Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First Time I've had to return something to the mint!

bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 17, 2019 6:36PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I've had my subs with them for about 13 yrs now. Got my 2019 SAE Proof in the mail today. Opened it up and the lid to the box was missing. Everything else ok. They can't just send me a lid, I have to return the whole thing and they will replace it.

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ouch! Now you have to get a RMA and label (a couple days), mail back (a week), mint processing (another week), and mail back to you with Smart post (week+). :/

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get used to it. I used to order 2 mint and proof cents every year plus the occasional commem half (if I liked it) and special sets. Between 2007-2013 I was sending back approx. 50% of what arrived due to scratches, stains and other poor quality coins. On at least 2 occasions, I sent the replacements back as well. I wasn't being picky and looking for MS70 coins, but the defects were easily noticeable as soon as I pulled them out of the box, so I had no choice. Now I rarely order mint products. The last time was 2 of the 2018 Silver Reverse Proof sets. And what did I get? One with a large scuff across the face of Washington on one of the ATB quarters. At least the replacement was OK.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a waste of time and energy !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2019 1:06AM

Don't you just hate it. What a hassle, first you wait and hope the post office gods don't grab you, then this. This hobby like buying a new car, when I pay the money I want it now with no screw ups!!!!

This songs for you, although most of the time it's me saying OKAY ship it already🙄

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5vYh6nh9yaI

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only once had to return a coin to the mint... an ASE with a prominent scratch in the obverse field....It was blatant and nasty...Sent it back, no hassle, return showed up quickly and was perfect. This was back in '97 I believe.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bobby, mine is due to come in any day. If I get an extra lid I'll send it to you.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bsshog40 said:
    I've had my subs with them for about 13 yrs now. Got my 2019 SAE Proof in the mail today. Opened it up and the lid to the box was missing. Everything else ok. They can't just send me a lid, I have to return the whole thing and they will replace it.

Before you waste the return postage, check with people who send their coins in for slabbing to see if they have a box they might sell you for just the shipping of that.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Not much of a problem actually. The mint emailed me a UPS paid label in less than 12 hrs. This one had a couple little spots on it anyway, maybe the next one will be better. Time really isn't much of an issue with these for me anyway. I just open the box and put it up with all my other ones. Might look at them once a year. Lol I guess I've had pretty good luck with this being my first time to return something.

• Options

@robec said:
    Bobby, mine is due to come in any day. If I get an extra lid I'll send it to you.

Thanks my friend, but gonna just send it back. They're paying for it. Lol

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope you get a real beauty as a replacement. Let us know.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully you didn't send a 70 back for a 69.

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Hopefully you didn't send a 70 back for a 69.

If it's clean, I don't care. I don't collect grades. Lol

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

^. I hear ya and know what you mean. On that note ( in jest ) I don't collect lids. :blush:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file