Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Post the coin that started your current set!

I'm interested to see the coins that were nice enough to inspire our community members to go down the rabbit hole. Here's mine, an 1873-S Trade Dollar w/ Chop Mark, MS62. While it wasn't the first chopmarked Trade Dollar I owned, it was the first that was a condition rarity, and started my current date set of high AU/MS Trade Dollars with chop marks.

Comments

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭

Started a Dansco Dollar Date set album with this coin
    Started a few days ago
    Already cracked it out of its "Tomb"

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    This Lincoln bought in 2011 ...

Led to this Obsession ...

Now _that's _an amazing display! Love the coin board image format. Kind of tough to call that 57-D brown, huh?

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Occasional forays into other minor projects aside, I've been a type collector these past fifteen years. I think this is the one that started me down that road -- I found it at a small show and thought, "neat, I've never had one of those before!" To me, it's sort of the quintessential awesome workingman's coin in my set, more or less the definition of "Gem circulated." It's still one of my favorite coins.

mirabela
  • Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are the two that started it all...
    1798-1812 HEs

1838-C - 1861-C HEs

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2019 10:48AM

This one not only started my merc complete variety set, but varieties in general. It is my 1st variety coin.

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I got this one, I decided to try the peace $ super set.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one started the gold type set:

• Options
  • Options

And this, I believe is the start to southern gold. >:)

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can think of a few that have led me to build sets.

50-coin commem type set (complete)

$5 Liberty mint mark set (almost done)

This is probably the one that got me building a British Trade Dollar set. (over half way, but not likely completable)

I find myself with 6 bust dollars in my collection, and I blame this one

And this is the one that sent me into the VAM vortex over 20 years ago (1891 VAM 2).

I couldn't tell you which coin led me to do a Prime Number Set, as it started with pieces I already had for one reason or another.

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've shown this before but it is worth showing again considering the topic of this thread. When I bought this Capital holder in 1975 it was full. I had a few other liberty $5.00 gold coins but really hadn't thought about "collecting" them.

When I got this baby in my hands I thought "what would it take to get the previous 24?". Well I finally accomplished that 37 years later in April of 2012 with the purchase of a 1892-O.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first PCGS Lincoln Cent bought 3/9/03 for $20 off the bay.

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    mrcommemmrcommem Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭

Branch gold dollars. I bought this coin from Jack Hancock back in the late 1990's. Caught the gold bug. This was the first coin in my Dahlonega Type and the first branch gold dollar. Only 5 more dollars to go.

• Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe I bought this from Brandon. Apologies for the slightly out of focus photo.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file