Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Suggestions for selling a collection to a dealer?

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 18, 2019 8:00AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Which dealer or combination of dealers would...you.. send your darkside coins to for an outright purchase?
I considered Great Collections for an auction but don't know if the extra work would be a benefit.
GC sorta specializes in US.

Appreciate answer by PM to not be rocking any unintended boats.

Thanks.

Oh, nothing ultra rare. Nice coins but medium (200-2000) priced. Silver and gold only. All slabbed.
:)

Comments

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should add that I don't need a cash infusion so consignment to a REPUTABLE house would be fine, too. :)

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2019 8:25AM

Any particular areas of focus? If you have time - i would go with an auction house. Heritage does well with mid-range collections.

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

I'd send it to Airplanenut. He sells on ebay and gets great prices with low consignment fees. I've been happy using him several times now too

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am positive you will get more money with an auction but will take substantially longer. If no hurry, auction the coins.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good suggestions. No particular focus. It's only 7 coins so maybe I should just stick em on eBay.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    Good suggestions. No particular focus. It's only 7 coins so maybe I should just stick em on eBay.

Best bang for your buck is selling to a specialized collector (guaranteed a fair market retail deal), large auction house (almost guaranteed fair market retail with a possibility of getting more if the auction house tailors to the kind of coins You're selling), eBay through a great seller like Jeremy (likely market price with a possibility of leaving money on the table due to market conditions / timing) or a dealer (don't expect to get full retail, obviously)

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

If it is only 7, then unless expensive pieces, a dealer is ok.

• ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

GC seems to get decent prices for their foreign. I have a group of 10 or 12 I'm going to submit; we'll see what happens. They may not look good at first glance as they have a lot of items listed at or near retail which no one bids on.

• Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d also endorse jeremy - very easy to work with. (If the BST doesn’t work out.)

My current "Box of 20"

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Elmhurst said:
    GC seems to get decent prices for their foreign. I have a group of 10 or 12 I'm going to submit; we'll see what happens. They may not look good at first glance as they have a lot of items listed at or near retail which no one bids on.

I have consigned to them twice. I was satisfied with their service but the results were mixed. Max value was about $800 with many low priced (but mostly high quality and not widgets). Latin coinage did equal or better to what I expected mostly. South Africa was a bust. Limited to no demand elsewhere for Union. I chose them because I heard good things about them and didn't want to bother with eBay which is a lot of work for low valued material except in larger lots.

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2019 5:40PM

NVM, saw your post on BST. Cool!