Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I have a World Coin (Mexico cap & rays 1/2 real) with a mechanical error...

I know this is likely a stretch, but is there an established and trustworthy CU Forum member that has multiple World coins with mechanical errors that need to be corrected by PCGS? If so, I would be super appreciative and certainly cover my share of the cost involved if I could piggyback with my one coin.

The coin in question is an 1859-Mo FH 1/2R PCGS MS66 which is slabbed as a 1R in error.

Cert verification displays the coin incorrectly as a 1R. The pop report needs to be adjusted...this would be a top pop if added to the pop report as a 1/2R and by removing it from the 1R pop report, an MS65 would become the new top pop. I know...crazy and messy!!

My hope of course is that PCGS would reholder World Gold Shield and take a TrueView image.

I have added images of the slab and coin below.

If anyone can help, please let me know.

Thanks/Jeff

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a 1 Real to me. That would be too big for a 1/2. I see something going on with the 1 that makes it look like it might be 1/2 but don't think it is.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Looks like a 1 Real to me. That would be too big for a 1/2. I see something going on with the 1 that makes it look like it might be 1/2 but don't think it is.

It is a 1/2 real. Clearly on the reverse.

• Options

That doesn't look like a 1/2 to me(die break through the 1?)....wish I could enlarge the picture more. It is hard to say. I don't have either now but doesn't that look the size of a 1 real?

@Abuelo said:

@amwldcoin said:

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely looks like pcgs got this one right. 1R not a 1/2. No pop manipulation going on?

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    That doesn't look like a 1/2 to me(die break through the 1?)....wish I could enlarge the picture more. It is hard to say. I don't have either now but doesn't that look the size of a 1 real?

@Abuelo said:

@amwldcoin said:

Its a 1/2 Real. Size looks ok. Check out some past auctions on Heritage, there are a few in slabs that will show you the comparable size.

• Options

Ya know when I sit here and force my feeble brain to remember I believe you guys are right. A 1 Reale is about the diameter of a nickel...right?

@TwoKopeiki said:

@amwldcoin said:

@Abuelo said:

@amwldcoin said:

Its a 1/2 Real. Size looks ok. Check out some past auctions on Heritage, there are a few in slabs that will show you the comparable size.

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your comments guys. I have the slab in question sitting right next to a slabbed cap & rays 1R. The size difference is unmistakable. I measured the diameter of both coins as best as I could from outside the slab. The 1/2 R looks to be about 16 mm, the 1R perhaps 20-21 mm. I acquired the coin from Heritage a couple of years back and they cataloged it as a 1/2 R. But the best evidence is looking at the images of the two 65's in the pop report. On both of those, the fraction is very mushy...see link below --

https://www.pcgs.com/valueview/1-2-real-1825-1869/1859-mo-fh-1-2-r/5323?sn=516544&h=pop

Jeff

• Options

@abcde12345 said:
    Definitely looks like pcgs got this one right. 1R not a 1/2. No pop manipulation going on?

LOL, no manipulation...rather, I would love to get the pop report correct and cert number verification straightened out so that I can use the coin for Registry Set purposes.

Jeff

• Options

It's easy to mix up the 1/2 for a 1 on this series due to weak strike. Easiest way to tell is that the 1 is roughly the same height as the R and the 1/2 is much taller.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• Options

@cecropiamoth - why piggy back on someone else's submission vs sending it in yourself? Also, sounds like you might 2 things done (fixing the label, which should be free, and reholdering in a Secure Plus holder, which probably carries a fee). Ideally PCGS should do the label fix and re-holder into an SP holder by default, but i would call their customer support line to confirm. I have a suspicion that you might have to pay for the SP reholder.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

C'mon guys, it clearly reads on the reverse of the coin 1/2R...

• Options

@Abuelo said:
    C'mon guys, it clearly reads on the reverse of the coin 1/2R...

Sure does.

• Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, did you send it to PCGS?

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter

• Options

@1984worldcoins said:
    So, did you send it to PCGS?

Yes sir!!! Submitted it at Central States in April 2019.

Jeff

• Options
    1984worldcoins1984worldcoins Posts: 596 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great result, I think, also the picture is very nice!

Coinsof1984@martinb6830 on twitter