put them away and didn't bring them out again.

Gold - COLD at this show. Most dealers had some to offer. Prices went from "meh" to "really? wow! That much for THAT, huh?" On the buy side, even common PCGS $10 Indians in lower MS were offered melt....OR BELOW....if an offer was even made. One dealer mentioned that a friend of his in Oregon, who does "A LOT" of gold deals, just got a lot of saints in, graded in PCGS/NGC, for $75 UNDER melt and sold them to this guy, his "friend" for $5 over melt.....and he, in turn, "blew through them" at $50 over melt. Stories, but none there, so who knows. I do know that gold was pretty cold there.

SAEs/silver everywhere. Many dealers had raw SAEs...I forget what the "generic" over spot price was, as I wasn't interested in them, but I did see a dealer having some "toned" SAEs that he wanted $40-$60+ for....they were dingy gray toned but labeled as "nice toning"...um, ok.....

Saw a fellow board member drop off some stuff at ANACS, to Cindi there. She was super nice to talk to. I won't steal any thunder from the board member on what he was doing, so he can comment if he wants. Always a pleasure to chat with him.

Swampboy and SeattleSlammer were AWOL for this show. I know they have lives, but I count on them as solid foundations at these shows :)

Since it's a Boeing show, there are always "dealers" who are Boeing folks and so you get to see things that aren't always at the other shows. In the past, I have found some nice things that were off the market for awhile, but today's show was a lot of the same common stuff. A bit more currency than I normally see at these shows, but I don't do currency myself so, even though the POW script was cool to see, I wasn't going to pay $800+ for it.....

Saw a lot of rattlers (not the white ones), fair number of PCGS OGHs, some NGC fatties, but, other than that, nothing special in the holder front (fair number of ANACS small slabs, including alpha-numeric instead of just numeric). Thankfully, saw fewer than normal 3rd world, or worse, slabs (or worse = self slab without being upfront about it being self slabbed).

So, what did I go to the show looking to buy?

• I looked for a 1797 "1 over 1" PCGS half cent (right price, right look). NA
  • Toned roosevelts (FB preferred). Saw some, but nothing was right
  • Nice, but common, raw franklins for the dansco #2 set we are doing. Nope...lot of franklins, all looked pretty rough raw...and/or were GROSSLY overpriced
  • Some nice, raw, could be circ, Washington quarters for our dansco. Found 1 that was nice and worth it, for $7 unc. Rest started going $15-$20+...even though common, no cool toning, whatever. Seemed high.
  • No 2019 SAEs.....looking to get a couple for the albums. No one at the show appeared to have them.
  • Any doilies/cool samples...before Lakesammman got there. Nope....didn't see any.
  • IHC Proofs...toned. I always look for these. Sometimes see them. Didn't really see any today.

So, my wants were pretty specific and others may have a better show. Overall, I haven't been to a show in months, so I did enjoy going. I wish I would have seen more things that interested me, but I did enjoy talking with the dealers, who were having a good show they said, and with Lakes....

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very good report Ron... Thank you... and thanks for the mention of the gold market.... It is strange lately.... money moving in and out with the rise and fall of the stock markets..
    Always enjoyed the Boeing show....and still have some coins I purchased there...Cheers, RickO

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for taking the time to write that report @Bochiman.
    I wish I was in town because I love that show down in Baja Tukwila.

I'm surprised to hear there were no 2019 SAEs and I also need one for a Dansco album.

Spring PNNA next up.

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Swampboy said:
    Thanks for taking the time to write that report @Bochiman.
    I wish I was in town because I love that show down in Baja Tukwila.

I'm surprised to hear there were no 2019 SAEs and I also need one for a Dansco album.

Spring PNNA next up.

Spring will be Tukwila. This was the Kent Commons but, given traffic issues, it was probably better that it WAS in Kent rather than Tukwila this weekend.

The 2019s will be coming, I am sure, just none of these dealers are big enough to have gotten them yet. I'm not sure if they were even out in time for FUN folks. From what I recall, unless some of the dealers, in the past, had gone to FUN before this show, they wouldn't have had a chance to get the new SAEs, but some of the dealers that did go to FUN first, did grab some there (and then do their own markup on top of that). I'll wait :)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kent = Baja Tukwila
    ;)

• SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the nice report. For those looking for 2019 SAE, B&M in Chicago had them last week, and my local dealer in CT had them in his display today. So they are now reaching smaller dealers.

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report! Thanks!

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well written report. Thanks for taking the time. Look forward to seeing those extras on the BST.

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the relatively decent report. :naughty: I’m still on my FUN hangover. :wink:

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks. Reports always appreciated.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good comprehensive report. Accurate regarding the flat gold market.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bochiman Thanks for this Boeing report.

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, informative report. Likely much more accurate about "the market" for most collectors than the splashy, eggo boosting things from the "big rats."

(Got spellcheck fooled on that one....)

• NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent report. I was there later on Saturday, one of the Boeing Club members said that attendance was up slightly from last year. Dealer Mark Emtman says that demand for early half dollars is increasing again - especially for the early dates.

No coins for me, just an old trade token from Pioneer Square in Seattle from token dealer Mike Patton.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report, good info

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice chatting with you at the show, as always. As usual, I learned more from you than vice versa re: the show and the market.

Yep - that was me at ANACS, dropping off Carr items, mainly $20 gold pieces, Stella's and a few other odds and ends. I've had problems with the silver issues so have been grading a few of them as well just to keep them looking nice.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report! I wasn't able to attend this year, but I always love attending this local show. It's always fun to see the various Boeing trinkets offered for sale. My dad worked there for over 25 years, and it always brings back great memories.

Thanks again,
    Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report, not surprised about the gold..

• PQueuePQueue Posts: 901 ✭✭✭

RE:
    Nice, informative report. Likely much more accurate about "the market" for most collectors than the splashy, eggo boosting things from the "big rats."

Yes, this report is likely one of the most accurate reviews of the "coin market". There's a lot to learn from this report for those in the areas mentioned.

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe a similar report could be written for Central States next week. Not worth going to sell an my buying enthusiasm will be like the dealers. Going to the Marc Martel Queen show Thursday night at the Arcada St. Charles looking forward to that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file