Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Placing a Dealer Personal Box of Twenty into Business Inventory

ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dealers, what are your thoughts of putting your personal box of 20 into business inventory if you have one. I created my business by putting the bulk of my personal collection into inventory over the last two years. I held out on the best which I put in my box of twenty. I have some very ambitious business goals this year and by putting my box up, I can get a jump on what I want to do this year.

Thoughts .......

Comments

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2019 9:00AM

If that gets you to your new goals, go for it! You can always create a new Box of 20 with your profits.

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

I guess it is fine to do that as long as you do not immediately start buying again in 2019 for your new box of 20. Otherwise what was the point? ;-)

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2019 9:09AM

I’d be okay letting those go but we likely have different tastes for a permanent collection. I’d keep the waffled Martha Washington pattern but you’ve offered it for some time now. Wondering if, and when, I could pick it up ;)

Overall, I don’t think you need 20 but it’s nice to have a few showcase pieces that represent your specialty. And here, I can see how the Martha Washington piece may be on the esoteric side to keep.

Good luck on achieving your business goals!

• Options

@fc said:
    I guess it is fine to do that as long as you do not immediately start buying again in 2019 for your new box of 20. Otherwise what was the point? ;-)

I pland> @Catbert said:

Stealth spam?

Business discussion.

• Options
    edited January 15, 2019 9:09AM

@Zoins said:
    I’d be okay letting those go but we likely have different tastes for a permanent collection. I’d keep the waffled Martha Washington pattern but you’ve offered it for some time now. Wondering if, and when, I could pick it up ;)

Overall, I don’t think you need 20 but it’s nice to have a few showcase pieces that represent your specialty.

I now treat my Business inventory as my "personal" collection, which keeps getting better day by day.

• Options
    edited January 15, 2019 9:12AM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Zoins said:

Overall, I don’t think you need 20 but it’s nice to have a few showcase pieces that represent your specialty.

I now treat my Business inventory as my "personal" collection, which keeps getting better day by day.

Get them pedigreed to you before you sell! Jeff Shevlin does this a lot for the nicer So-Called Dollars he handles. I think it helps build up his reputation.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Zoins said:

Get them pedigreed to you before you sell! Jeff Shevlin does this a lot for the So-Called Dollars he handles. I think it helps build up his reputation.

Too expensive and I am not vain. I already have about 400 certified mint errors. Could you image If Fred pedigreed his inventory :o:o:o

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins Have you had an issue where an error could not be slabbed due to the size (i.e. off-center)?

• Options

@Hemispherical said:
    @ErrorsOnCoins Have you had an issue where an error could not be slabbed due to the size (i.e. off-center)?

No. Many error coins are in Thick holders and some are in Oversize holders.

• Options
    edited January 15, 2019 9:20AM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Hemispherical said:

No. Many error coins are in Thick holders and some are in Oversize holders.

I’ve seen thick holders from ATS. Do PCGS or others also have them?

• Options

Yes, PCGS has a Thick holder

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins have you showcased any of your coins on “Mint Error News”. I’ve seen both Mike Byers (his magazine) and Fred showcase their coins there.

• Options
    edited January 15, 2019 9:33AM

@Zoins said:
    @ErrorsOnCoins have you showcased any of your coins on “Mint Error News”. I’ve seen both Mike Byers (his magazine) and Fred showcase their coins there.

No, not yet. Mike Byers can call me anytime ;)

I have however provided photos of my coins to Mike Diamond for articles in Coinworld.

The Cent is my coin and photo.

• Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect things that I believe to be really and truly special. I will sell something from time to time, but I can't imagine putting a substantial number of coins out for sale at once. Maybe I shouldn't be a dealer.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options

@Regulated said:
    I collect things that I believe to be really and truly special. I will sell something from time to time, but I can't imagine putting a substantial number of coins out for sale at once. Maybe I shouldn't be a dealer.

I found that by becoming a dealer, I have access (financially) to even better special coins.

• Options

It was actually a box of 22 ....

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW what a box ........ couldn't wait to see your listing! Good luck :)

• Options

Where is the Ike Dollar on the quarter planchet?

• Options

@Connecticoin said:

Not part of my personal collection, but here it is ....

• Options

Nice! Looks like a box of 20 coin to me, but I sense you would rather have the cash than the coin.

• Options

@Connecticoin said:
    Nice! Looks like a box of 20 coin to me, but I sense you would rather have the cash than the coin.

No, it is about quality inventory first, cash second. Cash goes into new coins anyway as I am trying to Grow my inventory.

