Home U.S. Coin Forum

A very special $2.5 Liberty

lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

My mother gifted this to me years ago and I've held onto it ever since. This piece was engraved to commemorate my great grandfathers' First Communion. My lone piece of gold, and one I'll not part with... even though it's dreck.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Comments

• fcfc Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭

Interesting die break. I wonder if anyone can tell us what mint made it from that.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not dreck.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    What a beautiful heirloom ...... a dear piece you hold for generations to come <3 Thank you for sharing :)

Your great-grandfather's parents must be well to do back then and I am glad to see such piece is being kept in the family for over a decade.

My namesake was literally one generation "off the boat". His father came here from Ireland in 1845 to escape the potato famine. I'm not certain of how they made their money... what business they were in, etc... but I was told this piece represented a lot of hours work. Hmmmm.... I'm sensing a genealogy thing coming on... ;-)

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice piece. Nothing wrong with that.

• mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

That's not dreck. That's really cool! Never ever sell that! What an heirloom!

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, I like it !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very special family history.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice and an interesting piece of history. Thanks for sharing with us.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

well, I like it, so send it over

Frank

BHNC #203

• SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2019 6:41AM

Extremely cool thanks for sharing.

Are there spelling variations with ‘Kenific’ and ‘Kenefic’ ?

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool and with an old family connection. Absolutely not dreck.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2019 6:47AM

All I got was a scapular medal. ( for those who don't know), it was not even metal. :joy:

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    What a beautiful heirloom ...... a dear piece you hold for generations to come <3 Thank you for sharing :)

Your great-grandfather's parents must be well to do back then and I am glad to see such piece is being kept in the family for over a decade.

You mean over a century? ;)
    Very cool piece of family history!

@SeattleSlammer said:
    Extremely cool thanks for sharing.

Are there spelling variations with ‘Kenific’ and ‘Kenefic’ ?

Yes, there were different spellings of my last name over the centuries... we started out as O'Kennaugh in County Cork, Dublin (ca late 17th C). From there, it dispersed in Ireland to O'Kennefeck. Once my distant relatives came to this country in the mid 19th Century, the dropped the "O" and shortened it. I guess they didn't want to sound so... "Irish"... ;-)

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not dreck. Love token and a nice one.

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, very special. Does she get to go out to see the daylight on occasion or is she locked away so she will not get lost? You might consider writing up the history to pass down with the coin as future generations more removed may not pass the knowledge as well to the next line.

@Martin said:
    I'm not sure what the definition of dreck is. But that is not it
    Nice piece

Martin

There was actually a method to my madness for initiating this thread. I posted as a response to the thread asking that very question... what is dreck?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1012325/how-do-you-define-dreck#latest

Moreover, I also wanted to share what I consider to be a pretty cool piece in my collection and one to which I share personal history.

In the technical Websters' definition of the term "dreck", this piece would fit. It's been "damaged" (engraved, rim bump), worn, and has had a gold post soldered onto it effectively turning it into jewelry. At once, I'm reminded of the Morgan and Peace Dollars that were painted to make them more sellable? I don't know... So, in the technical sense, yes, this piece is dreck; however, within the context of my personal collection, and as many have noted on this thread, it's decidedly NOT dreck! In fact, I'd sell most everything else before selling this. Thus, perhaps dreck is in the eye of the beholder...

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

A gold love token, a family piece... That's just plain awesome! Not dreck at all

• habaracahabaraca Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

That piece represents your beginnings...

Without ole Grand dad you wouldn't be here.... Most cool and special piece

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2019 10:01AM

$2.50 was two days' pay (10-12 hour day) for a streetcar/trolley motorman in Philadelphia, or a day and a half for an Adjuster at the Philadelphia Mint.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a family heirloom... and something to be cherished through the generations. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file