Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First purchase of 2019 ... A Columbian half dollar in a pouch

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the beginning of the year, someone started a thread about “first purchases for 2019.” That series seems to have gone to back page, so I decided to post my purchase by itself.

Here is an 1893 Columbian half dollar with the pouch in which it was issued. I have little doubt that this is the original coin because it is toned on way that one might expect for a coin that has been in leather for many years. This is one of the more common pouches which simply reads, “Columbian Exposition 1492 – 1892 Chicago.”

According to Anthony Swiatek, who is a former ANA president, dealer and authority on U.S. commemorative coins, there were no official exposition holders and mailing envelopes. There were, however, a number of holders that banks and other private concerns issued. Sometimes a pouch like this contained a Proof-like coin, and this is one of those examples. It is NOT a Proof coin by any means. The coin has a light rub on the obverse so it is only a Choice AU, but the toning and the luster are quite attractive. This close to the color of the piece when viewed in person, but not exactly.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool coin and holder.

• Options
    MorganMan94MorganMan94 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the holder, great find!

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool pouch. :star:

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2019 8:26AM

Great buy! That pouch doesn’t look a day old!

I wonder if there are any photographic history of the pouches?

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s very cool; nice first purchase of 2019!

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the 1/2 ton of Columbians I've owned, (almost....a large dealer here, back during the first boom, saved them from the 90 stuff. I bought almost a half bag of them.) I've never had a pouch......Very cool !

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

The dealer, Anthony Swiatek, himself, made the comment that the pouch looked like it had been brought here on the Star Trek transporter. ;)

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pick up!

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's about as cool as a Columbian Half can get!! Thanks for sharing!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very well kept ...... the leather pouch and the coin too. Congrats! :)

• Options
    KeithMS70KeithMS70 Posts: 192 ✭✭✭

The pouch’s is beyond cool

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice I like :)

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, very nice, congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing!

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the pouch! Never saw one before.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat to see such anincredibly preserved leather pouch. Interesting toning on the coin, too.

• Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice/very interesting. Thanks for posting.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dote on that pouch.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

That pouch is in phenomenal condition.

I've never seen one before.

Thanks for posting.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    JustMe2JustMe2 Posts: 179 ✭✭

@BillJones said:

@Zoins said:

The dealer, Anthony Swiatek, himself, made the comment that the pouch looked like it had been brought here on the Star Trek transporter. ;)

That would be an incorrect analogy as the transporter moves stuff through space and not time :wink:

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2019 11:07PM

@JustMe2 said:

@BillJones said:

@Zoins said:

That would be an incorrect analogy as the transporter moves stuff through space and not time :wink:

Yes, you would need to bombard it with chronometric particles ;)

• Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2019 3:55AM

Cool💎 I like it🎊 You must have been a bad boy, about time it got here.🎉

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mER2fGuSqF8

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beam me up Scotty. I would definitely choose a display slab for the coin and holder, side by side. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was a great coin to see in hand, opening up the pouch and out it came, I got to hold it between my thumb and index finger and enjoy its beauty. Thanks for posting Bill!

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on your find Bill.
    I wonder how old the pouch is exactly and if it might not even date to the exposition.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file