Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Don “H2O” Haley's Collection of Hobos at FUN

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 14, 2019 7:34PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone follow the sale of Don “H2O” Haley's Hobo Nickel Collection? I like hobos and have dabbled in them but haven't gotten too serious about them yet. However, I'm a Ron Landis fan and picked up some of his Gallery Mint pieces.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2018/12/hobo-nickels-in-heritage-fun-auction.all.html

The Don “H2O” Haley Hobo Nickel Collection includes more than 1,100 of these charming carvings on Indian Head 5-cent pieces, including nearly 300 by classic-era carvers (pre-1940), with some later carvings by “Bo” Hughes included in that number. The balance of the hobo nickels were created by transitional, early-modern, and modern carvers.

This signed cameo self-portrait by Bo Hughes sold for $7,500.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/hobo-nickels/nickels-buffalo-nickels/full-cameo-carving-bo-self-portrait-signed-gh-52/a/1291-4955.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won’t see him til next week’s show, but I’m betting I know who won many of them, or at the least was the underbidder on many... @Hobosapian

How did you make out Chris?

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shame he used a buffalo with 4 legs.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is really good work... I have always been intrigued by Hobo Nickels... and have long hoped to find an original....And when I say 'find', I mean just that... I know they are available for princely sums... so I look for them in other venues....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was watching. I thought of throwing my hat into the ring on one or two of them, but they went for really strong money! Lovely pieces, though

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watched and bid a handful, but most went for what I thought was very strong money

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got a couple that I thought were decent values compared to some of the others:

• Options
    BigpoppasBigpoppas Posts: 241 ✭✭✭

Do you know the reason that Don sold his collection ??
    I dealt with him through emails for a few years as he was the OHNS Treasurer and he is a wonderful and most trusting person .
    I hope everything is okay .

• Options
    HobosapianHobosapian Posts: 72 ✭✭✭

I bought 1/2 of the value in the auction. I won every coin I wanted except one, where I was the backbidder. The amazing stuff went strong, everything else went soft. I actually bought one lot I was prepared to pay $10k for and I won it for $1,300. :)

Chris Dempsey
    Dempsey & Baxter Rare Coins
    6032 Peach Street
    Erie, PA 16509
  • Options
    EdtheloraxEdthelorax Posts: 229 ✭✭✭

@Hobosapian said:
    I bought 1/2 of the value in the auction. I won every coin I wanted except one, where I was the backbidder. The amazing stuff went strong, everything else went soft. I actually bought one lot I was prepared to pay $10k for and I won it for $1,300. :)

So where does that leave your date set, What are you missing?
    Will there be any in the store? Save me one.

http://www.silverstocker.com
    Anyone can PM me Any Time about Any thing.

• Options
    HobosapianHobosapian Posts: 72 ✭✭✭

I need original hobo nickels on the following dates: 1924-S, 1925-S, 1925-D, 1926-D. Then I will have finished the date set. :)

Chris Dempsey
    Dempsey & Baxter Rare Coins
    6032 Peach Street
    Erie, PA 16509

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file