Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do all of your coins have a story that you connect with them?

HallcoHallco Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 15, 2019 4:39PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I don't mean the life of the coin itself...I'm talking about a story of how you obtained it and a personal connection with it more than just "Ohhhhhh....that's nice!!! I like it, I'm buying it"!!! I think for a long time I was a coin accumulator. That could be why I lost interest and eventually sold 99.549% of what I had in 2008. The couple of coins I did keep had stories for me, real connections that meant something. I think that's why I refused to part with them even though I didn't realistically think I would ever be interested in coins again...at least not on a collecting basis. This time around I am trying to have a story for each one I add to my collection. Like everything...some stories will be a little better than others! ;) What about you? Feel free to give examples if you'd like! :)

Comments

• SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not all, but many do. 1859 Indian cent found one with my Dad, It was beneath built in wall drawers at our old house after that find the coin bug bit me.
    1853-O A&R SL Half flipped one once over paying a price of either $250 or $200 at Webb's coins 45 years ago.
    1838-0 Seated Dime comments by Breen in his Encyclopedia of Coins about the beauty of the coin without stars.
    Albany commemorative because it's where I am from.
    Too many others to mention.

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a trade dollar that was in a collection of things my grandfather left to me. I don’t even keep it with my coins. I used to use it as a pocket piece, but now it’s kept safe on my dresser with my watches. It was given to him when he retired from the railroad. I will pass it down to my daughter when the time comes.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

My story typically goes like this: "I have extra money. I see a nice coin. Now I don't have as much money". Lol. In reality, very few stories. If I buy a coin I REALLY like, I try to ask the seller if they know the story/history of the coin. A few do, most don't. My omega came with a bit of known history, which I like.

• KccoinKccoin Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of my "keepers" will take me back to the who/when/how I obtained the coin. For example, I have an inexpensive silver dime I bought at a B&M. Every time I look at the coin, I smile at all the stories L has told me over the years. In this instance, the relationship makes the coin priceless

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2019 2:43PM

The coins that I collected when I was a little kid have the most meaning. Some that my mom, dad, uncle, or aunt gave me. I can look at them today and they are special. Those coins all have a story. So long ago.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes-mainly those I've cherrypicked, both for die varieties and for color.

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2019 9:43PM

<3

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1004752/the-give-a-gift-to-paradisefound-thread--we-did-it

<3 Once upon a time ...... home from a long field day I found a newly created thread especially addressed to me.

Surprised beyond believe ...... A group of 39 members (Smudge & Raybo with double contributions) decided to pool together for an exclusive error from the SullivanNumismatic one late morning and with the power of numbers they reached their goal that day 9/1.

B) 9/6 Straight from the postal hand to the South Maui sand box

edited January 15, 2019 9:24PM

<3 An Event I will NEVER forget Ever in my Life <3 I love you ALL <3

It was back in September 2018 but still fresh as a daisy in my mind as well as in my heart :)

Wonderful childhood story @BuffaloIronTail .... I really enjoy reading <3

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    Wonderful childhood story @BuffaloIronTail .... I really enjoy reading <3

Thanks, PF. Memories do last longer than time itself.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like for my coins and silver to have a story if possible, even if it's something simple like friends I saw the day I bought it, etc. Some coins, and silver, remind me of the times when I got them and that definitely adds to my enjoyment of them.

• GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2019 10:46PM

edited January 17, 2019 9:11AM

Buffaloiron tail, your post is wonderful. That's what it's all about. I'm pretty sure most of us old guys around here have similar stories. The people who helped us along. Our REAL mentors. Our moms, dads, uncles, aunts, grandparents, and neighbors. I think we tend to lose sight as we chase that rarity, high grade widget. Take a moment friends. Remember how it all started and who was there and knew what you needed. We're all still little kids at heart in this hobby.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, Hy. I'll never forget those days.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Thank you, Pete. You made my day.

• ronctxronctx Posts: 106 ✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2019 3:02PM

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2019 12:13PM

With me, it's more of a recurring theme. I turn over copious amounts of cash, I receive a coin in return. It's kind of like the movie Groundhog Day.

Abi gezunt

Bob

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can remember when I purchased most of the nice coins I have. Those are almost all pleasant memories.

When is more important are the historical stories around each piece. Most of the coins I buy have some sort of history connected with them. I don't buy many "hole fillers" these days.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story there, Pete!

• TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2019 1:42PM

Guess the only "story" I have, (that isn't purely where I bought it, and from whom), is my Bust Dollar.

I went to Vegas for my brother's wedding, and played chaperone and guide to my parents for the entire stay. Possibly as pay-back for my good deed, the Gambling Gods made it the only trip to Vegas where I can honestly say I won! I even hit a minor jackpot at the flippin' airport, where the slots are pretty tight. I left after that weekend with about $500 in my pocket, even after paying for food and lodging. (Ok....small time bettor, small time collector. It all fits together). :)

Anyway, at the time (and probably even now, with inflation), Bust Dollars were/are well out of my price range. But I took that money to Long Beach, and bought the VG-8, 1798 Bust Dollar, for $490 from John McIntosh.

It will forever be my Vegas Dollar.

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not all, but some do... I posted an engraved $2.5 Liberty the other day, but I do have others. This particular Morgan Dollar was given to me by my grandfather. I was about 11 years old at the time (~1972)

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have two Barber dimes from a roll that my mother found for me in San Francisco in the early 60's. The roll included two uncirculated 01-S beauties, which I sold many years ago along with all but the last two circulated coins, which I recently had slabbed as momentos. Also have an Australian crown that my dad brought back from his time in the Pacific in WWII, now in plastic for posterity.

• LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

ALL of them?... No.

Some of them, for sure :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file