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a good idea for either party. Insurance room condition and access are just a few issues that come to mind. Are you paying a storage fee? How do you describe it in your insurance policy. Might be better to have a written agreement.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ask yourself if you are a collector or a dealer or both. If a collector who deals, keep the box. If you are a dealer, sell the box. If you are a dealer who collects, keep only those that you would regret selling if you NEVER had the chance to buy them back and sell the rest.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't a collector/dealer who puts his collection into inventory simply selling his collection? :*

I guess I am missing some finer distinction here....

• Options

@JBK said:
    Isn't a collector/dealer who puts his collection into inventory simply selling his collection? :*

I guess I am missing some finer distinction here....

No, because I am aggressively Buying new coins for inventory.

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭

For tax purposes, can you just interchange personal collection / business inventory like that?

• Options

I am the sole owner, my assets are my assets.

I do have a tax accountant.

• Options
    TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2019 3:33PM

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Connecticoin said:

Not part of my personal collection, but here it is ....

Interesting! I was born in Taiwan. And I have no idea that Taiwanese coins were mint in the U.S. I would like to get my hand on this slab if the price is right.

• Options
    JGRCJGRC Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

I recommend keeping the coins and only selling a coin after you have replaced it with something better. I have sold my "box of 20" twice in the past. These were monster toned 1c, 5c, 10c, 25c, and high-end MS66 and MS67 Morgans. They were sold before PCGS added the plus designation. Most of the coins have since upgraded to a higher grade that I cannot afford now. It is easy for me to obtain new inventory. It is difficult to find one of a kind "keeper" coins that are not priced at multiples of which I wish to buy or sell.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2019 3:52PM

I used my Draped Bust half cent die variety collection plus $10,000 to start my business in the mid 1990s.

I have an accounting degree so I kept my own records, but I had a CPA do my taxes for my wife and me. The tax laws change so much you need professional help if you return is at all complicated. Mine was.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ScootersdadScootersdad Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

I believe you answered your own question.

• Options
    basalstatebasalstate Posts: 71 ✭✭✭

There is the issue of paying taxes on purchases, or not if you have a resale certificate. This is one area where the co-mingling of business and personal property gets sticky.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

@basalstate said:
    There is the issue of paying taxes on purchases, or not if you have a resale certificate. This is one area where the co-mingling of business and personal property gets sticky.

I am pretty certain that anyone with a resale cert for their business doesn't pay (sales) taxes on their personal purchases. :o

• Options

@pruebas said:

@basalstate said:

I am pretty certain that anyone with a resale cert for their business doesn't pay (sales) taxes on their personal purchases. :o

I have no "personal" coins at this time. Only Business Inventory.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you can obtain a fair price for them in this market, go for it!

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2019 8:24PM

Error,

Knowing how cheaply you purchased these error coins on Ebay I couldn't live with myself paying a retail markup. :);)

The 1962 Quarter struck on a dime planchet is really bad a$$. Ditto the quarter on the cent planchet. I don't collect errors but a lot of those coins I would never sell if I owned them. Way too cool.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, absolutely amazing, thank you for sharing !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2019 5:03AM

Everything in my core collection has a number at which I would part with it. I recently sold a few coins, errors, medals, and tokens at such numbers I won't endure any separation anxiety over. I didn't need the money so a portion came in handy buying a furloughed friends collection and allowing him a year to buy it back interest free.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic set of errors.

Some major sloppiness must have been taking place at the Denver and Phiily Mints in 1962. Maybe the workers were into 3 Martini lunches.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

I gave up the love for collecting a decade ago. It's been tough loving the collectors , ever since.
    And that's corporate affairs in a nutshell. No personal collection and nothing personal. A Coin Shop and acoinshop.com for sale. No spam intended.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2019 8:15AM

Everything I have is for sale. Are you somebody who will pay the money?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2019 8:16AM

I have not looked at other replies but I bet some neer-do-well has accused you of spam..... I disagree!

Awesome coins. I say put them in your inventory and move on to the next adventure.... :star:

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    I gave up the love for collecting a decade ago. It's been tough loving the collectors , ever since.
    And that's corporate affairs in a nutshell. No personal collection and nothing personal. A Coin Shop and acoinshop.com for sale. No spam intended.

Gave you a LOL for the "No Spam Intended" only :)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    happycollectinghappycollecting Posts: 264 ✭✭✭✭

Nice set of 22 errors, ErrorsOnCoins. Always glad to see your error photos, and great to see your personal box of 20. With every coin under a 1962 theme, it's surely a tough decision to make.

• Options

happycollecting, do you own your avatar. If so, that is an extremely nice coin !!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file