Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Does Anyone Take Pics of Their Cards Before Submitting?

Just wondering if anyone takes photos of their cards, at least the better ones, before submitting? I got a couple back that had small dinged corners that I am 99.9% positive weren't there before submitting...I pretty much try to only submit cards that I think can get a 10, and I look at them multiple times before deciding on the final list of ones to submit, so I don't think I would miss a ding on a corner, especially when it is a black-framed card...if you did have pics of your cards and then found a card to be "different" looking once you got it back, would their be recourse one could take? Just talking out loud and wondering if anyone has ever went back to PSA saying that a card was not returned to them in the same state it was sent to them in...

Comments

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every single time and a scan, not a picture.

Worthwhile for too many reasons to list; should be policy.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do for some.
    This one I did for sure.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

@Kep13 said:
    Just wondering if anyone takes photos of their cards, at least the better ones, before submitting? I got a couple back that had small dinged corners that I am 99.9% positive weren't there before submitting...I pretty much try to only submit cards that I think can get a 10, and I look at them multiple times before deciding on the final list of ones to submit, so I don't think I would miss a ding on a corner, especially when it is a black-framed card...if you did have pics of your cards and then found a card to be "different" looking once you got it back, would their be recourse one could take? Just talking out loud and wondering if anyone has ever went back to PSA saying that a card was not returned to them in the same state it was sent to them in...

There are a lot of threads that feature some form of this question. The best course of action is to follow the submission guidelines to the letter to avoid any unnecessary handling. It’s certainly possible for PSA to make such a mistake; it happens. But people make mistakes in how they submit cards too.

Make sure you are getting all you can right and take scans...

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

yup...I use penny sleeves and Card Saver I's and treat my cards like babies...but I haven't gone to the measure of taking scans, but guess I will start to do so in the future...

• GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

I don't and should do it in the future.

• dictoresno1dictoresno1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

I always take detailed pics and scans before I submit. more for my own liking and not necessarily to ward off shenanigans.

• Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

@stwainfan said:
    I do for some.
    This one I did for sure.

This is a beautiful card. Looks gem in every way.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2019 1:23AM

You know, I always put my cards into penny sleeves and then inserted those into card saver 1’s prior to submitting. After reading the other thread pertaining to this subject underneath the “set registry” section however, I may stop doing this. It seems that removing a card from a penny sleeve could be an extra step for graders to get to the card, thereby increasing the risk for damage. I think moving forward, I may just use card saver 1’s and 86 the penny sleeves altogether. I understand that it may not seem like a big deal. Clip a small corner off the penny sleeve and slide it in. We handle our cards carefully. We don’t know how our cards are handled once they reach Newport Beach though. The graders don’t share the same emotional attachment to our cards that we have and that’s understandable. Anything to reduce the possibility for mistakes......

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.

@Kep13 said:
    yup...I use penny sleeves and Card Saver I's and treat my cards like babies...but I haven't gone to the measure of taking scans, but guess I will start to do so in the future...

Skip the penny sleeves and this should help.

• stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gemyanks10 said:

@stwainfan said:
    I do for some.
    This one I did for sure.

This is a beautiful card. Looks gem in every way.

thanks. I hope it gets the Gem 10.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

I think with shiny cards, especially the chrome cards, one has to put in penny sleeve before inserting into the Card Saver 1 -- doesn't the risk of scratching the surface of the card when putting it into a Card Saver become a reality when not using a penny sleeve in those cases?

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Have not had issues thus far, continue to use card savers & penny sleeves.

• jayjones82jayjones82 Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited January 24, 2019 11:59PM

I'm going to for my next submission. In my most recent submission, I sent a 1955 Bowman Aaron that looked great, but came back with an "Evidence of Re-coloring." Were that not disappointing enough, there's now also a crease that runs halfway up the center, which I know, without a shadow of doubt, was not there when I submitted it.

• wadevlwadevl Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

I do videos, but scans would be ideal

Lucky
    BIGLEAGUE SportsCards
    "Respect The Hobby"
    www.bigleaguesc.com
    https://www.ebay.com/str/bigleagueseller

@Kep13 said:
    I think with shiny cards, especially the chrome cards, one has to put in penny sleeve before inserting into the Card Saver 1 -- doesn't the risk of scratching the surface of the card when putting it into a Card Saver become a reality when not using a penny sleeve in those cases?

For what it’s worth?

I agree completely on the shiny stuff - so my way around it is to put the penny sleeve over the card upside down, place the card in the Card Saver I (or whatever holder you use) and then carefully remove the penny sleeve.

I also think that people ignore the submission guidelines at their own peril. If you don’t, people (and not necessarily graders) have to transfer the cards from the holder it was sent to them in to the desired Card Savers the graders want them in for their part of the process. Then those ‘graded’ cards go the the slabbers - and again, there’s risk here, too - when the card is to be encased and after it has been graded. Again, damaged cards seems pretty rare to me. But based off cards in cases that clearly don’t match the assigned grade (newer ones, especially), this is kind of how it happens, I think.

Anyone with better insight, corrections or additional information can and should add it here...