Home U.S. Coin Forum

One creative way to give a grade on ebay with the coin in a 2 x 2 flip!

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never seen this before - pretty creative! :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I'd of thought of that. :D

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't know if they will still do it, but there was a time when Ebay would remove listings that had ANY mention of a grade on a raw coin.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have seen a lot of raw coin auctions with a numerical grade in them lately. I thought the bots catch all those even before you list the item, so not sure how those slip through. This one they probably listed as a PCGS coin though. No biggie to me, the coin looks like it was really graded 64, before it was cracked out, probably to put in an album.

• 1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

You gotta love those crack-outs even the 2x2 says it was an "ex-PCGS" what good is an "EX-Anything" why not try for a regrade? or up grade.

• ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 618 ✭✭✭✭

The bottom staple was not replaced. Not only that but most of the coin is covered up. Hmmmm! 🧐

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first impulse would be to pass.... however, since the product is the coin, it would be worthwhile to assess it in hand. I would not bid on it in an auction though. Cheers, RickO

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is not allowed under ebay policy.

Many happy BST transactions
  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a seller who writes a high grade on the 2x2 for every coin he sells, and they always go for moon money. I would spend a lot of time reporting them, and ebay finally started deleting them. Now, he still writes a high grade on there, but draws a line through it (you can still read it obviously). Apparently that was enough for ebay, as I can't get them removed anymore.

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy the tape/label, not the coin!

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

Thank goodness it was not a Gen 1 label!

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Connecticoin said:

Looks like a label from an old rattler slab, There's a good chance the coin has a problem and has never been slabbed.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

@PerryHall said:

@Connecticoin said:

Looks like a label from an old rattler slab, There's a good chance the coin has a problem and has never been slabbed.

I looked up the auction. The coin actually looks like a nice 64, so it seems to me the seller is not lying. Not worth $80 though, unless the variety goes for a decent premium.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just bypass the numeric grade. PO- MS , and everything in between is a "grade". Ebay just won't allow us to assign a number. Silly as it seems, that's the way of the world today.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Same coin?

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Connecticoin said:
    I have seen a lot of raw coin auctions with a numerical grade in them lately. I thought the bots catch all those even before you list the item, so not sure how those slip through. This one they probably listed as a PCGS coin though. No biggie to me, the coin looks like it was really graded 64, before it was cracked out, probably to put in an album.

Their bots are decent, but they can only catch text, not something in an image. For example, if you have "MS64" in the title and don't specify a grading company as an item specific, the listing will get blocked. Write something like "UNC 64" and it will go through. And for the record, I only know this after selling ICCS coins. The grading company isn't allowed, at least with eBay US (possibly okay in Canada), but so many listings call out ICCS that you can't really list an ICCS coin as completely raw and compete.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

It gets an A for creativity, for sure.

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great photography and an accurate description surpasses any numerical grade......assuming the buyer can agree.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• ARCOARCO Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 16, 2019 9:42AM

So, I guess in this case you are buying the insert tab, not the plastic and not the coin. Are there pictures of the coin unobstructed?

• clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:
    There is a seller who writes a high grade on the 2x2 for every coin he sells, and they always go for moon money. I would spend a lot of time reporting them, and ebay finally started deleting them. Now, he still writes a high grade on there, but draws a line through it (you can still read it obviously). Apparently that was enough for ebay, as I can't get them removed anymore.

And all those coins look like garbage, and hidden in low light.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Always hated the inability to post a numerical grade on eBay unless the coin is slabbed by an “authorized” tpg. Grading existed way before the tpgs - it’s not like trademarked language or something.

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crack out gone wild!

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's different but wicked smart as well

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would anyone do that. Just leave it alone in its original slab !!! :'(

Timbuk3
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay must be loosening up as I've seen PCI , SEGS, and NCS mention lately in titles.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:
    eBay must be loosening up as I've seen PCI , SEGS, and NCS mention lately in titles.

Perhaps they're catching on to what 99.9% of coin collectors already know about coin grading........nothing!

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow
    Pedigree afficiandos should be all over this

Ex-PCGS
    Winner!

• georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

I frequently put grades on my raw coins like this : mint state suhixty fore

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights