Home U.S. Coin Forum

How Accurate Is This?

AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been thinking about buying one of these for a long time. I know what the label says and I trust PCGS but I don't see any of these 'die cracks'. My eyes are old so give me a little help. Is this really an issue of the Confederate States and what is the value? Thanks very much for your help with this.

Best Answers

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2019 7:13AM Answer ✓

The diagnostic die crack for the 1861-O Confederate issued half dollar is not very big or exciting. On a fairly well worn piece like this one, I’m a little surprised that it is that visible. Here are some close-up photos to show you what it looks like.

I have only a limited ability to download pictures from the site now. I can’t really get the photos to my picture processing software to blow them up, so I can’t tell you, myself, if this is one of those coins. Our host probably has it right. I think that I can see the crack by Ms. Liberty's head.

"Coin Facts" says a VG-8 is worth $550. The two auction results are $450 in Feb. 2015 and $558 in January 2013.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Answers

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file