Home U.S. Coin Forum

Can the weight of a coin be different for real ones?

My sons just started collecting coins and I'm sure he got few fakes but this one looks real. Except the weight is not right. Its 1796 silver dollar and weighs only 18.9 g. Is it fake for sure?? Thank you

Best Answers

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2019 5:26AM Answer ✓

There's a 99% chance that this coin is fake. Don't let him throw away his money on a fake coin. Other than inexpensive coins that only cost a few dollars, he should only buy coins that are graded and authenticated by one of the major grading services from a US coin dealer. There are literally thousands of slabbed coins available on eBay.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Answers

• I can only get a link where the coin is.. On Cz site and he is about to pay this coming Monday.
    Can you check the photos??
    www.letgo.cz/item/1365455

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

If your son can't spot potential counterfeit coins he should stop buying until he can. Counterfeit early US dollars abound on the market. I haven't looked at the coin he wants to buy as I would not even consider buying such a coin from a seller outside the US.

All glory is fleeting.
  • You're right about that, but he's young and he has no way to learn it right now. I'm glad he's into something other the phone or PC.:-) don't wanna stop it. Good point on not buying outside of US. Thank you

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2019 5:25AM

@Horselady said:
    I can only get a link where the coin is.. On Cz site and he is about to pay this coming Monday.
    Can you check the photos??
    www.letgo.cz/item/1365455

Welcome to the forums @Horselady! Pics from the link:

• Thank you all so much, gives me an idea also, it's good to learn. I will tell my son and next time he can follow your recommendations before getting into buying.

• SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 465 ✭✭✭

Also if available locally, go to a coin show. I find most, if not all, of the dealers I encountered are receptive to questions (even if you are not buying).

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Horselady said:
    You're right about that, but he's young and he has no way to learn it right now. I'm glad he's into something other the phone or PC.:-) don't wanna stop it. Good point on not buying outside of US. Thank you

Direct him to this site and have him explore the huge amount of valuable information it contains.

The coin in the photos is a crude counterfeit. He needs to stop buying and learn, learn, learn before he spends another cent.

All glory is fleeting.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

Second fake off letgo this week. Another ebayer was selling a coin he got "cheap" off letgo in the Czech republic. It was clearly fake. Another US Dollar that weighed 20 grams.

Get off letgo. Not the place to be shopping for US coins (Czech Rep).

bob :(

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

You've come to the right place. Your son, on the other hand, did not ( if he is shopping for coins on the letgo app.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file